The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol sliding door cable release

5 posters

Go down

Symbol sliding door cable release Empty Symbol sliding door cable release

Post by plattypus Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi all

Don't live anywhere near a Peugeot main dealer. As I would go in and ask, but maybe someone on here can help.
The release cable for the sliding door won't release! and I have to physically pull the release mechanism by the step to close the door. I've taken off the door trim and the cable has a bent steel top to it that has a plastic fitment which is supposed to stop it from falling out of the securing point behind the door handle, It's this bit of plastic that's broken.
Do I need to get a new complete cable or is there a bit that fits on to it? think_smiley_46
Cheers
Roger
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : 2006 Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Symbol sliding door cable release Empty Re: Symbol sliding door cable release

Post by modelman Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:23 pm

This sounds like a more-or-less standard cable clip found on many car door releases, & yes, they can usually be obtained from dealerships, there's one a mile from me & I'll pop in next week & see, can't tomorrow as we're off early in the camper!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:03 pm

modelman wrote:This sounds like a more-or-less standard cable clip found on many car door releases, & yes, they can usually be obtained from dealerships, there's one a mile from me & I'll pop in next week & see, can't tomorrow as we're off early in the camper!!

Thats really good of you thanks a lot allthumbz
Roger
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:41 am

Just came from parts dept, they CAN get the part, but when I looked at the exploded views, there's several of them, & we need the correct one obviously!!

Model year, Type & a better description perhaps?

I saw several rods, but only 1 cable, but it had no end as such, but what looks like a cable to panel clip, which I assume to clips into a hole in the door panel, could it be that perhaps?

Regards

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi Modelman

I'll send you a PM
Regards
Roger
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Thought I would post an update on my cable problem...I went into Peugeot main dealer had a look at computer breakdown of door assembly. What I really wanted to know was, is there a securing thingy on top of a new cable or is it on the handle assembly?

The dealer was unable to tell me if there was anything at all to lock the cable in. and said I would have to book the van in for mechanics to tell me!!

So if anyone else has the same problem this is what I did... This is the top of cable that fits into hole on back of door handle..Symbol sliding door cable release P1010994 So I pushed the hooked end into the hole, and cut off a single one of these...Symbol sliding door cable release P1020013 while holding the hooked cable end in the hole pushed the electric cable connector onto the end of hook and tightened up the screw. and it worked scratch head Sliding door now opens and shuts properly. allthumbz
Roger
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Roger,
Nice bit of work there. up!
I love being able to repair something especially if I can do it for nowt. Definately beats buying a new part.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Excellent solution Roger. I have a supplimentary question. I have refrained from removing any panels in our Symbol because of the risk of breaking the plastic push in screw caps. Do you have to replace them each time or will they come out OK? I was looking at removing the rear bathroom wall to get at the water pipes which rattle something awful.
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:06 am

Hi bertb
Thanks both. for your response yes Sqip great to fix something for nothing. allthumbz

I have removed & replaced the sliding door panel 3 times and rear door panels twice and never had a problem with any of the plastic push in caps all have gone back whole.
regards
Roger
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:53 am

Thanks for that Roger. I might give it a try after Christmas.
Bert
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:08 pm

Bert,
I too have had that rear panel off on several occasions without breaking any of the little caps. I just lever them off carefully with an electrical screwdriver. I had banging pipes behind that panel and I tied them together with zipties and stuck them to the bathroom panel with duck tape. Much quieter now. Whilst I had the back panel off I filled the space behind it with loft insulation, and then refitted the rear panel, to keep the bathroom warmer. Don't know if it does much good but it can do no harm.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:53 pm

squip wrote:Bert,
I too have had that rear panel off on several occasions without breaking any of the little caps. I just lever them off carefully with an electrical screwdriver. I had banging pipes behind that panel and I tied them together with zipties and stuck them to the bathroom panel with duck tape. Much quieter now. Whilst I had the back panel off I filled the space behind it with loft insulation, and then refitted the rear panel, to keep the bathroom warmer. Don't know if it does much good but it can do no harm.

squip

That's a good idea Squip Have to do that as well. As you say might not make any difference, but won't know if you don't try up!
Roger
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi Squip. I'm so glad it's not just my pipes! Every time I turn the bathroom taps on it starts clonking. I'll definitely take it off when we come back from Christmas. Some owners have cut the back panel in half horizontally and used the lower area for storage and AS have built an open shelf there on later Symbols.
Sorry for going OT.
Bert
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:22 am

bertb wrote: Some owners have cut the back panel in half horizontally and used the lower area for storage and AS have built an open shelf there on later Symbols.
Bert

I've cut a rectangular hole in the bottom portion of mine and used the piece cut out for a door, it gives a bit more storage space for things that you need to carry but don't use often. I've also glued some closed cell foam (old sleeping mat) onto the back wall, more to protect it from anything I put in there, rather than for insulation.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Good idea Boxerman. Always a need for more storage! AS have made a bit of a pigs ear with their version. They have put a shelf in there and the space is reduced.And no door. At least in the model I saw.
bertb
bertb

Male

Back to top Go down