The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VW Autosleeper Topaz bodywork issue

3 posters

Go down

VW Autosleeper Topaz bodywork issue Empty VW Autosleeper Topaz bodywork issue

Post by Janet Menage Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:08 pm

Hello all, I recently bought a 2008 VW A/S Topaz privately, as a retirement present, after it passed a full RAC inspection.
Unfortunately, there is now a stream of rusty liquid coming from the back right hand corner where the hight top is joined to the base vehicle. There is a crack in the 'weld' and also rusty liquid coming from the lower edge of the gutter, at the back.
It has only done 14,000 miles and I would not expect this problem if the original conversion was done properly.
Has anyone else had this issue? Were Autosleeper helpful in sorting it out?
Many thanks for comments. Kind regards, Janet
Janet Menage
Janet Menage

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

VW Autosleeper Topaz bodywork issue Empty Re: VW Autosleeper Topaz bodywork issue

Post by -mojo- Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Offhand, I can't imagine where rusty water would be coming ~from~ that high up on the vehicle! It may help if you take a couple of photos and post them up. Are there any signs that the area may have been damaged and repaired, for example?

A/S may be willing to help but, given that it's an 8 year old vehicle, the "help" will be at your cost! If you can live with the fact that it may be quite expensive, the advantage of going via A/S is that at least they will know all they need to about how it was constructed, so the end result ~should~ be good.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

VW Autosleeper Topaz bodywork issue Empty Re: VW Autosleeper Topaz bodywork issue

Post by rgermain Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Ooops, not had that one. I had a 2007 Topaz from new until I had enough early this year.

No sign of any water ingress. Had plenty of other problems with the build, try Mark or Alan Curry at A/S he may have some knowledge of this problem. I was told the usual dealers comment when enquired about my problems  " Fair wear and tear"!

Best of luck
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet Menage Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:36 pm

Thank you both.
Photo attached.
Janet Menage
Janet Menage

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet Menage Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Hello again, how do I post photos? Tried the 'host an image' icon which uploaded them but after sending they disappeared?
Janet Menage
Janet Menage

Female

Back to top Go down