The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help for a new Autosleeper Trooper owner

+3
-mojo-
PLOUGHLIN
drstevok
7 posters

Go down

Help for a new Autosleeper Trooper owner Empty Help for a new Autosleeper Trooper owner

Post by drstevok Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Hello

We have just bought a 12 year old VW Auto-sleeper Trooper, and spent the weekend washing and cleaning, and trying to find out what works and what doesn't. 

I have 2 questions for anyone (probably almost everyone) who has more expertise than me.

(1). I had thought the water pump might be broken when we bought it but got it working today. However, I think it is 'cycling' too rapidly. 

The water comes out in short sharp stutters more which seem to be quicker than the 2 seconds recommended in the instructions. The document then tells me I should turn the 'screw' clockwise to try and correct this. I think I have identified the (2/L) screw on Figure 2 of the schematic, but I can't actually find the pump to make the adjustment. Where does Auto-sleeper install the SHURflo pump in a van like ours? 

Could I also get the same symptom if the tank wasn't adequately full?

(2). How do I know the fridge is running when using the 12V battery supply (with the engine on)?

It's an electrolux model RM4201 or RM4211 I think.

- I can see the flame so I know the gas works.
- I haven't been able to try a mains electricity hook-up yet
- I can't see a light behind/in the switch for the fridge when I try and use the battery. Does that mean anything? All the other electrics in the vehicle seem to work, and since the fridge is completely silent then I don't have any other indication that it is working.

Many thanks, and Happy New Year!

Steve
drstevok
drstevok

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper Model : None

Back to top Go down

Help for a new Autosleeper Trooper owner Empty Re: Help for a new Autosleeper Trooper owner

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:31 pm

Do you have the manual? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I don't know the fridge.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Help for a new Autosleeper Trooper owner Empty Re: Help for a new Autosleeper Trooper owner

Post by drstevok Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:34 pm

Thanks. I do. It suggests the light behind the switch should come on, but I can't work out if there is a problem if it is with the light in the switch or the fridge.

S
drstevok
drstevok

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:15 am

The behaviour of the water sounds more like air in the system than any need to adjust the pump. When it is completely free of air (and this can be quite a rigmarole to achieve on some van conversions) the pump will typically run every few seconds, but there will only be a slight increase in flow as it does so - it won't/shouldn't be spluttering.

I would not recommend changing the pump adjustment until you are getting a clear continuous flow of water with no air.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by finbar Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:51 am

The water pump is situated behind the rear panel of the Porta loo cupboard. You have to remove four self tapping screws and ease the panel forward.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
However before adjusting the pump I would recommend that the water tank is filled up as the intake pipe really needs to be submerged or you will get the spluttering at the tap. Our tap needs to run for a while to get the air out if the tank has been emptied.
The 12 volt switch on our fridge doesn't have a light in it. There is a light on the Zig unit to show the 12 volt fridge operation.

finbar
finbar
finbar

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by drstevok Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:17 pm

@mojo and @finbar.
Very helpful indeed. Thank you. I'll try that, and thanks for the directions on finding the pump. 

@finbar
We don't have the Zig panel you show. I'll try and take a picture of the switch, because I think ours should have a light behind it (it's one of those translucent types)

S
drstevok
drstevok

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi wave

My fridge has a light in the switch.
drstevok wrote: How do I know the fridge is running when using the 12V battery supply (with the engine on)?
Why not just see if the fridge gets cold on 12V  scratch head (it could just be the bulb in the switch).
drstevok wrote:Thanks. I do. It suggests the light behind the switch should come on, but I can't work out if there is a problem if it is with the light in the switch or the fridge.
If it’s definitely not working there is a relay and a fuse somewhere. Mine is under the bonnet but I don’t know where it is on the Trouper.

If it’s not obvious I’m sure there will be another Trouper owner on the forum that will know.

Brod.

P.S. This thread may help. It may not be exactly the same fridge (or van) but the wiring tends to be the same across models.

Last edited by brodco on Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added P.S.)
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by matty34 Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:10 pm

the 12volt switch should be light red when the engine is on.
matty34
matty34

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Help for a new Autosleeper Trooper owner Empty water spluttering etc

Post by Denking Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:09 am

drstevok wrote:Hello
most likely an air lock? smile!

We have just bought a 12 year old VW Auto-sleeper Trooper, and spent the weekend washing and cleaning, and trying to find out what works and what doesn't. 

I have 2 questions for anyone (probably almost everyone) who has more expertise than me.

(1). I had thought the water pump might be broken when we bought it but got it working today. However, I think it is 'cycling' too rapidly. 

The water comes out in short sharp stutters more which seem to be quicker than the 2 seconds recommended in the instructions. The document then tells me I should turn the 'screw' clockwise to try and correct this. I think I have identified the (2/L) screw on Figure 2 of the schematic, but I can't actually find the pump to make the adjustment. Where does Auto-sleeper install the SHURflo pump in a van like ours? 

Could I also get the same symptom if the tank wasn't adequately full?

(2). How do I know the fridge is running when using the 12V battery supply (with the engine on)?

It's an electrolux model RM4201 or RM4211 I think.

- I can see the flame so I know the gas works.
- I haven't been able to try a mains electricity hook-up yet
- I can't see a light behind/in the switch for the fridge when I try and use the battery. Does that mean anything? All the other electrics in the vehicle seem to work, and since the fridge is completely silent then I don't have any other indication that it is working.

Many thanks, and Happy New Year!

Steve
Denking
Denking

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Autosleeper Topa
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down