The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Side window fly screens and blinds.

+5
daisy mae
Paul 300358
artheytrate
Paulmold
GARY MITCHELL
9 posters

Go down

Side window fly screens and blinds. Empty Side window fly screens and blinds.

Post by GARY MITCHELL Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:30 am

I have a 1999 Autosleeper Symbol which is perfect for my wife and myself. My only gripes are the rattles and chirps from the side window screens. On a roughish road surface they are like a bush full of sparrows. It makes no difference whether they are up or down. Does anyone have a remedy to quiet them down a bit?
GARY MITCHELL
GARY MITCHELL

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Side window fly screens and blinds. Empty Re: Side window fly screens and blinds.

Post by Paulmold Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:19 pm

Common problem. No real cure, some say use small wedges between the blinds and the frame but it's the internal springs that do the rattling.  As this is your first post perhaps you could take a moment to introduce yourself here...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Side window fly screens and blinds. Empty Re: Side window fly screens and blinds.

Post by GARY MITCHELL Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Many thanks for your kind response but it doesn't surprise me that there is no cure. You ask me to introduce myself so here goes. I live in Portmellon by Mevagissey Cornwall and at 71 I live in the house I was born in. Not many can say that. We have owned a couple of old VW's but we decided that we must have a proper on board toilet hence the Symbol which we have had for just over 12 months. It is perfect for Cornish roads as it will go where a saloon car will go. Although it is a 1999 model it has only done 61000 miles so years of use still in it. We use it every week for days out and picnics and shopping. We have the usual plans to travel everywhere we can so with good health here goes.
Best regards to all
Gary Mitchell
GARY MITCHELL
GARY MITCHELL

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:56 pm

Welcome Garry from a very damp Stoke on Trent.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:45 pm

Welcome Garry. We found the same problem so we now have some folded cardboard wedges which sit between the bottom blind and the frame, I then gently clip the small handles (thumb sized things) on the top blinds (or fly screens) behind the top of the frame. I unclip everything as soon as we stop. Also wrap the grill tray in tea towels.

Paul
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by GARY MITCHELL Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:04 pm

Many thanks Paul, I'll give it a go.
Gary
GARY MITCHELL
GARY MITCHELL

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:06 pm

Hello and :asof_welcome2:from Leicestershire.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi
I stuck a piece of foam draft excluder to the fly screen and that stopped it rattling against the framework.
Welcome to  the forum.
Louise
Doris
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Post by GARY MITCHELL Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and advice. You seem a friendly lot! I think I will stuff the blinds with a duvet!

Cheers
Gary
GARY MITCHELL
GARY MITCHELL

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AS Rambler Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:36 pm

The blind on the o/side behind the drivers seat of our Boxer Rambler used to drive me nuts! Untill I put some foam pads inside the runners so the metal bar on the fly screen rested on them when it was rolled up . Its now bliss no matter how bumpy the road is. Good luck with you blinds
AS Rambler
AS Rambler

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rambler

Back to top Go down

Post by GARY MITCHELL Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Many thanks for that one. It sounds worth a try.
Gary
GARY MITCHELL
GARY MITCHELL

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nain Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Hello and welcome! We also have a 1999 Symbol and can sympathise regarding the rattles!  The one on the sliding door made so much noise that my husband decided to remove it.  Whilst doing so he noticed that the top screws were not biting into anything.  The screw holes had become enlarged and would not hold the top of the cassette blind in place.  Purists would probably shake their heads but a dab of 'locktight' seems to be holding things in place. Still rattles, but not quite as much as it used to.
Nain
Nain
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex AS Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:06 pm

Our Trident had rattly blinds.. I got some of that narrow self adhesive draft strip that you put around door frames and stuck this carefully inside the length of the metal frame.. it wasn't even visible, but best of all it was a 95% improvement in road noise.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down