The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving with fridge on gas

+7
rogerblack
Peter Brown
boxerman
Paulmold
Gromit
bikeralw
Nickji
11 posters

Go down

Driving with fridge on gas Empty Driving with fridge on gas

Post by Nickji Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:12 pm

Is there any reason to switch from gas to 12 volt while driving short distances?  Seems ok to me but I’m new to the autosleeper world. Any thoughts?”
Nickji
Nickji

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Driving with fridge on gas Empty Re: Driving with fridge on gas

Post by bikeralw Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Several reasons really.
Driving any distance with appliances running on gas is a fire risk if you're involved in an accident. You're really supposed to turn the gas off at the bottle (or tank if fitted), but in practice most folk just turn the valves off inside the van unless you're boarding a ferry. Secondly you're effectively running the fridge for free when on 12 volts, I know you don't get something for nothing, but running on gas will be more expensive than a slight reduction in MPG. Lastly, I would've thought that the draught produced when driving at any speed will most likely extinguish the gas flame.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:15 pm

And last of all, very few vans will allow the fridge to work on gas when you are driving - and for a further 20 minutes after you stop. (The 20 minutes is to ensure you don't pull into a filling station with a naked flame near the petrol vapours!!  rolleyes)

I have to ask why you would bother about the fridge when driving only short distances. It takes literally hours for it to defrost to any extent, and 4 hour trips across the Channel present no problem . . . again with the gas turned off so the boat doesn't go up in flames if there's a petrol spillage on the vehicle deck!!!!

Don't get paranoid about it but gas takes no prisoners, so it's well worth becoming familiar with best safe practices before something nasty happens!  content up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:59 pm

Gromit wrote:And last of all, very few vans will allow the fridge to work on gas when you are driving - and for a further 20 minutes after you stop. (The 20 minutes is to ensure you don't pull into a filling station with a naked flame near the petrol vapours!!  rolleyes)

Nickyji has a 1998 Duetto, so don't think there is anything to stop it running on gas whilst travelling except common sense. Pipes can fracture in an accident with horrific consequences. There certainly won't be the safety features you mention Dave.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:30 pm

There are lots of reasons why you should not do this, but I've done it inadvertently several times. Same with the water heater.
I'm willing to bet that most folk have if they will admit it snigger

Wouldn't do it deliberately though.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Most vans will let you run the fridge on gas while driving but the flame is open to the atmosphere so will ignite petrol vapour. Current vans will cut off the gas in an accident. For older vans turn off the gas bottles. Those in between.......

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Paulmold wrote:Nickyji has a 1998 Duetto, so don't think there is anything to stop it running on gas whilst travelling except common sense. Pipes can fracture in an accident with horrific consequences. There certainly won't be the safety features you mention Dave.
Ah yes - should have noticed that. Thanks Paul.

As Frank said, it does happen but best avoided if possible. I make a habit of switching our gas off before every journey (and I usually remember!  Whistle1) because we have the automatic Thetford fridge. Having wasted half a tank of gas when we first had the van (when the fridge switched itself to gas when we got home) I have an incentive!  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Nickji Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks everyone for the good advice. My fridge isn’t working on 12 volt but given the risks I’ll turn the gas off when driving.
Nickji
Nickji

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Nickji wrote:Thanks everyone for the good advice. My fridge isn’t working on 12 volt but given the risks I’ll turn the gas off when driving.
Forgive me if I'm teaching egg-sucking but you mentioned you are new:

You said the Fridge isn't working on 12V - are you aware that the fridge will only work on 12V from the alternator whilst the engine is running, not from 12V leisure battery when stopped?

If it's not working when driving, assuming it's turned on at the fridge, usually a red switch, then the possible causes are the relay which controls the voltage from the alternator, or a fuse in that line.  Are you able to check those?

cheers
Roger
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Driving with fridge on gas Empty Warwick xl

Post by Guest Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:56 am

Slightly of topic but we have only just found out that when you turn the gas off at the tank underneath on our Warwick XL it takes five minutes to burn off the gas remaining in the pipes. That's a lot of gas still in the van, ferries, accidents etc. Thought this might be of interest. Steve.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:51 am

Flaggy wrote:Slightly of topic but we have only just found out that when you turn the gas off at the tank underneath on our Warwick XL it takes five minutes to burn off the gas remaining in the pipes. That's a lot of gas still in the van, ferries, accidents etc. Thought this might be of interest. Steve.
What appliance are you burning the gas off with? If I forget to open the main valve and turn on a gas ring it goes out in a few seconds. It must be different for each model of van I guess, differing lengths of piping, tank or bottle etc.
As far as I know there's no requirement to purge pipes before boarding a ferry. After all, the safety fuel cut off valves on vehicles still leaves fuel in the filters and injector pipes.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Flaggy wrote:Slightly of topic but we have only just found out that when you turn the gas off at the tank underneath on our Warwick XL

Do you mean the 3 red taps under the sink or have you found a valve on the actual tank?  confused3
Sounds like it may be the latter in which case well done, I couldn't find it.  up!
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Nickji Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm

I’m rogerblack wrote:
Nickji wrote:Thanks everyone for the good advice. 

If it's not working when driving, assuming it's turned on at the fridge, usually a red switch, then the possible causes are the relay which controls the voltage from the alternator, or a fuse in that line.  Are you able to check those?

cheers
Roger
When I plugged I an external electric supply the green switch lit up but 11 hours later there was no cooling, and while driving with the red 12 v switch on the fridge got warmer so neither are working. No idea what to do other than checking fuses which are all fine.
Nickji
Nickji

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:59 pm

AutoSleepyDon wrote:
Flaggy wrote:Slightly of topic but we have only just found out that when you turn the gas off at the tank underneath on our Warwick XL

Do you mean the 3 red taps under the sink or have you found a valve on the actual tank?  confused3
Sounds like it may be the latter in which case well done, I couldn't find it.  up!
You have to crawl underneath remove the cover from the tank, black knob, and the valve is under the cover. there is also a small yellow tap on the regulator.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Flaggy wrote:
AutoSleepyDon wrote:

You have to crawl underneath remove the cover from the tank, black knob, and the valve is under the cover. there is also a small yellow tap on the regulator.
While you may have the yellow tap the newer vans have a different regulator which doesn't have that tap.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:12 pm

boxerman wrote:There are lots of reasons why you should not do this, but I've done it inadvertently several times. Same with the water heater.
I'm willing to bet that most folk have if they will admit it  snigger

Wouldn't do it deliberately though.

Frank
I'll come clean, It's a fair cop 'guv biggrin I do it all the time, only to stop up the road to switch over. I have had a 'van with a AES fridge and think in theory  they are a good idea, trouble is they are so much trouble and are forever going wrong I'll  stick with a manual fridge.
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:39 pm

I must admit i've never driven my van with the gas left on. Not sure why anyone would to be honest?!  scratch head

I even switch mine off during a ferry crossing as it's only a couple of hours and when i'm a few decks up from my van, i'd sooner everything is isolated to lessen any risks.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down