The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thetford cassette compartment

5 posters

Go down

Thetford cassette compartment Empty Thetford cassette compartment

Post by dean01982 Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi, hope youv all had a good weekend, iv just got back from a weekend away in the van and came to empty the toilet and noticed that the floor of the cassette holder was wet with pink fluid from the flusher and a tiny bit of blue liquid, after removing the cassette i dried the fluid out and noticed a couple of small holes in the floor of the compartment, do these drain out side the van or inside so weird way? Also any ideas how the liquid gets in there? Maybe overfill? Didnt seem like dirty water, thanks
dean01982
dean01982

Male

Member Age : 42
Auto-Sleeper Model : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Thetford cassette compartment Empty Re: Thetford cassette compartment

Post by dogseal Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:21 pm

dean01982 wrote:Hi, hope youv all had a good weekend, iv just got back from a weekend away in the van and came to empty the toilet and noticed that the floor of the cassette holder was wet with pink fluid from the flusher and a tiny bit of blue liquid, after removing the cassette i dried the fluid out and noticed a couple of small holes in the floor of the compartment, do these drain out side the van or inside so weird way? Also any ideas how the liquid gets in there? Maybe overfill? Didnt seem like dirty water, thanks
Hi Dean,
Your A/S is about the same age as mine so the cassettes could be the same. If there are 4 separate voids under the removable yellow flap with a hole in each, these are for screwing the unit to the floor. could be spillage, but i'd keep an eye on it.

Tim.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by dean01982 Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:16 pm

Hi tim, the is a yellow flap which is a T shape which looks like the cassette sits on, but there is nothing for that to screw to as its ends just sit on the base by slits in the plastic, the holes iv seen are on the base of the storage container, no thread or anything just holes, thought maybe they were for overfill etc that may lead to the out side,  i read some where on here that the pink water could be from shutting the seal after use to soon and water from the flush sitting ontop of the seal, where the blue came from il never know
dean01982
dean01982

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:38 pm

I recently changed the ring seal in the top of the cassette to eliminate dribbles like those you describe. My vehicle is also 10 years old and it was obvious when removed that it had deteriorated. Closing the blade too soon after flushing means that the ring seal has to hold the liquid. If its faulty it could allow some to pass onto the cassette and then into the casing below.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:53 pm

The four  compartments  under the cassette with the yellow T piece are to hold the small bottles of toilet additive and also the rinse , two of each, but in mine I have liquid bio washing soap.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:18 am

I assume that an '05 Dorset will have the bench Thetford which isn't a problem in my experience and therefore the issue may be either wear on the seal, which is easily replace or just some fluid that was laying on top of the seal when the cassette was removed. The other possibility is that the pink water tank has been too full when travelling and has sloshed some out.

The C250 swivel loo, introduced circa '07/'08, on the other hand, was more of a problem. The shutter pivot pin was a wedge shape interference fit to speed production but would sometimes decide to drop out into the depths of the cassette and be emptied away. That left a dangly shutter. The answer is a suitable size self tapping screw which should stay in place forever.

Early C250 frames didn't hold the cassette close enough to the seal and leaks were a problem. To get over that Thetford supplied lengths of thin white plastic to act as shims under the cassette. This works fine as long as you realise they are shims and serve a purpose and they're not gash bits of plastic left over from the build. I nearly threw our shims away until someone at Spinney advised me why we'd suddenly started suffering loo leaks and put me right.

DM is correct about the small bottle storage, usually a new van will have a couple of freebies in there. 

In one van we had the fan option fitted, where a fan operates for a few minutes after every flush. In this case the air is routed through one of the floor 'compartments' which holds a slim cardboard box filled with charcoal. The box has a vent either end and the air is pumped through and then out under the van. The box is supposed to be changed regularly but as is the way with such things they are v expensive for what they are.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by dean01982 Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Thanks for your replies,
Keith - i think il replace the seal any how even tho im unsure if its broke just for peice of mind, seems pretty straight forward

Daisy mae- i never thought as them for storage as there was small holes in each but guess thats for spillage, great il try my bottles in there later, will free up the back cupboard behind the rear doors, thank you
Steam- yes its a bench toilet, come to think of it now you said been over filled that could be a big part of the problem, i remember thinking this is taking alot of water, although the water level was only just over half on the clear tube indicator, i did notice on the rubber flex that the indicator is attached to thatnthere was a small circular bit of plastic come loose, reatatched and will try again

Thanks all
dean01982
dean01982

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:20 pm

Just been out on our first trip, found the very same problem, clear water on top of the cassette, with some blue in places.
Came to the conclusion that I had overfilled.
the van is 17 years old, where can I get a new seal.

first time out man
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:22 pm

[quote="r.hubbard321@btinternet.c"]Just been out on our first trip, found the very same problem, clear water on top of the cassette, with some blue in places.

first time out man[/quote]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:23 pm

[quote]

[quote]
Just been out on our first trip, found the very same problem, clear water on top of the cassette, with some blue in places.

first time out man[/quote]
[/quote]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:34 pm

Guest wrote:

first time out man
if it is the Cap and spout seal it is part no. 16195

If it is the Lipseal it is part no.16175  theses are for toilets produced until  15th June 2000

These are for Thetford toilet C2

Hope this is of some help. O`Learys may have them

Leisure Shop Direct have a list of spares and instructions of how to.

Last edited by daisy mae on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : instructions.)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down