The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seitz Concertina Blinds on 2014 Symbol

+3
bobash
PLOUGHLIN
phil1855
7 posters

Go down

Seitz Concertina Blinds on 2014 Symbol Empty Seitz Concertina Blinds on 2014 Symbol

Post by phil1855 Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:25 am

Hi, Just back from first trip away in the Symbol, had a little issue with the Cab windscreen Seitz blinds. They pull up from the dash board and follow a channel which has a kink in it to allow the blinds to miss the reversing mirror as they are raised. All so good so far, however when the blinds are pulled up to their highest point ( Covering the whole front windscreen) they do not stay in place. In a fashion resembling "Nobby Styles socks" they slip back down to a point which makes them sit several inches below the rear view mirror, therefore covering around 2/3rds of the screen. 
My question is this normal ? there appears  to be only friction holding them in place, as I have not found any locking device  scratch head
phil1855
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Seitz Concertina Blinds on 2014 Symbol Empty Re: Seitz Concertina Blinds on 2014 Symbol

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:47 pm

On the horizontal sliding windscreen blinds the edges are magnetic to "lock" in place. I would expect the vertical ones to be magnetic to "lock" to the headrail?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Seitz Concertina Blinds on 2014 Symbol Empty Re: Seitz Concertina Blinds on 2014 Symbol

Post by bobash Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:57 pm

I have them fitted to my Kingham. The metal rail fitted to the top of the blind clips on to the plastic moulding just above the mirror. You have to slightly twist the metal rail towards you before pushing it into position.
bobash
bobash

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi Ploughlin. and Bobash
                   Thanks for the replies.
 Yes Me too, it would seem the answer, as the side window blinds stay in place really well, however sadly there are no magnets. Also it is not possible to raise the blinds with the reversing camera/mirror in place, as it fits over the standard mirror and obstructs the action of the blinds. This requires the mirror to be un clipped then placed on top of the drivers sun visor to allow the blinds to be raised past the mirror. However the cable that feeds the screen, will not allow the top of the blinds to get to the plastic moulding, as it enters the headlining at that point. It looks as if the reversing camera screen is standard so it may be a design issue!
Even without the cable being there it does not appear that the blinds have anything to grip into.
Still confused!
phil1855
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:40 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:On the horizontal sliding windscreen blinds the edges are magnetic to "lock" in place. I would expect the vertical ones to be magnetic to "lock" to the headrail?

On ours the magnetic strip handily comes unstuck from the extrusion in hot weather, leaving the magnetic bits stuck to each other and a handy 'fly paper' on the exposed edge.  rolleyes
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubert Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi Phil

I had the same problem with the windscreen blind when I first tried using it.

Bobash is right with his method. If you look closely at the plastic runners you should find that when you pull the blind up to the top you need to just twist the top metal blind rail clockwise i.e. towards you as you push it up and it should click in place. From memory (van is in storage) I think there is a slight lip on the inside of the plastic guides.

The mirror can be left in place but does have to be aligned parallel to the screen and then the blind just passes it. I think that's why they've altered them to the horizontal sliding type.

It took me a few goes to get the hang of it and I've had to show others on site how to do it.

Hubert
Hubert
Hubert
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:45 pm

We had a stainless extension made (by my brother at work) to solve the short mirror problem.

Seitz Concertina Blinds on 2014 Symbol Wa0tw7
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:08 pm

Thanks everyone !!

Hubert you win today's star prize   allthumbz. Probably not using enough lateral thinking.

It "Just" misses the mirror an stays in place a treat.

Phil
phil1855
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:23 am

We picked our new van up last may and it had blinds fitted as standard, on the first night I tried to pull them and they couldn't meet in the middle because of the mirror.
Took it back to the dealers the next morning and they cut the frame of the blinds on the leading edge and they just slide into it's self and when you return it to it's (parked position) it just pops back out again.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:28 am

Ours are Remis blinds which have this sliding cut-out as standard, the mirror boss is still too short to allow the blinds to pass on a 2005 X244 Pug, and it was on our previous X230 as well.

In my opinion it's a symptom of designers' and manufacturers' inability and/or unwillingness to communicate with each other for the benefit of their customers.
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:31 am

Ah! ours are remis as well, perhaps ours was there all the time.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:04 pm

breakaleg wrote:We picked our new van up last may and it had blinds fitted as standard, on the first night I tried to pull them and they couldn't meet in the middle because of the mirror.
Took it back to the dealers the next morning and they cut the frame of the blinds on the leading edge and they just slide into it's self and when you return it to it's (parked position) it just pops back out again.
Pete
Are you sure about that Pete?

I was given a demonstration of the blinds at the factory before ordering our van, and they appear to come ready fitted with those little sliding cut-outs. I reckon your dealer just gave them a poke to free them up, and basked in the glory of a nifty little modification that the crafty sod didn't actually do!! Whistle1

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:06 pm

My 2011 blinds have the sliding cutout, standard I believe.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

I did think how quick that they did the job and how neat it was done, but they didn't let on.
lol
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Back to top Go down