The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol No water from taps

3 posters

Go down

Symbol No water from taps Empty Symbol No water from taps

Post by T25Pete Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:07 am

Hi there , I'm looking for help with my 2011 hi top Symbol. The water stopped pumping suddenly and the Serget controller is acting strange. 
I have plenty of water and the controller shows full with the pump (tap symbol) switched off. 
If I switch the pump on and then check the water level the LEDs cycle down from full to empty. 
I have checked the fuse (number 4). This also feeds the toilet pump which is fine. 
I have found the pressure switch but have no idea where the pump is hiding. 
Any suggestions before I get it booked in with a dealer.
Thanks
Pete
T25Pete
T25Pete

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Symbol No water from taps Empty Re: Symbol No water from taps

Post by Gromit Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:39 am

Hi Pete

Sounds like your Sargent panel is on the blink. You could try re-setting it as a first step.

I can't remember how to do it, but someone gave advice just recently. It would be useful if you look on the control panel and tell us the model number. (Messrs Sargent are very helpful if you want to phone them.)

It might be the pressure switch, but I doubt it. You could mark the position of the knob first!!  They are very sensitive and an eighth of a turn may make all the difference then twiddle it a bit, or remove the electrical contacts and join them together. That will take the switch out of the circuit and if the pump then runs you will have found the culprit.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblers Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:45 am

Sorry that I cannot help with the diagnostics but the pump on mine is fixed to the side of the oven cabinet accessed under the offside settee alongside the water heater, leisure battery etc., hope this helps ... Jeff
Ramblers
Ramblers

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by T25Pete Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:47 am

Hi Grommet and Ramblers. Thanks for the advice. Have tried the reset and jumped out the pressure switch using a spare fuse but with no luck. Waiting for a call back from Sargent. Will post the outcome. 
Shame all of my tools are locked up at home, including my multi meter. Thought I would be safe with a newish van but it looks like I'll be building a little travelling tool kit!
Off to buy a Gerry can so that we can get by.
Cheers 
Pete
T25Pete
T25Pete

Male

Back to top Go down

Symbol No water from taps Empty Water pump fixed

Post by T25Pete Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:48 pm

At last the pump is fixed. For info my Symbol has a Whale submersible in the tank with a pressure switch at the cooker end of the under seat locker.
Everything pointed at the pump but it turned out to be a bit of a pain fixing it. The main problem was that I couldn't get the water tank inspection cover off (neither could a mechanic). In the end I use a hair drier to warm it up and then found out why. The rubber seal was mashed and the cover had been sealed with mastic.  Even more frustrating is that the folder of info with the van shows that the pump was changed when the van was new so it looks like it was bodged by the dealer.
Once the screw on cover was removed changing the pump was easy. Don't bother trying to undo the jubilee. (Mine was rusted solid having been in there for 5 years). Just reach in and release the water pipe from the push fit connector. Then trace the white cable from the tank until you get to the bullet connectors. These will be well taped as they need to be weather proof. Once disconnected the pump can be pulled out with the cable. The local shop advised that the Whale should be fitted with a flexible pipe and supplied a size to fit the pump and also fit over the rigid pipe for reconnection into the push fit connector. Reassembly is simply a reverse making sure to connect up correctly and weather proof the bullets. You will need new male bullet connections as the Whale only come with bare wires. I now just need to fine tune the pressure switch but have all 4 taps giving hot and cold.allthumbz
I may think about an internal Sureflo if I have a repeat failure.
Thank for the advice along the way and other posts on submersibles.
Cheers Pete
T25Pete
T25Pete

Male

Back to top Go down