The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear light cluster off a Transit 2003

+4
Achilles heel
Paulmold
PLOUGHLIN
Mike Haig
8 posters

Go down

Rear light cluster off a Transit 2003 Empty Rear light cluster off a Transit 2003

Post by Mike Haig Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Can anyone tell me how I get my damaged offside rear light cluster off to fit a new one.
The near side has an access panel in the bathroom wall but the other side has no access due to the fridge side panel Coming almost to the rear door. Thanks in advance for any help, Mike
Mike Haig
Mike Haig

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Rear light cluster off a Transit 2003 Empty Re: Rear light cluster off a Transit 2003

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:00 pm

Access through the fridge vents is often quoted for many AS vans.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Rear light cluster off a Transit 2003 Empty Re: Rear light cluster off a Transit 2003

Post by Paulmold Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:03 pm

Mike Haig
Please take a moment to say hello here..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Haig Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Will check this as soon as I get back home. If you are correct it will be an easy job. I'll let you know the outcome.
Many thanks for your suggestion.
Mike Haig
Mike Haig

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Achilles heel Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:20 am

On my 1996 Transit, access to the O/S rear light cluster is through the fridge vent. Changed a bulb the other day, which is how I know.

An additional elbow joint in your arm would be useful, you need to be a bit of a contortionist!smile!
Achilles heel
Achilles heel

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Haig Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi, Achilles. Thanks for the info, much appreciated, Mike
Mike Haig
Mike Haig

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:35 am

I have had both a MK5 and a MK7 Transit based Duetto and access to the offside rear light cluster was via the fridge vent on the outside of the van, or a slim panel next to the fridge on the inside.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:20 pm

Achilles heel wrote:On my 1996 Transit, access to the O/S rear light cluster is through the fridge vent. Changed a bulb the other day, which is how I know.

An additional elbow joint in your arm would be useful, you need to be a bit of a contortionist!smile!
I'll second that too!! The light cluster is held in place by two nyloc wing nuts so are only screwed up 'finger tight' but access is made difficult by the fridge piping. One nut you can see.....the other you can't so is a matter of feeling around for it. Whatever you do keep a tight hold of the wingnuts when coming off because if you drop one inside....it's a pain in the proverbial to get hold of!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Bulletguy wrote:Whatever you do keep a tight hold of the wingnuts when coming off because if you drop one inside....it's a pain in the proverbial to get hold of!
Been there, and needed a full command of the English language to express my feelings!  snigger  (It was usually when putting nuts back on that I managed to drop them.)

With a wing nut it might be possible to tie a slip not in the end of a length of thin string and slip it tight over one of the wings. If not possible during removal, it might be worth it when putting it back on - to save doing my trick!!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:43 pm

tap_fingers  Beware of sharp edges around the fridge vents. When I removed the o/s rear light on my Mk5 Duetto I shed blood. The fitter at Autosleeper must have used a can opener to cut the holes for the fridge vents.   tap_fingers
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Haig Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks for the warning.
Will take extra care. Advice much appreciated.
Mike Haig
Mike Haig

Male

Back to top Go down