The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking of buying an autosleeper topaz....

+6
melcragg
repoort
-mojo-
Celticbiker
burlingtonboaby
lindadoe
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thinking of buying an autosleeper topaz.... Empty Thinking of buying an autosleeper topaz....

Post by lindadoe Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:49 am

Happy New year :)
I am thinking of viewing this ...any thoughts on what to look out for please?
Berth
Year
Chassis
VW
Origin
UK
Service History
Yes
DriveSide
RHD
Mileage
55,000 miles
GearBox
Automatic
Fuel
Diesel
lindadoe
lindadoe

Female

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : none
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Thinking of buying an autosleeper topaz.... Empty Re: Thinking of buying an autosleeper topaz....

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Thinking of buying an autosleeper topaz.... Empty Re: Thinking of buying an autosleeper topaz....

Post by Celticbiker Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum from an unusually warm and sunny Wales.
Do you have a link to said van so we can have a look at it?
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

Back to top Go down

Thinking of buying an autosleeper topaz.... Empty details fo vehicle

Post by lindadoe Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:34 pm

Hello and thanks :) because i only just joined, I cant post external links :(
the vehicle is on ebay though eBay item number:

and being sold by west midlands motorhomes for 19,999 blue topz, they only have the one :)
lindadoe
lindadoe

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticbiker Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Looks nice enough so long as there is no rust that can't be seen on photos. 
Automatics are the best for camper vans, you don't want to be clutching when stuck in traffic, just makes a holiday unnecessarily hard work. 
Seems a tad pricey to me for a 16 year old van, I would suggest trying to get 2 grand knocked off, if nothing doing, try to get a longer warranty than they are offering as a last resort try to get a drive away awning thrown in. 
Alternately just pay up if you really want it .
As for the base vehicle, don't think there's a history of any problems. 
The only issue I've ever heard of was a cam belt pulley slipping but that was on a 1.6 petrol.
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

Back to top Go down

Post by lindadoe Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:43 pm

Thank you
I think it's a bit pricey too - it has a Fiamma awning, but no bike rack or driveaway
It's a LWB TDI model - I've been looking for a while and it's travelling distannce...but yes, a bit of negotiation needed. I was thinking more like 18000/18500
We shall see!
I will have  agood check for rust - thank you
:)
lindadoe
lindadoe

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:20 pm

It's a bit pricey, but they didn't make a massive number of them, and they are probably adding a significant premium for the auto box.

If you're planning to take it long distances then the auto will be a blessing but also a bit of a liability, because IIRC it will be a conventional 4-speed auto which is going to be expensive on fuel in hilly country and relatively slow minor roads (I know, as 4 of our last 5 vans were auto box!). But the relaxed driving compensates if you're not worried about the extra fuel cost.

The other major factor is repair cost on an auto box, though I don't think one that age will be as fiercely expensive as the later Tiptronic to repair. But on a vehicle with that many miles you should be getting a nice smooth change with no clunking and no delays when first engaging gear.

Rust on a T4 is potentially more of an issue than the T5, and I've seen some not much older than this with very poor bodywork - often not obvious until you get underneath and take a close look with a torch.

I must admit to a small amount of jealousy, as it's my favourite AS model - I would have one if I could fit it in my garage...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by lindadoe Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Thank you, I wasnt after an aotomatic, actually i prefer a manual - but ive been looking for a while and it might just be nice for a change not to have to change gear! ill listen carefully when i drive it. thank you :)
lindadoe
lindadoe

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:12 pm

....as well as driving it, you might want to ask for a demonstration on making the beds up. I found it the worst feature on my old one.
The T4 has a tendency to rust along the top sides of the A pillar and across the top of the 'screen - sometimes overlooked as most people just look round the wheel arches and sills. For some reason the fuel filler flap is prone to rusting, too, though it's easily replaced.
Make sure the cambelt/waterpump has been changed within the last five years, if not it should be done before sale.
Good luck !
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by lindadoe Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Thank you. The cam belt has been done. Im quite good at rust spotting - my last camper was a 4 tonne Aussie Fire Service Bus from 1984 - the water used to drip into it from top of windscreen and windows!!! not going there again :) Quite prepared to stick my torch wherever it needs to go to check!
lindadoe
lindadoe

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by melcragg Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:21 am

The beds are tricky to setup and lumpy and no good if you are tall. Once the beds are made its hard to leave the van..... Its always a compromise in a small van.
melcragg

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Now I am not an expert on the T4 based Topaz, but I did own a T5 Topaz which I bought new and had considerable problems with the plastic trims.

1, the washroom was changed at 3.5 years due to cracks around the washbasin where it hinges, the wardrobe door side panel due to cracks, the rear panel on the door also had signs of cracks. This part paid for by A/S, but still cost me £1000 + accommodation in Broadway! I had more cracks after the next 4 years, so gave up and PX was done at only 20K miles.

2, the side cant rails split due to over tightened fixing screws.

3, the sliding door window surround split.

Hope this has not put you off as mine was a great van and in some ways I miss it, easy to drive and park etc, beds a bit of a down side.

Maybe the early Topaz was made from better grade plastic and fitted better.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:26 am

I have owned a T4 Trophy and both T4 and T5 Topaz, all with auto gearboxes .  I had a gearbox failure on the Trophy which (fortunately) had shown symptoms within the warranty period. VW made a donation but it still cost me £1,000. The fault first showed as a delay when engaging first gear.....as mentioned above by Mojo. 
No problems with rust except a couple of places where the outer skin had been breached for fitting water filler access and EHU connection.  Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by lindadoe Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks everyone that contributed to my question...have been to view and drive and cant decide! :(
Plus points:
 service history and habitation checks carried out; warranty for both van and applicances
layout is what Im looking for
VW and autospleeper combination means less of a price drop should i need to sell it
Minus points:
is it me, or do older diesel vans just smell of diesel?? my previous van was a diesel and you could smell it when tucked up in bed....
drive: the auto gearbox is not very fast, particualrly uphill - took forever to get past 40mph...is that normal for a diesel auto from 2001?? if its normal, I could get used to it, but i couldnt decide, having not driven that combo before, if it should be that slow...plenty of torque i think, but just slow to get moving; also, the green paintwork was not tip-top, fading in places and the trim stripes seen better days

Any thoughts?
Price was negotiable...we got to £18,800 (including a repair to the plastic step and servicing) but I would want to offer £18, 500 
I'm wondering what I might get that's better for that kind of money? I'm avoiding an older, cheaper van as I have been that route before and me and the kids broke down in France, Norfolk....in remote spots s not good
lindadoe
lindadoe

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Exactly what engine does it have? I always get a bit suspicious when a ~trader~ goes all vague about the spec, and his advert says "Engine Size: 2", which is unnecessarily vague. If it's got the 2.5 TDI engine then it should not be lethargic - it won't be a ball of fire either, but it shouldn't have trouble on hills. The smaller engined ones will be pretty snail-like.

Having said that, an auto box can be a bit power-sapping - on my 2.5l TDI engined Transit I always used to shift the auto box manually on hills to keep the speed up.

Diesel smells at the back when running - yes, normal until the mid 2000's when they introduced particulate filters. Diesel smells at the front - not normal and may indicate one of several problems, such as a cracked manifold or leaks.

I think you will have trouble haggling further, because the seller knows that there is big demand among older prospective owners for an auto box. If you don't actually ~want~ the auto you may be better off not looking at ones with it, or you will be paying a significant premium for something you don't need.

Last edited by -mojo- on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : smelling)
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:08 pm

...my old Topaz T reg was the 2.4 non turbo - being five cylinder it was very smooth, but looking back, it was really low on torque and not very relaxing to drive, I always seem to be changing down gears- and I'm not a fast driver at all.
The service history showed some comprehensive engine work, cylinder head especially.
I've also had the 2.4 in other VW T 'vans, and some of them had similar records. And for some reason, the tickover revs always seemed to be far too high, though I was told it was quite normal for this engine.
It isn't an engine I'd recommend....the 2.5 would be a better choice for the heavier Topaz.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by lindadoe Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:35 pm

I think it's a 2.4 TDI, four gears, automatic
I didnt realise that you could maually shift the gears - which explains the extra settings!
My frustration is the lack of availability of the layout I want that is in the vicinity of where I live. Loads of campers with the spec I want - but 200 miles away in devon.
I hadnt realised that diesil becomes a less smelly option as the years go by...so maybe I am right to find a petrol version, or one for the right price in a later model
Sigh
Rather be camping than looking for a camper!!! :)
lindadoe
lindadoe

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:54 pm

...I didn't think they did the 2.4 as a TDI.
Is there nothing suitable at Wellsbridge, on the Forty foot at Ramsey - they always advertise in MMM, with a large selection. Our Trooper originally came from Simpsons at Great Yarmouth, they've always been a VW dealer.
I've always found that it's always worth travelling to get the right van rather than settling for something which you'll always know isn't what you really want - the old saying is, "buy in haste, repent at leisure".
Yes, "rather be camping" - but there's a few months before better weather arrives, plenty of time for viewings. Sometimes we made a weekend of it with a b+b and meals out, and if the van wasn't right, well, we've had a break somewhere different. Believe me, I've had quite a few 'vans and buying the right van is so pleasurable that it's worth putting up with some short term frustrations.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:09 pm

repoort wrote:it's always worth travelling to get the right van rather than settling for something which you'll always know isn't what you really want - the old saying is, "buy in haste, repent at leisure".
I agree with that, from experience. Two vans ago I bought a camper (an A/S Rapport) that was nice enough inside, but driving it was such a chore that on anything other than short trips I always got to my final destination exhausted - so although it was cheap I couldn't live with it, and sold it within a year!

I think repoort is probably right about the engine too - AFAIK the 2.4 was never turbocharged so the dealer was probably embellishing his description of the van a bit more than he should...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:13 am

lindadoe wrote:My frustration is the lack of availability of the layout I want that is in the vicinity of where I live. Loads of campers with the spec I want - but 200 miles away in devon.

Why not travel to get the one that really fits your needs? The market for these things is small - it's nothing like as easy as buying a Fiesta or Corsa.
Peel
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by shargrea Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:27 am

It appears to have the "tdi" badge on the front grill, which would suggest it's probably the 2.5TDI (actually 2461cc). Other possibilities are 2.4D (non-turbo, actually 2370cc), or possibly (but less common) 1.9D or 1.9TD.
We've had a 2001 Topaz (2.4D, manual) for over 4 years now, and it can't be described as fast, although I don't find that a problem (though the auto will be slower still).
I'd be more concerned about how thirsty it is.
As regards the smell of diesel, there will be some fumes if you stand behind the van immediately after it's been started up, but you shouldn't notice anything when driving it, or when parked up.
When was the cam belt changed ? It should be done every 4 years, so if it was done a few years ago it won't be far off needing doing again.
We've only needed to replace the usual bits (tyres, exhaust, battery, brake pads, glowplugs) so far ...
Have a look at the plastics in the bathroom - ours are becoming brittle with age (and fading to a nasty cream/yellow).
shargrea
shargrea

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by lindadoe Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks all
It's def a TDI, I think I mistaked the 2.4 for 2.49ish which make sit 2.5
I think it's prob right to travel for the right van - having two kids in tow doesnt help!! it makes for a costly and frustrating week-end away and the kids just get in the way of viewing and decision making....but I ahve had two vans so far that were costly, although we had great trips - so thank you, I will keep hunting. I check ebay and Gumtree...will Google Wellsbridge and Simpsons at Great Yarmouth, thank you. My concern these days is not breaking down more than anything as that was an issue for both previous campers.
x
lindadoe
lindadoe

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:32 pm

....you could also try Autotrader and Preloved, I've had good results from both buying and selling on these sites.
There's nothing stopping you from contacting a dealer and asking them to source a 'van for you - the trade has far greater searching capacity than you.

I've always found that AS appeals more to the "mature" generation (me, unfortunately), and more likely to look after vehicles better than boy racers.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by lindadoe Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks again..I agree \AS seems to be well loved :)
lindadoe
lindadoe

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:25 am

You should put "Topaz for Sale " into Google.  It will cover more ground than Ebay, Gumtree or any dealer's website.  A search yesterday produced about 20 !!
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next