The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attach J-bars for surfboard to Trident roof?

5 posters

Go down

Attach J-bars for surfboard to Trident roof? Empty Attach J-bars for surfboard to Trident roof?

Post by Chris152 Sun May 10, 2015 4:58 pm

The trident is 1998, on a T4. I contacted Autosleepers and was told there's no metal frame in the hi-top. But I have seen that people have successfully attached J-bars to the side of the hi-top for carrying surf boards. Obviously, the issue is how I might attach them safely, so wind doesn't rip the bars and board off! Any advice/ suggestions very much appreciated. Thanks, Chris.
Chris152
Chris152

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Attach J-bars for surfboard to Trident roof? Empty Re: Attach J-bars for surfboard to Trident roof?

Post by daisy mae Sun May 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi,

Have you tried the VW T4 owners forum, there are a lot of surfers on there and threads for this particular problem.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Attach J-bars for surfboard to Trident roof? Empty Re: Attach J-bars for surfboard to Trident roof?

Post by Chris152 Sun May 10, 2015 6:55 pm

Thanks Daisy Mae. I've looked at it, but the issue's really about how to attach to a Trident roof, and most don't have Tridents... I'been thinking maybe I need to get a T5 with regular roof, but would prefer not to!
Chris152
Chris152

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by finbar Tue May 12, 2015 9:12 am

I've removed the interior panelling in the roof section in the past and I would say no.
There aren't any struts or strengthen ribs on inside of the roof. Even with some sort of internal bracing the flexing of the roof sides would create leaking problems with the upper windows.
The roof bar on top are purely decorative, I wouldn't like to put much of a load on them.
Sorry for the negative  post. so_sad

finbar
finbar
finbar

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by T4chris72 Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:14 pm

Did you ever find a fix for your surfboards chris152?

Thanks
Chris
T4chris72
T4chris72

Male

Member Age : 51
Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Trident
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:38 am

I think the Trident has a GRP high top roof, like my 2002 Symbol had?
I always wanted an habitation AirCon which fits on the roof but was told they could not be fitted as this type of roof is not strong enough. An AC is less than 20kg so not that heavy.
I think it could be the lateral forces when cornering can bring the roof off.

AS understand how the GRP roof is attached to the van.  If AS say no then personally I would not do it.

just realised this is an old thread, oh  censored
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down