The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto bonnet release cable.

5 posters

Go down

Duetto bonnet release cable. Empty Duetto bonnet release cable.

Post by brodco Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:02 am

Hi wave

I was just wondering if anyone has had the bonnet release cable fail on a Mk5 transit and if so what they did about it. I know the transit forum is probably the best place to ask but I’ve been over there and haven’t really found a clear answer.

Over on the transit forum they talk about releasing with the bonnet with a “pointy stick” coming up from the bottom at the “back” of the radiator. The Haynes manual suggests something very similar but I for the life of me I still can’t see how you would get at it! scratch head

I can just about see the catch looking up from the front grill but the release mechanism is behind the metal cross member. Laying on the floor looking at the back of the radiator the cowling is in the way. The catch isn’t visible and there’s no room to get a hand up to feel anything and I can’t see where I could get a “pointy stick” up there. Even I could I don’t know how I’d release the catch because I’d have to pull it to the driver’s side somehow.

Ah well the local garage will know (I thought), they have been fixing commercial vehicles for years. Well I phoned them this morning and they didn’t but they will have a look tomorrow.
Any Ideas (preferably not involving an angle grinder)? shrugg

Brod.

Last edited by brodco on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Duetto bonnet release cable. Empty Re: Duetto bonnet release cable.

Post by scovell001 Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:23 am

Hi Brodco,

This video isn't of a transit but it demonstrates what you need to be doing.

scovell001
scovell001

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto LE

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:07 pm

Hi wave

scovell001 wrote:This video isn't of a transit but it demonstrates what you need to be doing.

Thanks for the reply. I did wonder if I could get in from the gap at the top of the headlight but I’m not sure if that would get me on top or only underneath the steel cross piece. I think (as I remember) the catch is at the top toward the back. I’ve got a bent coat hanger at the ready so I’ll have another go tonight before I take it to “the Man”!!

The next problem’s going to be sourcing a replacement as I can’t find it listed anywhere. shrugg

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scovell001 Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Local partco? Or just type ford transit bonnet release cable into google & get a quote from the online parts companies?
scovell001
scovell001

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto LE

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:16 pm

brodco wrote:Hi wave

scovell001 wrote:This video isn't of a transit but it demonstrates what you need to be doing.

Thanks for the reply. I did wonder if I could get in from the gap at the top of the headlight but I’m not sure if that would get me on top or only underneath the steel cross piece. I think (as I remember) the catch is at the top toward the back. I’ve got a bent coat hanger at the ready so I’ll have another go tonight before I take it to “the Man”!!

The next problem’s going to be sourcing a replacement as I can’t find it listed anywhere. shrugg

Brod.

No Breakers yards in Worthing?

For something like that, it's not only your best source but also when removing it you will have first hand experience at re-fitting! Plus any decent Yard wouldn't charge you much more than a fiver for that.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi   wave
Bulletguy wrote:No Breakers yards in Worthing?
Actually there is a little back street place that specializes in Transits. I didn't know that a few days ago but I do now. up! As it turned out it wasn’t the cable.

I prodded and poked but I couldn’t find a way in so I got the local garage to do it. It’s fairly obvious how open it when you can see it, but with the bonnet closed and without another vehicle to look at it’s not so easy. To make it more awkward there is a plastic cover around the catch, presumably to make it more difficult to break in to.

It turned that the cable was OK but had just become detached from the latch. I don’t know whether there is some sort of retaining clip that has broken or if it’s simply wear in the latch where the cable slots in. The garage fixed it with a cable tie and it works perfectly for now but I’m not sure how the cable tie will stand up to the heat (being directly above the radiator). I know you can get high temperature cable ties so I’ll probably try and get hold of one of those.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I suspect other Transit owners reading this might like to check the cable fixing the next time they open the bonnet. It’s a simple check that could save problems later and something you (well I) wouldn’t normally think about.

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:54 pm

Hmm.... methinks it might be a good idea to open the bonnets of our vehicles now, whilst all is well, and take some photos. They will show me the location of the catch etc in relation to outside items such as decal or light, and also remind me (in a few years' time when this disaster happens) of the mechanism under each bonnet.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi there,

Definitely something to check and photograph before the end of the week.

With regard to the repair with a cable-tie at the moment Lidl are selling Pattex "plastic metal" at a reasonable price.  It is mixed like putty, can be shaped when it's in place and cures rock solid in 24 hours.

A dollop of that smoothed over the cable-tie would reinforce and protect it.

It's also great stuff to have in the toolbox.  Hope this helps.allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:47 pm

brodco wrote:Hi   wave
Bulletguy wrote:No Breakers yards in Worthing?
Actually there is a little back street place that specializes in Transits. I didn't know that a few days ago but I do now. up! As it turned out it wasn’t the cable.

I prodded and poked but I couldn’t find a way in so I got the local garage to do it. It’s fairly obvious how open it when you can see it, but with the bonnet closed and without another vehicle to look at it’s not so easy. To make it more awkward there is a plastic cover around the catch, presumably to make it more difficult to break in to.

It turned that the cable was OK but had just become detached from the latch. I don’t know whether there is some sort of retaining clip that has broken or if it’s simply wear in the latch where the cable slots in. The garage fixed it with a cable tie and it works perfectly for now but I’m not sure how the cable tie will stand up to the heat (being directly above the radiator). I know you can get high temperature cable ties so I’ll probably try and get hold of one of those.

I suspect other Transit owners reading this might like to check the cable fixing the next time they open the bonnet. It’s a simple check that could save problems later and something you (well I) wouldn’t normally think about.

Glad to hear you 'got sorted'.

Over something like that there are a couple of ways to find out. 1) Find one in a breakers yard and have a look at that or 2) ask any half decent car thief! Believe it or not some thieves 'had a go' at nicking my mates Duetto and must have been disturbed. He came out to find some screws on the road at the front of his van and the bonnet undone....so they'd managed that much!

Just lob a bit of grease around the latch and where the cable joins to it. Once done you won't get the same problem again as it will outlast the van!  hugegrins
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down