The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12v System question

+9
redturner37
richardstubbs
Bulletguy
Charliefarlie
chrisvesey
Kingham
shargrea
brodco
Canoman1
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

12v System question - Page 2 Empty Re: 12v System question

Post by richardstubbs Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:24 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
mikethebike wrote:As i understand the workings of the fridge when engine running, the fridge works on 12 volt from the alternator (Continuous operation) without thermo control.

Assuming it's switched on it does. Not sure what you mean by 'continuous operation' though? 

As i mentioned in another post, a friend of mine never switched his off. For what reason exactly i've no idea as i can't see much sense in running an empty fridge! When mine isn't being used i use the lock to keep the door secure but slightly open so it 'airs'.
It means that there's a thermostat for the 230V and a regulo thingy for the gas, but the 12V is flat-out all the time the engine's running. Also, it's rated at 12 Volts, but it's more like 14 Volts once off idle. Which is why it gets cold.

Mine is about 100W, so if it was left on all year on EHU that would be £130 or so on electricity, perhaps as low as half of that if the thermostat duty cycle is 50%. I don't do that. It's 28 years old and still works perfectly.

I do that slightly open thing too, but it still always smells a bit of cheese. I blame the French (camembert) smile!
richardstubbs
richardstubbs

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rapport
Vehicle Year : 1988

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2