The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not a good start

+6
burlingtonboaby
dbroada
Gromit
Bulletguy
Toffee
Campbell
10 posters

Go down

Not a good start   Empty Not a good start

Post by Campbell Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:42 pm

While driving home with my new Kemerton XL after having spent three nights in it trying out all systems all worked a treat. I was about forty minutes from home a large bird appeared in front of me and hit the grill.
After checking it thought it was only a broken grill finished my journey home. On checking it the next day in the light still looked like it was just the grill. So tidied it up a bit it looked OK.
Then Friday pasted went to go a we run in the van went a few miles to see steam coming out from under the bonnet the Radiator was weeping so went home.
Went today to local coachworks as also found a few scratches on the bonnet after I washed it, now found out the bird also broke the AC heat exchanger in front of the radiator as well.
So what looked a simple grill break turns out into something major so will get the proper insurance estimate tomorrow.
Feeling a bit sad now as the van only done 480mile but look on the bright side no one hurt so not a good start.
Campbell
Campbell

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Not a good start   Empty Re: Not a good start

Post by Toffee Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:18 pm

Ironically I was reversing off our drive and looked at the front of the Peugeot based Fairford as I went past it, and thought that radiator and associated pipework looks very vulnerable, looked as though stones could find there way in to cause damage.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:56 pm

Campbell wrote:While driving home with my new Kemerton XL after having spent three nights in it trying out all systems all worked a treat. I was about forty minutes from home a large bird appeared in front of me and hit the grill.
After checking it thought it was only a broken grill finished my journey home. On checking it the next day in the light still looked like it was just the grill. So tidied it up a bit it looked OK.
Then Friday pasted went to go a we run in the van went a few miles to see steam coming out from under the bonnet the Radiator was weeping so went home.
Went today to local coachworks as also found a few scratches on the bonnet after I washed it, now found out the bird also broke the AC heat exchanger in front of the radiator as well.
So what looked a simple grill break turns out into something major so will get the proper insurance estimate tomorrow.
Feeling a bit sad now as the van only done 480mile but look on the bright side no one hurt so not a good start.

Try telling the bird you killed that!! I think he was more than a bit hurt!!  hugegrins
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:34 pm

First brand new car we ever had a few years ago, and half way home from the garage a wheel trim came off an approaching motorhome and smashed right through the plastic front valance.

Less than 10 miles on the clock and already quite seriously damaged. I was not happy, but it all passes with the fullness of time. The memory doesn't help when you get the next new car though. Paranoia is an understatement!!! so_sad
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:59 pm

My drive to work used to be through some country lanes. One day a bird flew out of the hedge in front of me. I couldn't believe I missed it but I couldn't see anything in my mirror so I guessed it escaped or was still in my radiator. When I got to work I started looking for the bird but there was nothing obvious. A few moments later a coworker a river and his first words were "did you see all those feathers by the airport?". I guess I didn't miss it but at least I didn't have any damage.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:07 am

Campbell wrote:While driving home with my new Kemerton XL after having spent three nights in it trying out all systems all worked a treat. I was about forty minutes from home a large bird appeared in front of me and hit the grill.

Sorry to read about your bird strike Campbell, hope the repairs get sorted soon so you can enjoy your van, I had a bird strike flying over the Havel in Berlin, fortunately it hit the base of the Perspex and only cracked the bubble (Sioux) , returned to base and was grounded .
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:21 am

Could have been worse, just seen SULLY, excellent film, he landed on the Hudson River.

Watch the insurance, they load you and all your other vehicles plus if named on wife's for 5 years.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:15 pm

dbroada wrote:My drive to work used to be through some country lanes. One day a bird flew out of the hedge in front of me. I couldn't believe I missed it but I couldn't see anything in my mirror so I guessed it escaped or was still in my radiator. When I got to work I started looking for the bird but there was nothing obvious. A few moments later a coworker a river and his first words were "did you see all those feathers by the airport?". I guess I didn't miss it but at least I didn't have any damage.

That reminded me of my work commute. All country B road.....no traffic lights, no jams, often no nothing when on nights. I was spoiled!

I'd see foxes regularly. They know where you are and they know danger. They aren't daft....they'd shoot across the road a good 50 yards or so ahead. Hawks, Owls, Rabbits, occasional Pheasant but oddly in 25 years of driving that road i'd never seen one Badger. I remember that day well as i was only telling a fellow workmate the same. I was on noon shift so finished at 10pm but it was winter and that road is pitch black at night. But i knew where all the corners and 'dodgy' spots were. Approaching a bend i changed down a gear, then accelerated out and.....bang! A hell of a thump under the front nearside wheel. 

I knew immediately what it was but it was too late for poor old Brock, and fortunate for me i had a Transit van at that time. If i'd been in a car it would have ripped the front end out and possibly done the radiator in too. I couldn't get over the irony of only saying that same day i'd never seen a Badger on that road in 25 years, then go and hit one a few hours later!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:22 pm

Bulletguy wrote: I couldn't get over the irony of only saying that same day i'd never seen a Badger on that road in 25 years, then go and hit one a few hours later!
I hope you don't think about never having seen a stag.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:04 pm

Driving to Bury St Edmunds recently saw three dear one dead at roadside and two eating the grass verge. Still got my light deflectors on van from europe driving. Damm glad they stayed on verge there a big thing to hit in the dark.
Mind you some years ago my uncle had his ford capri runover by a horse. Both the car and the horse were right offs.. I think id rather hit a bird if anything alive. confused3
Although front ends on new motorhomes are so flimsy i wonder about having a stainless netting cover made with a proper bumper as well. Plastics are hopeless one scratch and one slight touch and they snap. confused3
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:45 am

dbroada wrote:
Bulletguy wrote: I couldn't get over the irony of only saying that same day i'd never seen a Badger on that road in 25 years, then go and hit one a few hours later!
I hope you don't think about never having seen a stag.

I did one year driving through a forested country area of Hungary. A young one on the side of the road....very dead but looked fairly recent. A few miles further up and i found myself behind a local registered large commercial van going rather slow. Once i managed to get round him i saw the reason why. The whole of the windscreen was gone, the van passenger side and bonnet badly damaged and covered in blood. Obviously the van that had hit the deer. Given the major damage was on his passenger side i thought God....had that been me it would have been my side and possibly me too!!

Near where i live there's a long country road, often driven fast by locals who know it but it's risky. There is a small wood at the end. A few years ago a young lad had been batting it and as he approached the wood a young deer shot out. The youth reacted by slamming the brakes and he hit a tree head on.....killed instantly. The deer lived to see another day!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:34 am

Sorry about your van Campbell. My husband hit a badger one day. No damage he said till I took it to the garage and found it had bust the radiator. Another time coming back in the dark from work a deer jumped into the side of my car. I watched it limp away. Stopped by some house a few miles along to see if there was any damage to the car but seemed ok. When I got back phoned RSPCA to tell them a poorly deer was about. A few days later I went to open the passenger door and couldn't. The deer had pushed the door in but you wouldn't have noticed. I am always careful now when I see deer signs and in the dark.
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by landyman Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:14 am

I have a large bird that comes everywhere with me. hugegrins