The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

converting a 2 berth Harmony to 4 berth

+5
gemdeco
Carver
Paulmold
fenderbender
ljf1
9 posters

Go down

converting a 2 berth Harmony to 4 berth Empty converting a 2 berth Harmony to 4 berth

Post by ljf1 Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Hi

Im looking to buy a Harmony as I must have two rear seatbelts (any other options/advice welcome!) 

I need a 4 berth - or top bed bit for my two small kids and as its hard to find a 4 berth i was wondering if i get a 2 berth how easy/cheap it is to add the fold out top bed bit?

My only other option as far as im aware is the Sussex but I think they are out of my price range - max £17,000 

Any help/advice welcome!

Thanks 
Lee
ljf1
ljf1

Female

Member Age : 46
Auto-Sleeper Model : none
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

converting a 2 berth Harmony to 4 berth Empty Re: converting a 2 berth Harmony to 4 berth

Post by fenderbender Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi, i wouldnt try to alter a two berth, theres a trident 4 berth on ebay at the moment would that set up be suitable ?

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

converting a 2 berth Harmony to 4 berth Empty Re: converting a 2 berth Harmony to 4 berth

Post by Paulmold Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:07 pm

There are also some bed boards and mattresses on Ebay if they suit...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi
You could also look for a Symbol/Symphony with the over-cab bed arrangement.  They also made these as an 'ES' model (extra seat) to give four belted seats.
I think that if you can find one with this configuration, you should be just within your budget.
Carver
Carver
Carver

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:10 pm

Hi
  How about a Pollensa,they are a true 4 berth with rear belted seats,and should be in your price range
  regards 
     Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Trophyman Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:36 pm

Not sure if this helps, but I have a 1995 VW Trophy and I am fitting two three point seat belt seats in the back. I have taken bits out and found that the offside wall has a full array of three point seat belt bolt holes behind all the trim. This is very good news as I can now install two captains chairs with safe belts for rear passengers. I have bought two seats from eBay that are full swivel seats with arm rests, came out of a Toyota Estima. Next stage is to build small boxes in the back that are strongly fixed to the floor, prior to bolting new seats in. At the end I want the genuine look and feel of an AS ( with 'Ocean' ribbed carpet lining) but good safe seats for four people.
Trophyman
Trophyman

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:47 am

Trophyman wrote:I have taken bits out and found that the offside wall has a full array of three point seat belt bolt holes behind all the trim.
I'm not wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs, but one thing to check (if you haven't already) is that the reinforcing plates are installed, because IIRC VW have a very annoying habit of making the holes but not putting the backing plates in if the van's spec does not require rear seatbelts.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Trophyman Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:39 pm

Thanks mojo, I think it is okay though because the side walls in the Trophy have strong box sections in which the seat belt nuts are welded. These run from the floor to the roof and look very strong. The floor is a different ballgame and my latest plan is this: I have found that in older Transit vans under the driver's seat there is a simple steel box that un bolts very easily and is about 20cms high. This is about right to support my Toyota Estima seats and I can get a couple of Transit seat boxes from a local scrap yard for £20 each. I intend to bolt these into the floor pan with bolts going into the chassis box sections. I might use spreader plates under the chassis to add extra strength, but I am waiting for the rain to stop so I can get under and have a look. Once all,is done, I need to call up the insurers and see what they need by way of certification, having made changes. I might do this sooner rather than later in case I need to get the boxes installed by a garage or competent person.
Trophyman
Trophyman

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trophy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:28 pm

My Harmony, built in 1995, was originally supplied at a two berth as this was all I could get in the time scales in which we needed the van. However the dealer, Hayes, did the conversion with the bits supplied by AS. Essentially, all they did was replace the upper bulkhead (incorporating a door) with the drop down first bed section, and provide the three further bed sections and steps. As far as I remember, the Harmony was supplied ex-factory with rear seat belts whether or not the upper bed was specified. So, given a bit of improvisation, it should be pretty straightforward to convert a two berth to a four berth. If anyone want to measure the bits then feel free to drop by.

I know I keep going on about it but, as a family, we found the 'four-square' seating arrangement ideal for us and the kids. Twenty years on, we still have no desire to upgrade or replace the Harmony, particularly as grandkids will hopefully be coming out with us in the next few years. At the time we chose the Harmony over a Trident and, as much as I like the compactness of the latter, I very much doubt we would have retained it as long as we have the Harmony.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by chilledstorm Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:33 pm

Would love to know if you did go ahead and create your 4 berth. Something I'm looking to do myself.
chilledstorm
chilledstorm

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : none

Back to top Go down