The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto Solar Panel Installation Cable Entry

3 posters

Go down

Duetto Solar Panel Installation Cable Entry Empty Duetto Solar Panel Installation Cable Entry

Post by Cornish Prospectors Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:03 pm

I plan fitting solar panels to my recently acquired Duetto. Has anyone done this? Where can you drill a hole in the roof to drop the cable down. I am thinking in line with rear of sink but is there a clear void all the the way down?
Cornish Prospectors
Cornish Prospectors

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Duetto Solar Panel Installation Cable Entry Empty Re: Duetto Solar Panel Installation Cable Entry

Post by Guest Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:04 pm

I had the same issue with my Warwick Duo
Bought a BOROSCOPE camera, works on the laptop, 5.5mm dia and led lit. Taped it to a tig welding wire (know this sounds a faff, but real easy really) and sent the wee * Inappropriate Word * to where I thought there might be a cavity for the solar wires.
£9.99 incl p&p fleabay!!!
In the end, I removed the microwave (duo remember) and ran the wires behind that!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Duetto Solar Panel Installation Cable Entry Empty Re: Duetto Solar Panel Installation Cable Entry

Post by Cornish Prospectors Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Sounds like a really good idea. I will give it a go
Cornish Prospectors
Cornish Prospectors

Male

Back to top Go down

Duetto Solar Panel Installation Cable Entry Empty Solar panel on Duetto

Post by ALANB Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:37 pm

Cornish Prospectors wrote:I plan fitting solar panels to my recently acquired Duetto. Has anyone done this? Where can you drill a hole in the roof to drop the cable down. I am thinking in line with rear of sink but is there a clear void all the the way down?
Hi, I also have a 1999 Duetto and want to fit a solar panel.  Where did you fit yours and what panel(s) did you use?

I have measured between the two roof lights over the main living area which is 1000mm x 400mm but I cannot find a panel this narrow.  The other alternative is to relocate the TV aerial and fit the panel in the rear corner to the side of the washroom rooflight.

Where did you route the cable from the panel to the  leisure battery in the engine compartment?

Will be most grateful for any help you can give.

Best wishes Alan
ALANB
ALANB

Male

Back to top Go down

Duetto Solar Panel Installation Cable Entry Empty Solar panel on Duetto

Post by ALANB Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:38 pm

Cornish Prospectors wrote:I plan fitting solar panels to my recently acquired Duetto. Has anyone done this? Where can you drill a hole in the roof to drop the cable down. I am thinking in line with rear of sink but is there a clear void all the the way down?
Hi, I also have a 1999 Duetto and want to fit a solar panel.  Where did you fit yours and what panel(s) did you use?

I have measured between the two roof lights over the main living area which is 1000mm x 400mm but I cannot find a panel this narrow.  The other alternative is to relocate the TV aerial and fit the panel in the rear corner to the side of the washroom rooflight.

Where did you route the cable from the panel to the  leisure battery in the engine compartment?

Will be most grateful for any help you can give.

Best wishes Alan
ALANB
ALANB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:49 am

IanH is likely to be back soon to assist. He put a comprehensive post on here some some time ago on how he fitted his SP. The layout of his MH may differ to yours but it may help:
Post by IanH on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:55 pm
Autosleeper Warwick Duo Solar Installation
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You could also email AS and ask Mark Burdett for advice, he's always helpful.

MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish Prospectors Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:13 am

I used 100watt flexible solar panel. (Check with supplier that eyelets are brass mine were steel and rust!)
Remove the speaker inside and fish out the wires from behind cabinet. Drill down to cubby hole below speaker then thread under cabinets where spotlights are. 
The control init when on the back of the vehicle on the trim in the corner. Output routed down to back of fridge from outside and up to Control Panel to connect to 12v. Fuse in this cable. This will disconnect when engine is running.
Works well
Then added 2 gel batteries under / behind drivers seat. Cabled to leisure battery to through a split charge controller and current limiting resistor. (headlamp bulb in prototype). 240v Inverter screwed on end of bench seat.

Cornish Prospectors
Cornish Prospectors

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Thanks Mel
Alan
That really is a difficult size to fit, the best I can find from Photonic universe is 1085 x 285 but is only 50w and too big for your 1m dimension....
Duetto Solar Panel Installation Cable Entry 1496321987_56504100
Your best bet would be to move your aerial, what area would you then have?
If your van has roof rails, I'd use them to route the cables to the most convenient point to pass them through the roof

Realistically the bare minimum to be worthwhile is 80w, 100 is better and 150 even better!

Google Photonic universe and check out their semi flex panels, I assume you are happy to go with glued down semi flex like the Cornish chap above, and, indeed, mine!

I'll be at Harrogate show on sat 24th, if you want to discuss (mind you I'm just a bungling amateur!) but this is my 2nd solar installation. 07827303482

IanH
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Duetto Solar Panel Installation Cable Entry Empty Duetto Solar Panel

Post by ALANB Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:10 pm

Cornish Prospectors wrote:I used 100watt flexible solar panel. (Check with supplier that eyelets are brass mine were steel and rust!)
Remove the speaker inside and fish out the wires from behind cabinet. Drill down to cubby hole below speaker then thread under cabinets where spotlights are. 
The control init when on the back of the vehicle on the trim in the corner. Output routed down to back of fridge from outside and up to Control Panel to connect to 12v. Fuse in this cable. This will disconnect when engine is running.
Works well
Then added 2 gel batteries under / behind drivers seat. Cabled to leisure battery to through a split charge controller and current limiting resistor. (headlamp bulb in prototype). 240v Inverter screwed on end of bench seat.

Hi. This is great you have exactly the solar panel I need.  Where did you get it from and what is it called?  
Thank you so very much, Alan
ALANB
ALANB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish Prospectors Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Ebay hopfully a link below

You could see if they have changed the eyelets to Stainless. If not paint hem well before fitting. The rust makes a mark down the side of the van.
I might get a smaller one to go on the rear of the roof ans "Y" piece the wiring to this one.
Cornish Prospectors
Cornish Prospectors

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:30 pm

Looks a good solution Mr Cornish

I would add a thought though, no matter what the pics show, I wouldn't even think of bending it like that, I'd keep it absolutely flat until the moment before installation.

Glue I use is BOSTIK SIMSON, in conjunction with BOSTIK M primer, easier to use than sikaflex. Its used to glue boat keels on so should do for you!

Another thought is not to glue it to the roof direct, my current thinking, and indeed is done on my replacement panel is to glue it to 10mm twinwall polycarbonate sheet ( the thin version of the stuff used on conservatory roofs), then glue that to the roof.

Two reasons:-

1 If the panel fails (as mine did) you'll prob be able to cut through the vertical webs of the polycarbonate, sand that smooth, then repeat with the new panel.

2 If, in your case, you align the ducts in the polycarbonate fore/aft, then it'll get cooling air as you travel, cool air when stationary, and the bend required for the polycarbonate (you'd need 2 or 3 pieces, cut to your width dimension, will be less. This gets round one of the myths surrounding semi flex panels that they have no airgap as the agricultural metal framed one have! (Hard hat now on!)

Just a thought, your project, your call!!

IanH
Anonymous

Back to top Go down