The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto PATS immobiliser problem

4 posters

Go down

Duetto PATS immobiliser problem Empty Duetto PATS immobiliser problem

Post by modman Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:57 pm

Has anyone had trouble with their duetto regarding the immobiliser in as much as the red light keeps blinking fast and wont let the engine start or turn over?

I have had this happen twice now - this morning (which was annoying as was going to garage for welding work for MOT) I put key in ignition and the light blinked fast and turning ignition off and on a few times didnt resolve it or indeed removing key from ignition and even trying other keys (all 3 original keys).

It gives a code that I read as meaning ` no communication with pats module`. The module is just above the glove box and last time i just unplugged it and then pluged it back in again and it worked so did it this time but made no difference! It took 5 minutes of key turning to get the thing to work and then it behaved except for taking 2 turns of ignition when leaving the garage after work done (see other post on that one).

I dont know if its anything to do with the key reader or something in the engine bay side (dry joint or even pump problem), but it last did this two months ago.
Van has only done 41K so reckon its wiring issue but am hoping someone here has had the same fault and has an answer!
modman
modman

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Duetto PATS immobiliser problem Empty Re: Duetto PATS immobiliser problem

Post by m8form8 Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:27 am

I have a similar issue with our immobilizer, only answer I have managed to get is it is past its sell by date and is not repairable. "It can be removed and disabled" Not very helpful but that's what the local alarm installers said. confused3
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:19 pm

My recollection of the system is fading fast, but it seemed (given the number installed) to be a pretty reliable design. IIRC the thing that is most likely to fail is the pickup (effectively just a small antenna) inside the steering column surround. Last time I looked they weren't very expensive, but they are probably unobtainable now!

If you haven't already, do a good search of the UK Ford Transit forum, as it's a subject that has been covered many, many times there before.

Removal isn't as trivial as it might seem, as IIRC it is integrated with the high pressure fuel pump.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:29 pm

modman wrote:wont let the engine start or turn over?

Hang about - I've just noticed this. My memory may be wrong, but I don't think PATS is designed to prevent the engine turning over - so it sounds like you may have a problem other than a PATS one here. If the engine won't turn over it's more likely to be a battery/starter motor/ignition switch problem.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:08 pm

OP said that immobiliser light flashed rapidly.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:31 pm

inspiredron wrote:OP said that immobiliser light flashed rapidly.

Agreed, but they also said that the engine won't turn over. Which suggests to me that the problem is not ~only~ with the PATS system (because I'm pretty sure PATS cannot inhibit the starter motor).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:25 am

Not familiar with PATS but with the Cobra alarm on my old Hymer I seem to remember that the starter would not operste unless I had pressed the key fob button to disarm the immobiliser

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:12 am

On our immobilizer the starter will not turn the engine over although the dash lights all come on it just will not turn over if the immobilizer is not deactivated. Oddly it occurs only if the van is left for longish periods without use and in general that's over 2 weeks.  confused3 Fitted by Brownhills when new its no longer made and i can not find any information about it.
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by modman Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:46 pm

IHi everyone, i can confirm that the PATS definitely prevents the engine from turning over unless the LED goes solid red then out. I quite often have to turn the key twice to get it to start as it blinks the first time and goes solid then out the second. Will look at the ignition barrel component later and report my findings (if any).

Thans for all the input and interest - its a great forum and am very glad I joined!
modman
modman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modman Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:50 pm

Just a quick update to say i had the cover off by the ignition barrel and unplugged the little green connector by the key reader ring that goes around it, checked the connections and plugged it back in. it still did the first time fail second time pass thing so I unplugged the big black connector that has ignition wires in it and the connectors are a bit grubby so i plugged and unplugged it a few times 9will get some contact cleaner to do a better job), tried it again and it worked first time over and over so maybe that was it. I will soon know if it was a fluke or not but I do reckon its that end of things. with the black connector apart, the immobiliser cannot recognise a key going in even so it has some part to play.
modman
modman

Male

Back to top Go down