The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gasit Remote Fill on Duetto 2003 Transit MWB

+2
Gromit
JeffM
6 posters

Go down

Gasit Remote Fill on Duetto 2003 Transit MWB Empty Gasit Remote Fill on Duetto 2003 Transit MWB

Post by JeffM Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have owned our Duetto for 12 months now and are delighted with it. Having taken it to France for the last 2 summers, this summer staying mainly on Aires, we're coming to the conclusion that a Gasit LPG system would be a great enhancement as we could then run the fridge without really worrying about gas consumption. I'm reasonably comfortable with the mechanics of fitting the kit, my main concern is where to locate the fill connector. I approached a reseller of gasit systems and was a little disappointed by the 'you can put it on the left of the gas locker, or the right' response I received when both would enter the living space. It seems to me that the most practical solution would be to fit the fill point below the locker, but that section of bodywork is effectively sealed and there's no way of knowing what I'd be drilling into (that I can see). I'm reluctant to fit an internal fillpoint within the locker, because I've heard that some garages don't like you filling in that manner, and I don't really want to mount to the locker door because of the increased height and possible interference with the sliding door, and the fact that the door is a little flimsy.

I just wondered whether anybody had any relevant experience and could offer some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
JeffM
JeffM

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Gasit Remote Fill on Duetto 2003 Transit MWB Empty Re: Gasit Remote Fill on Duetto 2003 Transit MWB

Post by Gromit Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:01 pm

On our previous van I mounted the fill point in the skirt, and took the tube up through the corner of the locker floor. Use a suitable gromet if you do, for fear of chafing the tube on the sharp edges of the metal floor.

This way none of the installation enters the living space.

There's no reason why you can't mount the filler inside the gas locker. There's a specially made bracket available. I would advise against it though as it's unlikely, but quite possible that a conscientious garage attendant might refuse to switch on the pump for you, thinking you are illegally filling a Calor type bottle with one of those adapters you can get on eBay.

(I know it CAN be done safely, but not without sound knowledge AND an accurate set of scales under the bottle, which won't be there in a motorhome. If anyone is intent on doing so, please be sure I'm not within 20 miles when you do it!!!)
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Gasit Remote Fill on Duetto 2003 Transit MWB Empty Gasit remote filler

Post by tallslimdave Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi
Presuming a 2003 has the external gas locker door same as our 2006 Duetto our remote filler is mounted inside locker top right hand side on commonly available bracket but modified to suit,has been no problem filling on forecourts uk and the continent !

Hope this helps Dave h
tallslimdave
tallslimdave

Male

Back to top Go down

Gasit Remote Fill on Duetto 2003 Transit MWB Empty Re: Gasit Remote Fill on Duetto 2003 Transit MWB

Post by Gromit Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:04 pm

tallslimdave wrote: . . . has been no problem filling on forecourts uk and the continent !

Hope this helps Dave h
It has happened Dave, and if the OP is starting from scratch my feeling is to take the safe route and mount the filler externally.

It is unlikely he would be challenged as I said before, but my philosophy (or is it bone idleness??  Whistle1) is to anticipate hassle and avoid it wherever possible.

One of the gas suppliers sent out a directive a couple of years ago warning attendants to look out for illegal filling. In essence it said they should only fill where the bottles were permanently fixed and had a remote filler. That may have all been ignored by now, as some of these theoretically potential catastrophes often are when the dust has settled.

I believe Gas-It issue a form which states that their bottles do have the 80% cut-off valve, and are therefore safe to refill on a forecourt. That should get him around any problem he might encounter if he fits the filler inside the locker.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffM Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks all,

Having pondered, and having had little in the way of useful advice from the 2 Gasit suppliers I've now approached, I've decided to compromise and mount the fillpoint on the locker door.

That way:

- It satisfies the 'external mount' requirement.
- I can remove the door and drill it on a bench drill with little risk.
- I'm not compromising the bodywork in any way.

If it looks like it might be too proud, so as to interfere with the sliding door, I can make a spacer bracket and set the whole thing back a bit, using some appropriate sealant around the plastic fascia. 

I guess the only thing to consider now is the clause in the vehicle insurance that excludes fire/explosion caused by cooking/heating equipment fitted by non-Corgi, or whatever the modern equivalent is. I admit I hadn't thought about that, but I guess it's the same for everybody.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff
JeffM
JeffM

Male

Member Age : 61
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:10 pm

Suggest that you do not locate it in the gas compartment. On a couple of occasions in France, the garage owner has come out to ensure that the filler is external. We have a Gas it system , an absolute bonus in France, or anywhere!!!
Tengah74

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by crosgor Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:15 am

Sorry if I misread your post, you are not actually considering fitting the filler inside the van?
crosgor
crosgor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : ex-Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Gassit sell different length filling pipes, could you mount it in the rear bumper.
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down