The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12V fuse on on 12V socket circuit.

5 posters

Go down

12V fuse on on 12V socket circuit. Empty 12V fuse on on 12V socket circuit.

Post by safariboy Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:52 pm

I have a current Broadway.  When I plug in a charger unit (for example for a kindle or a tablet) the 10A fuse in the power socket circuits sometimes blows.  The chargers have been used on other motorhomes in the past with no problems and  they are not particularly low cost.  The maximum current rating of the chargers is 2.3A.
The TV has never done this. We have had the same problem with more than one charger.
If you turn off the electrics, plug in and then turn the electrics back on the fuse does not blow.
I assume that this is a starting surge?
Has anyone else had this problem?
Are there such things as slow blow spade fuses?  Are any other solutions possible.
safariboy
safariboy

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

12V fuse on on 12V socket circuit. Empty Re: 12V fuse on on 12V socket circuit.

Post by -mojo- Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:57 pm

I guess it's possible that it's an initial surge, but I doubt it - any charger that takes an inrush current exceeding 10A probably won't last too long before it blows itself up.

It's more likely to be an incompatibility between the socket and plug. 12V car lighter sockets are the worst specified that you can get (AFAIK there simply is no standard for them) and so it's easy to find combinations that either won't work or which cause a live to ground short when plugged in.

In your position I'd try a different make/model of charger and see if that helps - unbranded ones are incredibly cheap on Ebay if you are prepared to wait a short while - a spare power adapter for my Hudl cost less than £2 and took only a few days to arrive.

Last edited by -mojo- on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:36 am

I had the same thing happen. It is due to the plug on your charger.
Some 12v sockets are configured to work with cigar lighters and some are not. If you look carefully at the two sockets on the dash of an X250 Boxer you will see that the internal contacts are different. On the one with the cigar lighter the centrsl button is connected to a couple of strips that come a short way up the sides to contact the side of the end of the cigar lighter. On the "power" socket there are no strips attzched to the central contact. Some far east chargers have the side contacts well down the plug and near the central button. If one of these chargers is plugged into the cigar lighter socket then the side contacts on the plug can bridge BOTH cigar lighter contacts and blow the fuse. The 12v habitation sockets fitted by A/S are similar to the dashboard cigar lighter socket so are prone to fuse popping unless the plug is inserted very carefully and the right way round. European plugs (as opposed to Far Eastern ones) seem to have longer insulated noses so that their side contacts are furtber back and don't touch the central pip side extensions.
I hope that you can follow all that.  snigger

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by safariboy Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:50 am

Thank you for your comments. I have now had a careful look at the sockets and plugs. I am sure that you are correct. The TV plug is totally different to the others.
The basic design is very poor I agree.
safariboy
safariboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:53 pm

I also have had this problem. I can understand that plugs  are often of a poor design, but you would have thought the sockets fitted by vehicle manufactures would be of better quality.
My biggest problem is any plug that incorporates a transformer is just far too heavy for the horizontally mounted sockets, and vibrates out after a few miles. I ended up relocating two sockets to face up vertically. My sat nav and rear view camera now stay on!
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:13 pm

bikeralw wrote:I also have had this problem. I can understand that plugs  are often of a poor design, but you would have thought the sockets fitted by vehicle manufactures would be of better quality.
Vehicle socket quality is NOT the issue. It is the plugs that vary.
A cigar lighter socket MUST HAVE side contacts near the end to make contact with the element that gets red hot. Some plugs with a short nose have the side contacts too close to the nose  and those side contacts can touch both contacts of the socket simultaneously creating the short which blows the fuse.
The surprising thing is that the TV socket panels fitted by A/S incorporate a 12V socket more suited to a cigar lighter than accessory plugs.
Old Fiats and Pugs had a very small cigar lighter and my satnav plug was always falling out. I had to install a longer socket.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Ruffian Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:46 pm

I had this problem.   The solution for me was to buy a 12v extension from Go Outdoors.   From the plug the is a curly, stretchy wire leading to a cup shaped outlet containing 2 sockets and 2 USB outlets.   The 'cup' fits exactly into the dashboard 'moneybox' hole.   It cost about £15 and works well, never getting hot even when charging ipad and phones at the same time.
Billy Ruffian
Billy Ruffian
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo 2 ES

Back to top Go down

Post by safariboy Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:51 pm

Many thanks to all who have contributed.  I have now bought an extension lead that looks as if it will sort out the problem.  When I did a comparison of plugs I was surprised at the variation in distance between the earth contacts and the tip. 
I still find it surprising that our previous van never gave a fuse problem although there were some plugs that did not make a good contact.
safariboy
safariboy

Male

Back to top Go down