The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

t4 trident - does anyone use the roof rack?

5 posters

Go down

t4 trident - does anyone use the roof rack? Empty t4 trident - does anyone use the roof rack?

Post by mills1983 Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:49 pm

Having recently bought a VW T4 Trident I was wondering if anyone makes use of the roof rack? I was thinking of perhaps strapping a waterproof duffel bag up there?
mills1983
mills1983

Male

Member Age : 41
Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Trident
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

t4 trident - does anyone use the roof rack? Empty Re: t4 trident - does anyone use the roof rack?

Post by VWBlondie Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:35 pm

I haven't but may put a storage box up there depending on how nimble I'm feeling! content
VWBlondie
VWBlondie

Female

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident VW
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

t4 trident - does anyone use the roof rack? Empty Re: t4 trident - does anyone use the roof rack?

Post by finbar Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:26 pm

I looked at the possibility of using the roof rails, but on inspection they don't appear to be sturdy enough to support a load.
The fact that Auto sleeper don't give a load rating for the roof speaks volumes. shrugg
I came to the conclusion that the flat textured section of fibreglass roof within the tube frame might support something like a small bag that could be strapped to the tubing to secure it.
I don't think the tubing would support a roof box or similar like a roof rack. The tubes are attached to the glassfibre roof using wooden battens. The wind resistance and weight of a box might crack the glassfibre and cause water ingress.
Too risky for me. uncertain

Finbar
finbar
finbar

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:48 am

Not sure I'd fancy it, for the reasons stated above. Mind you, we managed to fit everything in even with all the clutter a one-year-old needs (pushchair, highchair, travel cot etc) for a two-week holiday.
Peel
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by scrumpyjack14 Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:03 am

For a 2 week holiday in Spain with 2 adults and Besty the Black Lab we stuck a Fiamma box on the bike rack. That worked very well for us. We used it for walking gear, dog food and other odds and ends that we didnt mind getting damp (not that they did). It made opening the rear tailgate a little tricky (i had a broom handle to keep it open) and obviously means you can't carry bikes.

Something to think about...

Steve
scrumpyjack14
scrumpyjack14

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by mills1983 Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:51 pm

thanks for the replies! doesn't seem like the roof bars have much use then?
I suppose it's good to know that something fairly light could be strapped up there if desperate!
mills1983
mills1983

Male

Member Age : 41
Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Trident
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down