The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows on van conversions

3 posters

Go down

Windows on van conversions  Empty Windows on van conversions

Post by chalkywhite Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:25 am

Hi, thinking of buying a Warwick XL. After reading a comment  about these single glazed widows transmitting cold air into the van and the heating unable to compensate adequately, I was wondering what other owners' experiences are.  I am aware that these windows have certain thermal properties as claimed by Auto-Sleeper.  Do people get excessive condensation on the windows?  Also have you got any comments about not being able to open the windows and having enough ventilation in warmer weather?. Other vans we are looking at have plastic windows.
chalkywhite
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Windows on van conversions  Empty Re: Windows on van conversions

Post by Ramblers Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:03 am

Hi Chalky and welcome to the forum from Leicestershire  wave. I don't understand the science behind this "athermically treated privacy glass" but I have to say it works. On our way to and from Spain in March and October we have camped in freezing conditions but have not suffered any condensation except on the windscreen. The Symbol has the front lounge so the opening windows provide adequate ventilation during warm weather; can understand your concern with a rear lounge. Let me know if I can help anymore ... Jeff

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by maricardo Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:42 am

We have a Sussex Duo. Very little condensation inside the windows in the coldest of weather.  Lack of ventilation is a problem as windows don't open although we have 3 skylight windows we can open.  Also our van is fitted with air con which is a great in hot weather (although noisy). A problem you may encounter when entering the van from a bright outside - if you wear reactolight spectacles - is that dark windows + darkened glasses make it very gloomy for a while.  Another small point is that one cannot communicate to a person outside except through the doorway.  We normally set up a free standing sat dish and this initially caused a problem until we hit upon the idea of using a torch by the person inside to indicate sat signal strength (high in the window for OK).  A major plus is the privacy aspect of the dark windows.  The insulation and tint is provided by some form of plastic film added to the inside surface.  This can be damaged by sharp abrasion if not careful  I would not like to return to caravan type of opening windows.
maricardo
maricardo

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : sussex duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:15 pm

We have the Warwick Duo and like the others have had no real condensation problems. Using the roof lights helps as do the sliding windows by the kitchen and in the sliding door.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi, we have had our Warwick XL for three years now , not had a problem with condensation and the heating is more than up to it.
Ventilation is not a problem with the roof vents and the side door window. Its nice to open the back doors, weather permiting. The dark glass is handy for getting changed without having to draw blinds and you can gawp at stuff and people if you so wish. Steve.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by chalkywhite Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful
chalkywhite
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2017