The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting opening windows in rear doors

3 posters

Go down

Fitting opening windows in rear doors Empty Fitting opening windows in rear doors

Post by Infared Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:17 am

Is it possible to fit opening windows in the rear doors? If so where can I get it done?

I have seen other makes of van conversions with windows on both Fiat and Peugeot base models.
Infared
Infared

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : :2011

Back to top Go down

Fitting opening windows in rear doors Empty Re: Fitting opening windows in rear doors

Post by Ritametermaid Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:06 pm

Hi, we are thinking seriously about buying a Kingham, but with no opening windows at the rear we are wondering if it may be too warm. Was that your experience and have you found a solution? Thanks we would appreciate hearing from you. Rita
Ritametermaid
Ritametermaid

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Fitting opening windows in rear doors Empty Re: Fitting opening windows in rear doors

Post by Infared Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:07 am

Having downsized we felt that we would liked to have had more ventilation especially in the warmer weather we experienced last year in Portugal.
I have heard of people leaving the rear doors ajar, secured with a hook system but my wife wasn't keen on that idea.
We have got a Fiamma Autovent fitted which did a great job at drawing in cool air or removing hot air. Its quiet enough to leave running all night but in practice the thermostat would cut in and turn it off.

Ian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ritametermaid Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:48 pm

Thankyou Ian,

I am waiting for Autosleeper to come back to me regarding putting a slidding window in the back, but good to know there is an alternative.
Coincidentally we will be spending most of our time in Portugal so for that reason we really need some ventilation in the bedroom.

Thanks for the info.

Regards Rita
Ritametermaid
Ritametermaid

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ritametermaid Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:26 am

Hi Ian,

The Auto-Sleeper dealer came back to us saying the rear door windows could possibly be changed to the standard double glazed opening version, but we've decided that we would try what you suggested first and we have ordered our new Kingham with a Fiamma vent and a solar panel. 

Regards Rita
Ritametermaid
Ritametermaid

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Infared Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:25 am

Hi Rita, 
thanks for the update.  I would think that it would not be a problem changing the windows if fitted from new but could possibly be quite expensive as a retro-fit. I would think the original doors are customised by AS with the glazing to match the rest of the van.
Make sure the Fiamma vent is the one with thermostatic control, sometimes called Polar control.

Ian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ritametermaid Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:49 am

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that information. I'll get onto the Auto-Sleeper dealer today and make sure it has a thermostatic control, it was something not mentioned when we ordered the van.

In your experience of using your van in Portugal in hot weather was the Fiamma vent sufficient to cool the van at night? If not I'll ask them for opening back windows as well.

Rita
Ritametermaid
Ritametermaid

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:22 am

Am I right in assuming you mean opening windows in the habitation area or are we talking rear opening doors ?

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Ritametermaid Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:49 am

Yes the Auto-Sleeper dealer say they can fit opening windows to both rear doors even though one is behind the bathroom, because it will look odd otherwise.
Ritametermaid
Ritametermaid

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Infared Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:21 am

Ritametermaid wrote:Hi Ian,

Thanks for that information. I'll get onto the Auto-Sleeper dealer today and make sure it has a thermostatic control, it was something not mentioned when we ordered the van.

In your experience of using your van in Portugal in hot weather was the Fiamma vent sufficient to cool the van at night? If not I'll ask them for opening back windows as well.

Rita
Last July when we in Portugal it got into the high 30's. The Fiamma vent was sufficient to cool the van at night. We had the thermostat set so that it cut-out during the night. We found that we required our quilts overnight.
I had wanted to have opening windows in the rear doors because you can't always have the Heiki roof vent open.
Maybe I should enquire about the cost of having them retro-fitted.

Ian
Infared
Infared

Male

Back to top Go down