The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing units for welding

3 posters

Go down

Removing units for welding  Empty Removing units for welding

Post by Valandnorm Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi, all.
Just had the bad news the the Duetto needs lots of welding for the MOT. It means removing the units - cupboards/fridge/shower etc to be able to get to it. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions on the best way to sensibly go about this?
Thanks
Val
Valandnorm
Valandnorm

Female

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Removing units for welding  Empty Re: Removing units for welding

Post by jollywalker Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi Val, 
Sorry to hear that your Duetto needs such work. Mine recently underwent some serious work that involved removal of the kitchen area, but not the shower. The guy who did the work managed it all very well, carefully removing the units once the fridge was removed. 
I did contact Autosleeper who explained that the shower unit would not be easy to remove, but rather strip the interior in front so as to slide the shower unit forward for access. They did quote about £1000 I think to strip the interior out, plus costs of storage if needed whilst I had work done, and then put interior back in. 
It may be worth contacting Autosleeper to see if they would still do that.
Best of luck with the work  up!
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Valandnorm Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks. I've searched old postings, and it seems a few people have had to do the same. We wondered if there was a different method of welding - TIG? - that could be used that may prevent the need for removal of the units.
Valandnorm
Valandnorm

Female

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:16 pm

For sheet steel repairs it's unlikely to be TIG welded. Far more likely to be MIG. That can generate less heat than other methods, but it still involves an electric arc melting the metal filler, so it's all relative!

In the main it's going to come down to what they are repairing. The last time I had major welding done on a van, most was on the wheel arches, which required nothing at all removed from inside. However the lower half of one side panel was replaced and this meant removing all furniture that butted up against it. Obviously if you are having work done on, for example, the internal floor, then that's quite difficult to do without cutting away the floor that A-S lay down on top of it.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down