The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rust signs from the roof join

4 posters

Go down

Rust signs from the roof join  Empty Rust signs from the roof join

Post by Daniel Burns Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:05 am

Hi, I have recently brought a AS Talent from a Grandparent and have noticed that it has developed in at least 3 places signs of rust coming from the plastic cover strip that hides the join between the van roof an d the GRP high top roof. Is this something major or will it be a case of running a Sika flex type sealant around the existing rain water channel? Im pretty handy with most things but have zero experience in repairing campers. I guess my main worries the rust taking hold and causing major damage. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.smile!
Daniel Burns
Daniel Burns

Male

Member Age : 43
Auto-Sleeper Model : Talent
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Rust signs from the roof join  Empty Re: Rust signs from the roof join

Post by -mojo- Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:47 pm

The Talent is quite a rare van - you don't see many of them around.

I doubt anyone will be able to answer the question immediately, because it probably needs more investigation. If the rust has started on the outside (not that unusual, as the cover strip tends to act as a trap for leaves and other crud) then it may just need taking down to bare metal and coating with Kurust or a modern equivalent, then painting or covered in sealant.

If it's coming from under the roof then it's a more serious problem. It's hard to find a long-term solution without removing the roof - and you don't want to do that... Is there any sign of water leakage inside, around the windows in the roof?
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:59 pm

Not able to help with your problem but if you have to remove the black joint, might be worth getting these as spares, they've been for sale for s long time now so might be worth making an offer....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Burns Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:56 am

Thanks Mojo & Paulmold.

Yes I have had a few people say that too me.

The inside is dry. Its almost definatly coming from what you described. How easy does the cover strip come off? is there a guide available?
Daniel Burns
Daniel Burns

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:56 pm

This is a common problem and it's often on one side only too! I have it on my van on the rear o/side corner because when the van is parked up at home, my drive is on a slight slant so rainwater drains away from the house. It's a small cosmetic job i'm hoping to get done by a local bodyshop. 

The rail trims are removable and ideally that's how the job should be done, but like every other bit of plastic trim they suffer from weathering and getting it off in one piece without it snapping is a gamble. AS still have new rail trims for my van.....but they are £400.....each!!!  censored!

So that was a good spot by Mojo and if i were you i'd make an offer of £50 to that seller which would be a bargain. If those were for a Duetto i'd have snapped 'em up by now!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:23 pm

I'm aware of at least two ways of fixing these trims on. My Flair had them fixed with nylon bolts which screw into stainless steel stand-offs bonded to the GRP roof, but IIRC on at least some other high top conversions they were bonded directly in place. The material they are made of differs too - some are GRP, sometimes formed around a plywood core, while those on the Flair were vacuum-formed plastic.

If yours are the latter then it will be relatively easy, but I think there is little chance of getting the bonded-on ones off without breaking them. So if they are the right type, it probably is a good idea to consider buying up the ones that Paul points to.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Burns Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:30 am

Thanks all, Sorry for the late reply I've been working away all weekend. 

Sounds as though its a job I can handle with a handy family member. I think the strips that paul kindly passed my way are in slightly worse condition than the ones I have so for now Ill leave them.

When I eventually get around to it, Ill let you know how I get on.
Daniel Burns
Daniel Burns

Male

Back to top Go down