The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maiden voyage!

+6
Paulmold
Paramedic
Bulletguy
Kingham
Gromit
Lorfal
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Maiden voyage! Empty Maiden voyage!

Post by Lorfal Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:34 pm

yayyy! At last it’s ours!!! Lol so maiden voyage from Durham to Rannoch .....nightmare at Edinburgh grrrr . Anway it’s in the drive all hooked up. Been reading and fiddling with stuff. Find the Truma panel quite complicated, though I’m sure it’s because it’s new to us. Read and re read the manual. Sure it will all make sense soon. Now I’m quite used to putting a van on hookup but I found the supplied cable didn’t fit well at the van side, not sure if it’s just me or anyone else found this? It’s the dust cap on the actual hookup, doesn5 allow the plug to go in so have had to remove the dust cap to get a connection .

I asked all the questions on my list copmiled after everyone’s feedback. So thank you.up! I think the handover could have gone a little better as I’m not 100% sure the tech guy was really knowledgable. Had a couple of ‘don’t knows ‘or ‘ask the salesman’ .

Tomorrow we will stock it up ready for a few days away over the weekend maybe. So I’ll be reading lots and asking you guys lots I’m sure!
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Maiden voyage! Empty Re: Maiden voyage!

Post by Gromit Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Lorfal wrote:Find the Truma panel quite complicated, though I’m sure it’s because it’s new to us. Read and re read the manual. Sure it will all make sense soon. Now I’m quite used to putting a van on hookup but I found the supplied cable didn’t fit well at the van side, not sure if it’s just me or anyone else found this? It’s the dust cap on the actual hookup, doesn5 allow the plug to go in so have had to remove the dust cap to get a connection .
The dust cap first.

Lift it right up and push the plug in underneath. When you want to remove it press down on the lever to disengage the securing catch, and pull out the plug. It does work - I had to train Mrs Gromit as well, although I'm still not sure I've succeeded!  Whistle1  lol4

The Truma Panel. 

No, you are not being dim. It does get a lot easier once you are used to it, but I don't find it at all intuitive. To me, a flashing icon means a fault, but on the Truma panel it means the water or space heating is not up to temperature.

Watch this about 20 times and you may be getting there. Why does modern technology NOT make things easier to operate!!!!  shrugg

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Glad you are enjoying the new van!  up!

Last edited by Gromit on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo again!)
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:29 pm

Happy new van up!....it's always a relief to get it safely home and plugged in !

I picked mine up from Marquis, Durham in April and although I can use the Truma panel, I've learned quite a bit more from the video in Dave's link (thanks Dave).
I feel much better prepared for the cold spell that's due in at the weekend.

Ken.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:38 pm

I will go watch, but from the manual maybe we don’t have all the functions? The heater just has eco or hot and the fan just has 2 settings too and not the range of temps etc as described in the manual
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Ok it all makes perfect sense now!
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:51 pm

If its on the drive on EHU, this is a great place to do a couple of tests (heating, water, control panel etc) prior to getting to site (even a local one) and running into a basic problem.
one of the hreat benefits of having the van at home...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Totally agree!  Ouris is in drive all hooked up. It’s cold up here so testing out our winter pack too
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Oh and we’ve used the wine glasses already too:hugegrins:hugegrins
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:59 pm

I’m a tad confused about the loo. The handover guy said it takes flush water from the main tank. The manual says it has its own integral supply. So I can’t see where it should be filled from th3 access hatch on the offside. If it comes from the fresh tank, where does the pink stuff go? Can’t see a place to add this.
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Lorfal wrote:I’m a tad confused about the loo. The handover guy said it takes flush water from the main tank. The manual says it has its own integral supply. So I can’t see where it should be filled from th3 access hatch on the offside. If it comes from the fresh tank, where does the pink stuff go? Can’t see a place to add this.
Unless they have changed the loo over the last few months, your handover guy is correct about the water coming from the main tank.

If that is the case, there is nowhere to add the pink additive. I use a separate squirt bottle for that.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:31 pm

One final thing.....I hope, and I have scoured the manual ......what are the big white poles in the long felt sack stored under the rear lounge seat?
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:28 am

Lorfal wrote:yayyy! At last it’s ours!!! Lol so maiden voyage from Durham to Rannoch .....

I asked all the questions on my list compiled after everyone’s feedback. So thank you.up! I think the handover could have gone a little better as I’m not 100% sure the tech guy was really knowledgable. Had a couple of ‘don’t knows ‘or ‘ask the salesman’ .
If from a dealer then that's not a good experience to start off with. They should know what they are selling!!

My van was bought private and the previous owner had only used it once in one year so knew absolutely nothing about it! I had to figure everything myself. When i come to sell, whoever the lucky buyer is will be ok as i know all the necessary procedures for 'draining down', litres of water for fresh and toilet, fuses for internals, circuit breaker ops, internal leisure batt charger (switch to that is well hidden!), not to mention lots of well documented history. Oh...almost forgot, it's also very useful to know the max height of your van! Print out a memo of it and stick it on your visor. My gps has it logged in now but the one i had when i first had the van didn't have a height facility warning and i very nearly went down a road somewhere around Paris which was below my restriction!

Enjoy your van and have fun finding 'things'!!  hugegrins
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:07 am

Lorfal wrote:One final thing.....I hope, and I have scoured the manual ......what are the big white poles in the long felt sack stored under the rear lounge seat?
Joined together, it is the central span for your roll out awning. If it is the Omnistore, there should be the two fixing points to engage. Wind the awning out sufficiently to offer up the pole then wind it back for a secure fit. Regards.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:54 am

It’s a Thule awning, I had thought the only thing it could be was for the awning. Have gone back again to manual to awning page, so I see where it should go.

Thankyou.

So I think that all my don’t knows solved.......for now biggrin

Thanks for the tip bulletguy, the tech guy did cover most like draining down, powering up but explanation of Truma panel could have been clearer. I was surprised he didn’t know about the smart charging facility though. Things like how to fully open rear doors with the buttons, and what all the packages are under from rear facing seat. Some contain screw and bits of stuff I have no idea about. I get the tv mount, but there’s a black and orange s bend type of plastic piping I don’t know about.

Thanks to everyone for their patience with me lol
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:01 am

Darn rural internet grrrrrr can edit but not delete one post. Apologies

No worries - the Mods can do it for you!  up!
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:03 am

I just looked back at the utterly useless and very confusing explanation I gave for plugging in the hook up cable. I can't understand it myself, so I doubt if you did!!  blushes   shrugg

Would you like me to have another go - it's dead easy when you know how, but tricky to explain. (Even easier if you ask someone to show you next time you arrive at a campsite.)
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:09 am

K
No I understood. The dust cap gets opened, flat and slides in . However.....we just took the cap off before realising. It fits now anyway. I did feel a tad silly for not getting it scratch head
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:33 am

The S bend plastic thing is to help top up oil without it going all over the engine.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:49 am

Eh? You mean I have to do that myself??? No..........
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:45 pm

Thinking back to September when we got our new van and the things that needed a dealer fix.
1) Make sure you have the correct number of tables (it is 2 for a Warwick Duo, a second smaller table is in the wardrobe and ours was missing). I assume you should also have 2 tables.
2) fill up the fresh water tank completely and turn the pump on and make sure the pump stops within 2 minutes and stays stopped,  Ours comes on for 3 or 4 secs every 20 to 30 seconds.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:03 pm

Thankyou, pump ok, checked it like you said. All tables present but we are missing the end of the rear front facing seat leg, the wee black screw thing on the bottom so I have asked for this to be sent. Temp dropped suddenly in last hour, think we might freeze tonight. I’ve turned on the heated tank blankets but ensured I have some liquid in the waste tank.we are keen to be away in next day or 2, and the dealer filled the fresh water. Not keen to drain down as we might be away tomorrow. Our water in our rural area is t great and I don’t want it in our tank.
From the manual it will be ok as long as there is liquid in all tanks that have a blanket.
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:11 pm

and keep the internal temperature above 3 degrees C, or the boiler drain valve opens. up!
Don't ask me how I know blushes
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:23 pm

JUst dashed outside lol heating on and temp set to keep it above 3. Omg I’m turning into a nutter! Lolol running in and out , but the met office was saying 5-7 overnight. I have a Davis weather station in garden and it’s at 1 right now brrrrrr and it feels it.

Thankyou, and I won’t ask agree3
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:33 pm

Lorfal wrote:K
No I understood. The dust cap gets opened, flat and slides in . However.....we just took the cap off before realising. It fits now anyway. I did feel a tad silly for not getting it scratch head

If you cannot reconnect the "dust cap" you for your own but mostly others safety need to replace.
The cap also acts as a lock so that it stays in place when plugged in.
Simple example 3 year old runs past your van and falls over cable, this pulls the plug out of the van nothing to stop it you now have a open live socket on wet grass,or worst in a puddle if anything like my 3 year old grand son they would pick it up and you can guess the rest. confused3

David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:54 pm

We have another cable, with the dust cap allthumbz
Lorfal