The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Key code problem - immobiliser issue?

4 posters

Go down

Key code problem - immobiliser issue? Empty Key code problem - immobiliser issue?

Post by ElsLoz Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:04 pm

hi all

Been reading through the (many) key code/immobiliser issues in this forum but couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

My Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper Symphony 1999 has had a few problems over the last year - back in November, the engine kept cutting out while driving in low gear, when approaching roundabouts etc. Not much fun. After some hunting around, found a garage who cleaned out a load of gunk from the propeller butterfly (?) which seemed to do the trick. However, I've been noticing that the key code light has been coming on when starting the engine. I think I have got lazy and used to this, so rather than try the key again to clear the fault, I've just accepted it and driven around (probably like the uninformed idiot I am) - the light has always gone off while driving. But today, the van started cutting out in low gears again - and the garage thinks it's the immobiliser. But I'm wondering whether the black keys that I use have sort of lost the memory of the original code (by my use of technical language, you can tell I know exactly what I am talking about!). If that is the case, is it possible to use the red master key to reset the black keys? I know the electronic and manual code for the key (by some miracle) but I don't have a manual - also not useful - but found something online about putting the red key in the ignition and moving it to position II - whatever that is -and then inserting the black key for like 30 seconds or something...and then reinserting the red key. I figure it's got to be worth a try. If anyone has any tips, that'd be awesome (in very basic non-engine tech language please) - or if anyone has an actual manual for the same model of camper and could share the information related to keys, that'd be amazing. Can't find the manual online to buy - again, if anyone knows where I can get one, please let me know.

We missed our ferry so the vibe here today is quite glum!!

Thanks
Laura
ElsLoz
ElsLoz

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Boxer
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Key code problem - immobiliser issue? Empty Re: Key code problem - immobiliser issue?

Post by Roopert Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:39 pm

Sorry to hear about the ferry :-(

TBH, I don't think there is much point in trying to re-code the keys. If they work sometimes then they are coded correctly to the vehicle - an immobiliser wouldn't be much use if it let you start the van with an invalid key some of the time!

I suspect it's more likely to be an intermittent fault with the pickup coil that is typically adjacent to the ignition switch. I don't know specifically about the location on a Boxer, but typically this is either on or right next to the ignition lock barrel, and typically hidden under the steering column shroud.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Key code problem - immobiliser issue? Empty Re: Key code problem - immobiliser issue?

Post by Suppersready Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:06 pm

As already suggested I doubt very much the keys are at fault … however if you want to be 100% sure see if there is a Timpsons shoe repair/key cutting outlet near by ( quite often in Sainsburys car parks ). They have a device they insert the key into and check for the signal.
Only help I can offer I’m afraid.

Additionally have you tried just using the red master key ?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by ElsLoz Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:24 pm

Thanks to Roopert and Suppersready for the replies......

Hmm, I will check the pick up coil issue with the garage - thank you.....
And Suppersready, I was using the Master key a while ago, then I read somewhere that I shouldn't and that it had limited use! Which I read in the forum today, but this didn't seem to be supported by another responder.....

I guess this is the deal with old vans. Rather than driving through Normandy countryside, I have been reading about van immobilisers...and watching You Tube vids about how to fix Thetford loos that don't flush! Living the dream! Key code problem - immobiliser issue? 1f600 

But thanks for your help - appreciate it.  

(also..who knew that you could get to the loo pump underneath the loo roll holder? not me! There's a project for this non-holiday week...if the van is ever returned!) Key code problem - immobiliser issue? 1f606
ElsLoz
ElsLoz

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:56 am

This is a forum for the Peugeot boxer , it may be worth joining and asking your questions on there also

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

ElsLoz likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:17 am

ElsLoz wrote:Thanks to Roopert and Suppersready for the replies......

Hmm, I will check the pick up coil issue with the garage - thank you.....
And Suppersready, I was using the Master key a while ago, then I read somewhere that I shouldn't and that it had limited use! Which I read in the forum today, but this didn't seem to be supported by another responder.....

I guess this is the deal with old vans. Rather than driving through Normandy countryside, I have been reading about van immobilisers...and watching You Tube vids about how to fix Thetford loos that don't flush! Living the dream! Key code problem - immobiliser issue? 1f600 

But thanks for your help - appreciate it.  

(also..who knew that you could get to the loo pump underneath the loo roll holder? not me! There's a project for this non-holiday week...if the van is ever returned!)

My reference to the red key was wether you have the same symptoms when using it … just another way to possibly identify if the black key is faulty or not.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:27 am

One other outside possibility: have you added any devices in the cab area such as dashcam/satnav power supplies, phone chargers or USB power adaptors? Some of these can be very noisy at radio frequencies and they can (in effect) jam the signals from other devices. It's possible that one of these could be drowning out the response from your key - especially if plugged into a 12V outlet near to the ignition switch area.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

ElsLoz likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ElsLoz Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:28 pm

Thanks Roopert. I usually have a phone charger coming out of the cigarette lighter, but that's not super close to the ignition. Otherwise, also have a solar panel attached to the leisure battery under the driver seat - would that possibly affect it do you think?

Thanks
ElsLoz
ElsLoz

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:56 pm

It could also be an issue within the ECU, remove the negative lead of the engine battery for 30 mins then reconnect .. worth a try

Last edited by Suppersready on Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

ElsLoz likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:54 pm

ElsLoz wrote:I usually have a phone charger coming out of the cigarette lighter, but that's not super close to the ignition. Otherwise, also have a solar panel attached to the leisure battery under the driver seat - would that possibly affect it do you think?

Phone charger: yes, well known to cause problems - especially if a cheap one. Might be worth removing it for a few days to see if that has any effect. Solar charge controller: unlikely - they don't seem to have a reputation for those types of problem.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

ElsLoz likes this post

Back to top Go down