The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ?

+25
Relaxez-Vous
Paramedic
Paulmold
Fleeb1
Vardy
Minniesmum
chrisvesey
chalky
tcarne
1Oll
murph
Cymro
ssjohnl
burlingtonboaby
Dutto
mgm
peugeotboxer
dandywarhol
Peterm
Cello297
Waves117
Biglol
roli
CC
stevomar
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? Empty Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ?

Post by stevomar Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi

After the first time we slept in our Trident my wife went out and bought a Memory Foam Mattress Topper because she found the Rock and Roll bed in it too hard - This can't be a VW problem can it because AS must get the beds made especially ?
I had to cut it down to size to match the length and width of the bed and it is stored on the area below the rear parcel shelf (see photo). It only takes a few second to roll out at night and back in the morning - It's probably easier and quicker than fitting a sheet.
[img]Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? 2011-03-10_14-26-14_542[/img][img]Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? 2011-03-10_14-19-20_801[/img]
I guess its just personal preference but has anyone else found AS beds too hard - or too soft for that matter ?

Cheers

Stevo

Last edited by stevomar on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? Empty Re: Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ?

Post by CC Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi Stevo

We have discussed getting one of these as we too find the bed hard, its not so much the hardness but the dips where the cusions join, guessing with one of these you dont feel them so much? We have sleeping bags for sleeping in rather than sheets and duvets, but like the idea of it rolling up under the rear parcel shelf :)

Our experience of memory foam is you have to buy good quality for them to be any good, last year we bought a Tempur bed, heck of alot of money but well worth it!

Found this place which does them and fairly good value: http://www.myduvetandpillow.co.uk/toppers-and-protectors/memory-foam-toppers.html

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? Empty Re: Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ?

Post by roli Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:56 am

We use Duvalays (if thats how you spell it) and I must admit the memory foam bottom does improve sleeping comfort. I think part of the problem on the newer models (last 10 years or so) is there is not enough support for the seat/bed base and introduced some extra cross bracings which also helped. Vans such as the Executive which had both a ply base to the seat and a wooden top to the base unit seemed a lot more comfortable IMO. (they did have thicker cushion units as well which may have helped)
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Biglol Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:50 am

Use the Duvelay myself, very good item, just roll it up and stow away in locker above front seats. you fit your own duvet "tog whatever" and you are snug.

Biglol

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Waves117 Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:47 am

Duvalays??? confuzed

Never heard of these, so just did a search on the web to find out what they are - am I correct in assuming these are memory foam sleeping bags??? If so these appears to be a good idea - costs around £100 though, so not cheap!

Are they really worth this much? Are they that comfortable? Please let me know as im seriously thinking of a purchase

Waves117 wave
Waves117
Waves117
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : TRIDENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biglol Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:10 am

A Duvelay (spelling) is a large cotton/nylon sheet with two pockets, one large enough to fit a Duvet and the other pocket you put the memory foam topper in. The pockets are zipped to keep contents inside. We bought ours a year ago with just the foam toppers, then fitted our own duvets as I like a very lightweight one.
They are not cheap but we find them perfect as they come in a tight roll with elasticated straps holding them together for storage

I would suggest you go to a show, we saw them at an Exeter show. Make sure you have the room to store them before purchase, if you have a fixed bed then no problem, we store ours in the locker above our heads

Biglol

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:28 am

An advantage Biglol didnt mention, if you turn over in the night your back doesnt become uncovered as the top bit is longer and can rise with you. This applies to use either as a single or when two are placed together as a double (if you understand what I mean) The other advantage as far as I am concerned is you dont have the restraints of an (extra large size) sleeping bag, as you have more freedom to roll so to speak
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Waves117 Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:13 pm

thanx Biglol and Roli - now I understand

Waves117 wave
Waves117
Waves117
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : TRIDENT

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? Empty Raskelf

Post by Cello297 Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm

We use Raskelf, which, I guess, must be like the Duvalay. Brilliantly comfortable if not cheap.

Sleep well! kissykiss
Cello297
Cello297
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Biglol Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Cello297 wrote:We use Raskelf, which, I guess, must be like the Duvalay. Brilliantly comfortable if not cheap.

Sleep well! kissykiss

Hi Cello297, I think (but could be wrong) Raskelf make the Duvalay up!

Biglol

Male

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? Empty Oops!

Post by Cello297 Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:02 pm

Well there you go! Learn something every day.... Seriously comfortable anyway. celebrate Shane
Cello297
Cello297
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Has anyone here got a pic of these Duvelay thingys? scratch head
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:32 pm

roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks for the link roli :) so its like a memory foam topper with a throwback duvert cover if im correct? is there enough cover to keep you covered up all the time as i tend to turn a bit during my sleep.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:21 am

Thats the very reason we got them, so we can turn over without restriction, etc. They are at most shows if you need to see them.
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 10, 2011 10:37 pm

After one night on the seat cushions I bought one of these. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10139822 A bit expensive but very comfortable.
I bought a duvet cover that it just fits inside after a struggle. Living room floor job. It rolls up and fits in the over cab bunk with its extension boards removed. I keep it rolled with 2 straps which help manouvre the roll. One issue is that they say it needs 72 hours to regain its shape when unrolled but in practice that doesn't seem to have been a problem.Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? IMG_3144
Makes a full double. with the curtains drawn it's just like a four poster. (With a steering wheel in the corner)
Only hit the horn button once! The other time wasn't me...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? Empty Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone e

Post by Peterm Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:48 am

Does anyone find the foam mattress very hot? I have found the pillows a bit warm.
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:16 pm

Memory foam topper from Poundstrechers - king size less than £40 - excellent night's sleep and folds away into the overhead locker in a Clubman smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Bought 'Silentnight' double and cut in half for the two singles. Haven't slept on them yet but must be an improvement to the uneveness of the seats and cushions!! Checked for cheapest prices on ebay.
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:43 pm

To hard for me/us - the topper just takes off the lack of "yield"

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? Empty Bed size.

Post by mgm Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:30 pm

We've bought a 1999 Pollensa picking up from dealership end of the month. We're considering one of these toppers as we have one on the hosue bed.
What size are the beds on these, does anyone know?

Thanks.
mgm
mgm

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi there,

We had a "double" on our boat with mixed results. wave

I found it just too hot whenever the weather improved to above 10 degrees. tap_fingers

Her Ladyship thought it was great in all weathers! broomstick

"Different strokes . . . . " and all that.

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? Empty Memory foam bed toppers

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:02 pm

We have two single Raskelf Duvalays, 190cm long x 66cm wide, with 2.5 mattress, great for the summer, I'm 6 foot at 17 stone and they cover me up, I sleep above the cab and as warm as bug in a rug. up!

Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? Empty Where do you store your foam topper?

Post by ssjohnl Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:21 pm

I'm thinking of buying a memory foam double mattress topper. I imagine that you can't really fold them down the middle so thought we might buy two single ones and make a cover a bit like a double duvet cover but stitched down the middle. This would mean that once the foam was inserted, it could be folded in half for easier storage. Then I thought it may be rather large when rolled up and be a problem to store during the day when not required. I suppose I could leave it flat and lay it out on the bench seat (with some overhang).
I wondered if anyone else has tried this rather than buying a Duvalay and if so, if it has been successful.

John
ssjohnl
ssjohnl

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? Empty Where do you store it?

Post by Cymro Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:51 am

Bought a posh memory foam for the MH. Very comfortable. But storage was a problem. We use the central, double-bed arrangement in the Clubman, using bottom fitted sheet and a duvet. With the pillows, they are easily stored in overcab locker. But when the memory foam was added, our remaining storage space was drastically limited - to such an extent that we felt it preferable to tolerate the (admittedly not comfortable) bed cushions and abandon the memory foam so as to be able to store more essential stuff.

So I advise anyone about to buy to pause, and make up a mock-up of the same rolled-up dimensions (e.g. a rolled up duvet) and try storing it with the other bedding.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next