The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topaz bed issues

+3
jon squires
ssjohnl
elvereater
7 posters

Go down

Topaz bed issues Empty Topaz bed issues

Post by elvereater Sun May 31, 2015 1:17 pm

Hello everyone,
Just joined this forum to share experiences with my Topaz and pick up any tips to improve the experience.
I read a lot of submissions about the bed arrangements in the older Topaz a/s. I use a topper and that must be the best way, but regarding the length of the bed I wondered whether anyone knew whether there was an infill piece that sits between the front seats. That would make a big difference to the taller of us.
Glad to be aboard
Elvereater
elvereater
elvereater

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Topaz bed issues Empty Re: Topaz bed issues

Post by ssjohnl Sun May 31, 2015 2:05 pm

We recently sold our 2000 Topaz and it certainly had the infill for between the seats - it had a hinged 'leg' to support it. There should be 3 infill pieces in total and I could not have managed without the centre one!

John
ssjohnl
ssjohnl

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by jon squires Sun May 31, 2015 10:03 pm

We have a 1998 topaz and there is an infill piece for between the front seats. The previous owner made it into a box, with the I fill cushion a hinged lid which is a great idea for other topaz owners out there. 

I am 6ft and sleep either at a slight diagonal or with at least one of my feet going off the end between the seat backs.
jon squires
jon squires

Male

Member Age : 41
Auto-Sleeper Model : topaz
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by jon squires Sun May 31, 2015 10:05 pm

We have a thin duvet we use instead of a sheet which we find plenty comfortable enough.
jon squires
jon squires

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by elvereater Sun May 31, 2015 11:14 pm

Thanks for the responses. Would anyone know of a source where I could buy these items?
Thanks for your help,
Elvereater
elvereater
elvereater

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jon squires Sun May 31, 2015 11:26 pm

Try phoning Autosleeper, I have found their spares dept. very good.
jon squires
jon squires

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:37 pm

We are on our second Topaz. Bedtime is not the best time of day, but as a retired couple we find the Topaz an ideal day vehicle on holiday and on home ground. So the bed compromise is accepted. There are three infill  pieces. Two wedge shaped pieces to level the cab seats when they are rotated and one (aforementioned) item to fill the gap between the cab seats. We never use them as we prefer two singles making the walkthrough to the loo available when the beds are in use, They would also occupy a significant proportion of the limited storage in a Topaz, so they stay at home. We use a 1" topper on each bed and each of us sleeps with a double-size  duvet half under and half over.
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by elvereater Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:30 am

KMRTopaz

Many thanks for that help very interesting. We agree with you about the compromise. The convenience of the rest of the Topaz is the advantage. Being 6 ft 2' tall i need the piece between the cab seats in order to stretch out. I will try Autosleeper spares.

Thanks for your help

Elvereater
elvereater
elvereater

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kenjones Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:30 pm

KMRTOPAZ wrote:We are on our second Topaz. Bedtime is not the best time of day, but as a retired couple we find the Topaz an ideal day vehicle on holiday and on home ground. So the bed compromise is accepted. There are three infill  pieces. Two wedge shaped pieces to level the cab seats when they are rotated and one (aforementioned) item to fill the gap between the cab seats. We never use them as we prefer two singles making the walkthrough to the loo available when the beds are in use, They would also occupy a significant proportion of the limited storage in a Topaz, so they stay at home. We use a 1" topper on each bed and each of us sleeps with a double-size  duvet half under and half over.
Our experience is very similar to yours. Love the Topaz for its size and equipment but the beds could be better. We have a full set of cushions which live in the loft at home as space in the van is too valuable.
Using the singles option works well for us and still preserves the walk through capability.
kenjones
kenjones
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Topaz LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:41 pm

As we use the single bed option we have left the backrest (thick & bulky) along with bits of the double bed make-up in the loft.
In order to form a back rest that passes muster Ann suggested using the main parts of the 'filler' for the front seats. These larger bits, when the smaller wedges are removed (held on by velcro) fit nicely, thick ends to the top thin edge in the groove between the settee base and long filler piece, against the rear of the off side settee.
[We also chose to cover our living area seats to protect them]
At night we pull the settee out to its first position and the wedges are now reversed, with the thick edge down in the slot, forming a nice filler/draft excluder. 
We use two of Ann's crotchet knee rugs (folded) to fill in the dished front seats (or a small cushion) should the nights become cold!!
Using this set-up also gives more seat to sit on as with the backrest in place and the settee fully home the 'bottom' space is rather narrow, and it sits high up on the o/s window.
frederic [& ann]   Hi-Five
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by C0LL0 Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:07 pm

The previous owner of my Topaz, had a wooden T shaped piece of ply board made which sits on the front seat runners and pushes up against the handbrake, then had a foam block made to sit on top of this level with the seats, forms the infill for the double bed and lets me push my feet through the gap of the front seats when I need to stretch out in the night.
C0LL0
C0LL0

Male

Member Age : 56

Back to top Go down