The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

uncomfortable Harmony drivers seat

4 posters

Go down

uncomfortable Harmony drivers seat Empty uncomfortable Harmony drivers seat

Post by JimT Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:16 am

Hi All, this may have been asked before but I cannot find it.
I have had my 1998 Harmony since 2002 and have always found the drivers seat a little uncomfortable, mainly in the lower back area, but have put up with it. Now I am getting old and rickety, a bit like the van, I was wondering if any of the members had found the answer to making the seat more comfortable ?
JimT
JimT

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

uncomfortable Harmony drivers seat Empty Re: uncomfortable Harmony drivers seat

Post by Paulmold Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:36 am

You can buy simple lumber supports that are held in place by large elastic band around the seat back. They are basically a half-round barrel shape of foam. Plenty on eBay . The Harmony , as the seat back is lowered to make a bed, I presume has no built-in lumber support as the Symphony has. Also plenty of back-rests on eBay or you can get a more orthopaedic one from shops that sell medical/disabled goods. I had to resort to such when the built-in lumber adjustment failed on my seat when I taxied.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by JimT Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:52 am

Thanks Paulmould. I have had a look and there is a wide variety available, isn't there. I will give it a go and see if that helps.
Thanks again for your advise.
JimT
JimT

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:09 pm

Jim,
My Harmony is going to Sew and Trim in Botley Hampshire for a new drivers seat base cushion.
Steve described the new foams now available which weren't around when the Harmony's were built. Apparently it would seem that the original foam may have been replaced by AS because the seat is part of the single bed arrangement. He will re-use the original covers for me.
If you google 'seat trimmers' here maybe someone near you or know someone who can help.
Failing that you might have some van converters nearby which is how I found Steve.
Hope that helps.
Terry

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:49 pm

The foam seat bases on my 1995 Harmony failed pretty soon in life: seemed like the foam was too weak and was extruded through the wires providing the seat suspension. I added a variety of sheet materials between the foam and wires with varying degrees of success - plywood made it too stiff and I can't remember what I eventually settled on - but since I last messed with it 18+ years back, the base has been fine. That said, I generally also use a thin cushion just to raise me a little.

As for lumbar support etc, I personally don't find this an issue in the van as, most of the time, my torso is a fair bit forward as the seat base has to be far back 'cause of my lanky legs. However with my office chair I habitually use a 'Mackenzie roll' (search on eBay) which I find helps me enormously, not with my back but with my neck, but I hope it would also help the former.

Hope this helps,

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Mine has just been re-cushioned by Sew n Trim, cost £40.

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down