The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Warwick XL

+5
Barnman
IanSimmo
Jools
Angel6855
HowieT
9 posters

Go down

New Warwick XL  Empty New Warwick XL

Post by HowieT Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Hello All,

I've ordered a new Warwick XL to replace our Sussex Duo and have a few practical questions to ask existing owners regarding additional equipment options

1. We currently have a tiny Avtex TV in our Duo and are looking forward to going 'widescreen'  - what size works best in the XL? I forgot to measure the width of the wardrobe mounting areaw when I was at the show, so not sure if a 21.5" will work? 

I was planning on using a extending mounting arm so my wife can watch whilst in the kitchen - this would also aid  access to the DVD if space was tight with the wider model.

Is this too ambitious or should I stick to the smaller 187DRS (18.5") version?

2. Ideally I'd also like a solar panel and a 65cm automatic roof mounted satellite dish. 

The roof is quite crowded - has anyone tried this combination and is there sufficient space for both?

I don't plan to install roof air conditioning initially, however I'd like to leave the option open in case we feel it's necessary later on. 

With reduced European TV reception, I don't want to use a 40cm dome as they are IMO a bit of an ugly lump on a van conversion. I think a low profile dish would give good coverage and be less obtrusive.

Is it too much to hope for? Satellite dish, solar panel and air con?

3. I tow a trailer on occasions and would prefer a dual lens camera to get a better long distance rear view. The manufacturer of the mirror mounted monitor (Veba) say that a second video input is possible with the standard system. Has anyone done this modification?

4. Finally, I'd like to have access to the under bed storage area from the outside via the rear doors for longer items - levelling blocks etc. I've read that the end panel is removable - is that right? 

The supplying dealer has offered to cut a door into the end panel (at a cost). Is this necessary or am I paying for something I'd have already?

Many thanks for any feedback this will simplify the learning curve allthumbz
HowieT
HowieT

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL 2.3 180 C
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

New Warwick XL  Empty Re: New Warwick XL

Post by Angel6855 Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:38 pm

We have a 16" Avtex in our Warwick XL and are very happy with it. ( we used to have a 10" in our old van so have seen a big difference.) I would imagine an 18.5" will be more than adequate. However, I think you are right about needing an extending arm for the 21.5" model because of the lack of width for easy access to the DVD slot.
Angel6855
Angel6855
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:46 pm

We had a solar panel fitted there was just room but it had to go on ali angle as there was no room for the proper brackets. I unscrewed the end panel and fitted it on strip magnets to the bed frame, no need to cut a hole and it can be screwed back if you ever sell.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jools Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:07 pm

We have opted for the 18.5" Avtex

Our Warwick XL should be arriving next week - when do you get yours?

I'll take some pictures of it installed.

Hope your having fun getting ready for it to arrive  - we have!

Jools
Jools
Jools

Male

Member Age : 53
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

New Warwick XL  Empty IanSimmo

Post by IanSimmo Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:57 pm

Flaggy wrote:We had a solar panel fitted there was just room but it had to go on ali angle as there was no room for the proper brackets. I unscrewed the end panel and fitted it on strip magnets to the bed frame, no need to cut a hole and it can be screwed back if you ever sell.
Hi just read about your solar panel can you tell me what size it was as we have ordered a new Warwick XL and must have a solar panel if poss can you post a photo.

Last edited by IanSimmo on Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct the name)
IanSimmo
IanSimmo

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : None Buying
Vehicle Year : Warwick

Back to top Go down

Post by Jools Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:29 pm

We picked up our Warwick XL on Friday - all factory fitted with an 80w Solar Panel. It is installed across the back behind the rear skylight. I will have to try and find a suitable spot where I can get a picture of the roof and post it here.
Its all connected through the Sargent - and so the control above the door shows you the current the panel is making - and how much is being put into the battery. It will also automatically monitor with the vehicle and the domestic battery, and charge both depending on requirements.

This weekend we had mains power - we will also be trying sites without, and will let you all know how it goes.

We don't have any power to where the van is normally parked - so I am hoping the solar will keep her ready for action!

Jools
Jools
Jools

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanSimmo Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:10 am

Hi Jools
Many thanks for that information most appreciated. We have a 80w panel on our currant van with two 110AH batteries and I have never used the charger, and we use our van all year round.

Another question can any one tell me how warm the van is in very cold weather.
IanSimmo
IanSimmo

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : None Buying
Vehicle Year : Warwick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:22 pm

IanSimmo wrote:
Flaggy wrote:We had a solar panel fitted there was just room but it had to go on ali angle as there was no room for the proper brackets. I unscrewed the end panel and fitted it on strip magnets to the bed frame, no need to cut a hole and it can be screwed back if you ever sell.
Hi just read about your solar panel can you tell me what size it was as we have ordered a new Warwick XL and must have a solar panel if poss can you post a photo.
Hi, cant seem to put photo on , dont know why. i,l keep trying.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:26 pm

IanSimmo wrote:Hi Jools
Many thanks for that information most appreciated. We have a 80w panel on our currant van with two 110AH batteries and I have never used the charger, and we use our van all year round.

Another question can any one tell me how warm the van is in very cold weather.
Hi, its very warm we,ve used it over the winter .The heating is very good. Ours is a 80w panel and it does,nt keep the batteries topped up in the winter, have to plug it in now and then.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jools Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:46 pm

The van was very cosy over the weekend

We had the temp set to 17c during the evening, and turned it down to 14c overnight.

Outside it was about 8c

According to the book, the van will stay warm down to -15c

We were using hook up over the weekend, but I understand using gas will heat up even quicker
Jools
Jools

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Barnman Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:36 am

We have had ours for a year now. Overall we like it, very comfortable. We've done 8500 miles, its been to S of france and to Spain. Good to drive, nice shower and Kitchen and great lounge. But there are some drawbacks. Bedding locker access is quite hard - the tops only raise to 45 degrees (why not 90???) and there is no rear access.
Biggest criticism is that despite having the premium and winter packs it is not really winterised. Yes it is lovely and warm inside the van but the tanks are underslung, they are not insulated and the tank heaters cannot be used overnight without a mains connection because they flatten the battery. Solar panel is not much good when its dark at 5pm! Pretty useless when travelling through france when its -5 outside!
Barnman
Barnman

Male

Member Age : 77
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:30 am

Jools wrote:We picked up our Warwick XL on Friday - all factory fitted with an 80w Solar Panel. It is installed across the back behind the rear skylight. I will have to try and find a suitable spot where I can get a picture of the roof and post it here.
Its all connected through the Sargent - and so the control above the door shows you the current the panel is making - and how much is being put into the battery. It will also automatically monitor with the vehicle and the domestic battery, and charge both depending on requirements.

This weekend we had mains power - we will also be trying sites without, and will let you all know how it goes.

We don't have any power to where the van is normally parked - so I am hoping the solar will keep her ready for action!

Jools

Morning I am thinking of a Warwick Duo or XL but I will have to store it at a CASSOA site which is not under cover, but there is no electrical supply available. My main worry is the Engine battery remaining charged as I can only take the van for a run every 3 to 4 weeks.
So does your solar panel keep the engine battery charged?. I would have a solar panel fitted at Autosleepers from new.
Maany thanks Mike
mike
mike
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Windsor on Mk7

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:35 pm

mike wrote:
Morning I am thinking of a Warwick Duo or XL but I will have to store it at a CASSOA site which is not under cover, but there is no electrical supply available. My main worry is the Engine battery remaining charged as I can only take the van for a run every 3 to 4 weeks.
So does your solar panel keep the engine battery charged?. I would have a solar panel fitted at Autosleepers from new.
Maany thanks Mike

It depends on what power control system A-S are fitting at the time that yours gets built.

However, judging by what's been produced recently it will ~probably~ use one of the latest generation of Sargent units, and these have a built-in dual-channel solar controller that distributes the power available from the panel between both batteries - so if that's true of yours you should be Ok.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:54 pm

Mojo, thank you for your quick reply, it has set my mind to rest, I now know the question for the dealer to confirm regards the sergeant power supply on build.
kind regards Mike
mike
mike
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Windsor on Mk7

Back to top Go down

New Warwick XL  Empty Auto Sat dish

Post by greycaster Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:39 pm

I'm also having a factory fitted 80W solar panel, and like yourself was wondering if there is enough room on the roof for a self seeking Sat dish (not the dome type.) I was told by my dealer that there is very limited real estate on the roof of the Warwick XL and he did not think a sat dish could be installed. I have asked AS if they do a factory fitted option, no reply so far.
greycaster
greycaster

Male

Member Age : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by roger7webster Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:25 pm

I have an Oyster Caro Vision II 50cm flat dish fitted to the rear off side. Good reception with free sat and all uk channels on a line Bordeaux to Albi. Sky channel reception ok Med and Pyrenees and I guess much of Spain. This is about the same reception standard I received with a 65cm maxi crank up dish last year.
I have fitted a second camera to my mirror mounted rear screen, there is a socket for this probably under the drivers side step. I also rewired the camera direct from the vehicle battery with an illuminated switch. This cured the intermittent supply problem from the E50 unit
roger7webster

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2012 Sussex EB panel
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down