The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

replace Eberspacher heater on Symbol

3 posters

Go down

replace Eberspacher  heater on Symbol  Empty replace Eberspacher heater on Symbol

Post by noggin28 Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:16 pm

As anyone replaced their Eberspacher heater on Autosleeper Symbol (55 reg ) for a gas system? if not does anyone know it it is possible ?
noggin28
noggin28

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

replace Eberspacher  heater on Symbol  Empty Re: replace Eberspacher heater on Symbol

Post by -mojo- Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Almost anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.

But why? It sounds very much like a downgrade to me. Most people seem to consider a gas heater to be inferior to a diesel heater, because they are almost always a lot more expensive to run.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

replace Eberspacher  heater on Symbol  Empty Heater change

Post by ejgaking Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:28 pm

We have a Duetto with a Eberspacher heat and we are also looking at changing to a gas heater as the Eberspacher is not always reliable. There are a few replacements available, there is the Truma and also a Propex which can come in both gas and gas and electric. Our local autosleeper dealer has a workshop which has quoted us about £2000 for the whole replacement including the supply.
If you get any other information we would be pleased to hear about it
ejgaking
ejgaking
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

replace Eberspacher  heater on Symbol  Empty Re: replace Eberspacher heater on Symbol

Post by -mojo- Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:17 am

If your Eberspacher is unreliable then it should be far cheaper to just get it repaired. Spares are widely available and, although they aren't cheap, you can get a lot of spares (even expensive ones) for £2k.

I had an Eberspacher Hydronic on my last A-S and it was a fantastic bit of kit - rather noisy on start-up but even in very cold weather it would quickly get up to temperature and drop back to a more quiet running level.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ejgaking Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:45 am

Hi

Thanks for the reply, its not the unit that is the problem, it's the wiring to it. We also find the unit rather noisy on the very quiet sites we stay at. To change to a gas unit will suit us better. We will then have an almost unused Eberspacher unit to sell.
ejgaking
ejgaking
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:34 am

Agreed the Ebers can be a little too noisy on startup when you're out in the country, miles from any other noises other than birds tweeting, etc. The Webasto on my current van is much quieter.

The thing that used to annoy me about a Propex gas-powered one that I had on a previous van was that, although very quiet outside, it was pretty noisy inside the van - it had a small, very high speed fan which was irritatingly loud. And it was very expensive to run - but a large part of that was because the van had Camping Gaz rather than Calor...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down