The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto fresh water tank drain tap?

3 posters

Go down

Duetto fresh water tank drain tap? Empty Duetto fresh water tank drain tap?

Post by Bev Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Aggghhhh!! Husband managed to snap fresh water tank tap off our 54 plate Duetto. Anyone know how to remove it to replace? Thanks Bev
Bev
Bev

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/a

Back to top Go down

Duetto fresh water tank drain tap? Empty Re: Duetto fresh water tank drain tap?

Post by Dutto Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi there,

The simple answer is "Yes" and the rest can be covered with the phrase "It will probably be complicated!"

If it is the usual type of valve then it normally requires the tank to be dropped so that access can be gained to the inside of the tank.

A photograph of the offending part would help to confirm this.

Best regards,
drinksallround

PS

Intrigued as to why hubby was doing anything with the valve at this time of the year. scratch head

This is the type of situation that occurs during November when members are draining their vans down for the winter or April when they are getting them ready for the new season.

If hubby was winterising the van then look on the bright side; you weren't intending to use it in the next few weeks anyway! allthumbzallthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:26 pm

Also worth mentioning if your tank needs to be dropped to remove the old tap, the tank is secured by two straps which are held fast by long pin bolts made of steel. It's a 'maul and crawl' job underneath on your back and i didn't fancy that when i had to replace my tap....so gave the job to my MOT tester guy who has the luxury of doing the job standing up!

Good job i did too as it turned out the nuts had seized fast on both bolts. He cut them off and replaced using stainless threaded bar and nuts. So whether you do the job yourself or have it done for you, i'd strongly advise you replace the steel bolts with stainless. You may never need to remove it again.....but you never know.....and if you do, at least you know the nuts will undo!

Labour cost was just twenty quid. Well worth it as lying on your back underneath a van is not my idea of 'fun' any longer. Been there done that in my younger fitter youth!  hugegrins
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:31 pm

Thanks for speedy replies. We broke top off waste water tank tap last year and that was a doddle to remove and replace so we expected fresh water to be the same but it just won't shift.
Bev
Bev

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/a

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:17 am

Bev wrote:Thanks for speedy replies. We broke top off waste water tank tap last year and that was a doddle to remove and replace so we expected fresh water to be the same but it just won't shift.

Not necessarily. Depends on the 'set up'. My waste water tap is at the end of a short length of flexible hose held under the sill by a clip. The fresh water tap is mounted directly into the tank but is one of two methods. Some earlier Duetto's the tap was threaded in so there was no need to drop the tank to remove the tap. The other method, the tap is pushed through the wall of the tank then secured from the inside by a nylon nut. I suspect yours is the latter so you will need the tank dropping. 

Easiest way to find out....just turn the shaft of the tap anti-clockwise and keep turning. If it doesn't do anything other than go round and round.........then it's a drop tank job! Up to you whether you 'diy' or get some to do it for you. 

Tap is cheap enough and easy to source and this is the type you need; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Home-Brew-Homebrew-Beer-Cider-Barrel-Keg-Waterbutt-Water-Butt-Tap-CHOICE-/320863074632?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&var=&hash=item4ab4edf948
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down