The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto (1995) on Ford Transit chassis

+3
busby65
Sue68
alpha16
7 posters

Go down

Duetto (1995) on Ford Transit chassis Empty Duetto (1995) on Ford Transit chassis

Post by alpha16 Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi to all - new owner of old Duetto and I have a couple of questions to you all.
Having caravaned for over 30 years we now have moved to a small motorhome.
After a weekend shakedown site visit during which I had to fit a new leisure battery after the Zig charger fried the old one ( I suspect a dead cell anyway) we came away ( as expected with a few questions).
So, on a old 1995 Ford transit chassis where is the jack ? - is one supplied on a commercial vehicle ? a water
Secondly, the manual mentions a water filter next to the pump - I cannot see one - is there always one fitted - I will attach a photo of the pump.

I am sure we will have more questions but for now thanks in advance.
alpha16
alpha16

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Duetto (1995) on Ford Transit chassis Empty Re: Duetto (1995) on Ford Transit chassis

Post by Sue68 Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:40 pm

I have a 96 model and the jack is in a bag in the wardrobe. I haven't found a water filter.
Sue
Sue68

Female

Member Age : 101
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Duetto (1995) on Ford Transit chassis Empty Re: Duetto (1995) on Ford Transit chassis

Post by busby65 Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:42 pm

Don't know about water filter but you should have a jack and wheelbrace,,Usually in a black bag in front os locker..Any Ford advice try Ford Transit Forum. Excellent very reliable base vehicle,,,Enjoy it. BUSBY65.
busby65
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi  wave

My van does not have a water filter fitted either.

A jack would have been supplied originally, mine is in the drawer under the bench seat. I you haven't got one they turn up second hand fairly regularly.

Even if you decide to use a different jack you'll still need the winder because it doubles as a tool to wind the spare wheel down (from under the vehicle).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

alpha16 wrote: I had to fit a new leisure battery after the Zig charger fried the old one ( I suspect a dead cell anyway)

You can't blame the Zig for that, the alternator would also "boil" the battery if it had a dead cell. It's still worth checking that the new battery does not go above 13.8V on hook up.

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:59 pm

If your van has a Shurflo Trailking pump - which was what AS used on most of their vans at the time - then there should be a wire mesh filter attached to the pump on the inlet spigot. They seldom need attention as even when partly full they still seem to flow freely - but of course worthwhile cleaning out any crud anyway.

The originally supplied jack is huge and heavy. I eventually found mine in the garage of the previous owner!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by alpha16 Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks for all comments - the jack is not to be found but the wheel lowering winder is - I think I will let Mayday replace the wheel if I get a punture - my days of kneeling by the roadside are long gone :)
Look forward to the open road ( although I have to say the 80PS diesel in the transit lacks get up and go but I know they go on and on and on !)
alpha16
alpha16

Male

Member Age : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by busby65 Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:20 pm

You can tweek it a bit and jt will go ok. Went all over Spain and Portugal in my non turbo coach build with no problems...BUSBY65.
busby65
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:54 pm

alpha16 wrote:I had to fit a new leisure battery after the Zig charger fried the old one

Our Zig unit failed and fried the battery. This was not a battery fault, it was the Zig unit. Best check that the Zig is working OK and is not over charging the battery, it should stabilise at about 13.6 volts when fully charged, if more than this you will need to have the Zig fettled, or replaced.

If you have a Bosch fuel injector pump, you can get a bit more power by following the instructions here:

Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyxs Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:33 pm

alpha16 wrote:Thanks for all comments - the jack is not to be found but the wheel lowering winder is - I think I will let Mayday replace the wheel if I get a punture - my days of kneeling by the roadside are long gone :)
Look forward to the open road ( although I have to say the 80PS diesel in the transit lacks get up and go but I know they go on and on and on !)
As Busby65 says you can adjust the fuel pump in about 30 seconds and the power increase is huge. Our 95 was incredibly slow when we bought it 5 years ago and we regularly had to change down to second gear on the Devon and Cornish hills and our first trip to Wales was a nightmare. Endless miles grinding up the hills in second gear with long ques of vehicles behind us .

Now she flies up hills at 40mph+ in forth gear rarely needing to drop to third . I was concerned that the mpg would drop considerably but the next Welsh trip confirmed that we were averaging 35mpg around Snowdon which I think is pretty good .

Pop over to the Transit forum and search for the tutorial on 'Fuel pump mod' . You can also can blank the erg and lock the butterfly spindle open too although the inlet noise increases somewhat.
Hope its ok to post a link ? must read the forum rules Whistle1

Last edited by johnnyxs on Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)
johnnyxs
johnnyxs

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto

Back to top Go down