The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

peugeot boxer wiper relay/wiper issues

+4
RichardB
boxerman
-mojo-
Harper22
8 posters

Go down

peugeot boxer wiper relay/wiper issues Empty peugeot boxer wiper relay/wiper issues

Post by Harper22 Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:08 pm

Afternoon all, having passed her MOT this year on the way back my girl developed a very strange fault, in the OFF position the wipers are making a du du du du du du du noise, in the 1st on position its the same and in the two fastest positions they move but a lot slower than they should. searched on-line for possible causes and one seems to be the relay? now i know where they are but I wondered if anyone knows which one it is?? I have 3 in a horizontal row and then 4 in a block to the right of them. I have tried removing each one and turning ignition on but its still doing the same thing so I'm really confused as i would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that if there is no relay there should be no power?? I would rather try a new relay than trying a new motor as there's obviously a major cost difference :-S, have also tried a bit of wd40 on all the joints on linkage just in case that was slowing it down. 

any help or advice appreciated as always   allthumbz

Neil
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

peugeot boxer wiper relay/wiper issues Empty Re: peugeot boxer wiper relay/wiper issues

Post by -mojo- Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:37 pm

The first thing I would suspect is the self-parking mechanism, because this should be receiving power irrespective of the switch position. Unfortunately I don't know how self-parking works on a Peugeot, but knowing them it's probably not how everyone else does it (with a switch on the motor body). Hopefully a Boxer expert will be along soon...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

peugeot boxer wiper relay/wiper issues Empty Re: peugeot boxer wiper relay/wiper issues

Post by Harper22 Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:45 pm

its certainly plausible as they not going into correct "park" position, in all fairness the selector stalk has always been a little iffy switching between speeds and intermittent never seemed to select but they always switched off and parked themselves. did try to remove stalk to see if anything causing a short that would keep power to it but haven't got the right sized socket to get steering wheel off anyways :-(
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:42 pm

I'd suspect the motor brushes and parking mechanism scratch head

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:53 pm

I can guarantee the bushes are but is the parking mechanism actually inside the wiper motor frank? i found a new one on ebay for bout 35 quid but figured as relays cheaper i would try that first but knowing which one to change is the * Inappropriate Word * lol
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:54 pm

omg really? b**g*r is an inappropriate word?? well whats the world coming to  hugegrins
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:15 pm

Harper22 wrote:I can guarantee the bushes
Brushes not bushes smile!
are but is the parking mechanism actually inside the wiper motor frank? i found a new one on ebay for bout 35 quid but figured as relays cheaper i would try that first but knowing which one to change is the * Inappropriate Word * lol
Never taken a Boxer one to bits but it's usual to have the parking switch inside the motor.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:19 pm

sorry yes brushes (clearly got autumn garden tidy on me mind) tempted to have a go at dismantling the housing see whats what, only thing putting me off is i know someone on here broke the screws trying to get the scuttle out to replace the motor and drive arms and had to re drill etc, seems a faff if i can avoid that
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RichardB Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:27 pm

Harper22 wrote:i know someone on here broke the screws trying to get the scuttle out 

When I fixed my skuttle drain I broke 4 of the 7 screws trying to get them out - had rusted solid and Wd40 didn't help.
Ended up ordering a new set of screws online and drilling them out too - what a pain to do

Richard
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Not at the moment...
Vehicle Year : n/a

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:30 pm

RichardB wrote:
Harper22 wrote:i know someone on here broke the screws trying to get the scuttle out 

When I fixed my skuttle drain I broke 4 of the 7 screws trying to get them out - had rusted solid and Wd40 didn't help.
Ended up ordering a new set of screws online and drilling them out too - what a pain to do

Richard
it may of been your post I saw Richard
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:00 am

I took my scuttle off a couple of weeks ago with no problems. Well only one really.......I couldn't get the Allen key in a couple of the heads of the bolts until the rust had been scraped away.
Used 'copperslip' on the threads when refitting.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by judy t Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:11 am

morning all, I have a 1998 Talisman, and the ist wiper speed (intermittent does not work) .Is this the relay playing up and if so where is it to be found ,Thank you Lew Barlow Wolverhampton.
judy t
judy t

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : wolverhampton
Vehicle Year : peugeot

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:46 pm

I had this problem last year (boxer symphony 2.5D) . No intermittent wipers, no self park and no fast speed. I took the motor out , stripped it and cleaned the contacts.
I got it working fine for a few weeks then the intermittent wipers failed again so i bought a new one from eBay.
I managed to change mine without removing the scuttle cover, a bit awkward but can be done. Might be different for other models/ engines.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

peugeot boxer wiper relay/wiper issues Empty Wiper motor and park

Post by SpacemanPaul Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:51 pm

Hi - scuttle doesn't need to come off to get to the motor housing - which houses the intermittent switch. It can be reached from underneath the centre of the scuttle - cover is held on by 4 plastic clips. Tricky - and mine is now held on with three having snapped one off (still works). The rotary mechanism that forms the intermittent switch on/off does get caked in the grease in the housing which was causing me problems. Cleaning this up fixed the wipers.
Like others - when I removed the scuttle to fix the engine bay leak, sheared all but three of the bolts. Drilled these out and tapped for new bolts. Slow and difficult to get straight, but worked with patience. If you need to drill out such hard metal I can recommend the bits from Screwfix - Erbauer HSS trade pack - 150 various size for about £20. Just slowly with light pressure.
SpacemanPaul
SpacemanPaul

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down