The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxer 1999 handbrake

5 posters

Go down

Boxer 1999 handbrake Empty Boxer 1999 handbrake

Post by Harper22 Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:09 am

Hi folks, Sorry I havent been on for a while but sadly our girl's been stood for a few months without use. Came to try and move her today and clutch plate is stuck on, found a few sugfgestions on how to try and free it but in the meantime this morning all I managed to achieve was stretching the handbreak cable to the point where its now slack as a wind sock. Has anyone adjusted the cable on a boxer van at all?? I know where the points are on my mums ravena but i couldnt see the same setup under mine today but having said that i had just finished a 12 hour night shift and was getting rather agravated. On the ravenna a bar runs down the centre of the van then can be tightened where it splits to the two wheels, the water tanks on the harmony are more or less where the bar runs on the ravenna so not sure if its an easy fix or not. Look forward to any sugestions or help as always.

Hope everyones well :)

Neil
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Boxer 1999 handbrake Empty Re: Boxer 1999 handbrake

Post by daisy mae Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:41 pm

Welcome back Neil, sorry cannot help with your problem sure someone will be along soon that can.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:55 am

Sorry I can't help either Neil. I think the different set up is the difference between a van and a chassis conversion. I've seen the rod configuration on other chassis. Must say I don't understand the link between a stuck clutch plate and the brake cables.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:11 pm

Hi paul, I need to adjust the handbrake cable because when the van been lurching forward trying to engage gear or free the plates it's stretched the cable as she was parked on a hill with a 20k caravan 2ft behind her and couldn't risk her rolling backwards :-( brake now barely holds on highest setting
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Don't know whether they are legal anymore or even available but you used to be able to buy cable shorteners the same as these (these are from Australia) which could be a temporary solution

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:44 pm

Handbrake cable shorteners are illegal in the UK and have been for a long time. A few years ago I tried to use one as a short term measure for the MOT and it failed due to the stretched cable and the shortener. I would also strongly suggest that a stretched cable should be replaced. Regarding stuck clutch plates, (I get this on my kit car) from memory I am fairly certain I use the foot brake not the handbrake. You really need to move the Harmony so you have plenty of room for it to move forward a few metres while you unstick the clutch.

Best regards

Mikebro
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:51 pm

Can't help with the handbrake but to avoid sticky brakes when parked, I leave the handbrake off and let the Harmony back wheels settle into the tarmac dimples our flat drive. As it's parked parallel to the garage door, there's a wall behind it and the car port in front so it's not going anywhere !
I used to leave it in gear but the clutch pressure plate would jam so now leave it neutral.

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down