The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strange seat problem in Duetto

+3
Paulmold
Dutto
Bulletguy
7 posters

Go down

Strange seat problem in Duetto Empty Strange seat problem in Duetto

Post by Bulletguy Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:23 pm

The single fold down rear seat in my Duetto has just developed a strange problem. It refuses to go all the way down!   scratch head

It moves about 18" forward.....and then jams on something.....but i cannot see what!

At first i noticed the bolts holding the back seat panel (which forms the bed base when fully down) were loose so thought that might be the problem. But before tightening them back up, i removed them and pulled the bracket away from the panel to see if the seat would slide down.

It's won't!
Somehow somewhere, the seat is getting stuck. Something is stopping it moving forward in the slider rail. Is there any way of removing the seat base to try and find out whats going on?  confused3
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Strange seat problem in Duetto Empty Re: Strange seat problem in Duetto

Post by Dutto Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:23 am

Hi there,

The things that have stopped our near-side seat from going up and/or down include:

o  A pair of sandals jammed upwards so that one of them was lodged into the system from inside the drawer.

o  The seat-belt catching on the mechanism underneath.

o  The front passenger seat not being far enough forward.

o  The pouch at the back of the front passenger seat being stuffed full of magazines.

o  A variety of articles placed underneath the bed when it was extended that prevented it closing.

So, take your pick!!

I would get down and have a darned good look into the space underneath the seat to make trebly sure that something like a bra or a pair of braces isn't wrapped around the metal strips that allow the seat to move.

(I've given one reason for each sex to prove that I am not "sexist"; but my money would always be on the bra!) Whistle1Whistle1

Hope this helps.allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:11 am

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

The things that have stopped our near-side seat from going up and/or down include:

o  A pair of sandals jammed upwards so that one of them was lodged into the system from inside the drawer.

o  The seat-belt catching on the mechanism underneath.

o  The front passenger seat not being far enough forward.

o  The pouch at the back of the front passenger seat being stuffed full of magazines.

o  A variety of articles placed underneath the bed when it was extended that prevented it closing.

So, take your pick!!

I would get down and have a darned good look into the space underneath the seat to make trebly sure that something like a bra or a pair of braces isn't wrapped around the metal strips that allow the seat to move.

(I've given one reason for each sex to prove that I am not "sexist"; but my money would always be on the bra!) Whistle1Whistle1

Hope this helps.allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Yes.....not only is the under cupboard space totally empty, i checked and triple checked every damn thing! I have a feeling it can only be something in the guide rail itself....but cannot see a way of actually getting at that without entirely dismantling the seat.....and i can't figure out how that's been put together at all (no visible bolts or screws).  confused3 I can only see a rear portion of the guide rail.....not whats forward of it because of the seat. 

It's looking like a phone call to A/S!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:29 am

Hi there,

A Rubik Cube is easier to figure out than some of the build secrets of an old Duetto!!! tap_fingers

My money is still on the bra though. allthumbz

You've only yourself to blame; you should never have started wearing one!! hugegrins

Best regards and good-luck with your quest!
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:35 am

We had the reverse problem on our Symphony - the seat wouldn't go back. It was a screw come loose in one of the slide rails, that's how they are fastened to the seat frame, countersunk screw heads but the slightest protrusion into the rail and the seat jams.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:53 am

Paulmold wrote:We had the reverse problem on our Symphony - the seat wouldn't go back. It was a screw come loose in one of the slide rails, that's how they are fastened to the seat frame, countersunk screw heads but the slightest protrusion into the rail and the seat jams.

I am with Paul here, check the runners for loose screws. From the original description it sounds like something in one of the runners is stopping the 'slider' part of the mechanism sliding all the way forward.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticbiker Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:19 am

We have this problem from time to time. 
There are a couple of plastic stops at the end of the runners and on ours one of them is loose and pops out of place, when putting the bed up then when pulling down it jams the runner. 
Having determined it will do no damage I now just use the sledge hammer approach and force it past.
A small amount of adhesive would cure the problem but I keep forgetting to do it.
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 52
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

Back to top Go down

Strange seat problem in Duetto Empty Duetto Seat Problems

Post by Dave 418 Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:43 pm

As some one said it wont take a lot to jam the seat. We have had the rail screws come loose in both the main bench seat and the single seat. They only need to protrude a fraction, it was only chance after  I checked every screw until the culprit was found. As said the way these old Duettos were put together is a forgotten art. The people that built them are now retired and taken the secret with them. I worked with a fitter that built up an engine putting nut lock on everything before he retired. rolleyes
It took a long time to forget him.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:33 pm

Paulmold wrote:We had the reverse problem on our Symphony - the seat wouldn't go back. It was a screw come loose in one of the slide rails, that's how they are fastened to the seat frame, countersunk screw heads but the slightest protrusion into the rail and the seat jams.
This is the route i'm attempting to take as there is absolutely nothing else left. But the frustrating part is how the hell to get at it? How do i get at something which, in my case, the seat squab and frame is covering?  confused3

In your case i imagine as the seat wouldn't go back....the seat rail with the offending screw was already exposed making it a relatively straightforward job?

I spent best part of an hour on it yesterday getting nowhere other than mentally exhausted, verging on losing my temper, so came away from it before doing any irreparable damage. I'm about to give it another go now but tbh......not looking forward to it!

I agree about the Rubik Cube analogy. As PVC's go Duetto's are highly sought after...we all know that. But there are flaws which have left me wondering "why" or "whats all that about?"  confused3 The crazy roof mounted aerial being just one, but don't get me started on that as i banged off on here before over that experience.

Seeing as my bra size is a 38HH cup....that's unlikely to have 'disappeared' under the seat!  hugegrins
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:16 pm

Well i've all but given up on this one. It's drove me nuts....or maybe i should say screwy. so angry

It does seem likely it's one of the screws you mention Paul. The rear ones of course are visible but those forward are not.....and i cannot see how the hell you get access so it's a phone call to A/S on Monday.

What possessed them to simply screw the rail other than cost, begs belief. Very poorly thought out. I have to say the same for the shoddy piece of cheap 3 ply the water pump is mounted on. The wood was held to the van frame by a couple of flimsy self tappers and mine was just wagging around ready to fall off. I've since replaced it using some decent wood and made a solid fixing using four larger stainless screws.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:53 pm

Bingo!! 

Phoned AS today about this crazy seat problem. The seat squab is fitted to the seat frame via half a dozen screws on the underside accessed by lifting the flap piece up. For some weird reason the screws are covered by caps which you have to flick off to get to the screw head! 

Sounds like a job for a contortionist so i'm waiting until i'm "in the mood"!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:09 pm

Bulletguy wrote:Bingo!! 

There you go!!  Back to the bra eh!!   lol4

Glad it's sorted though! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:32 pm

Dutto wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:Bingo!! 

There you go!!  Back to the bra eh!!   lol4

Glad it's sorted though! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Update for Dutto!!

I think A/S must have used an air gun to fasten the seat squab to the frame. The screws are absolutely rock solid and i cannot get 'em to shift at all despite several attempts. Doesn't help much having arthritic issues so i can't get much 'purchase' on a driver and the power one i have won't even touch it. Hate admitting defeat.....especially over some damn screws!! But looks like i will have to go down to A/S with it.

Crazy.

Anyway......as i thought Dutt, none of my bras were under there.  hugegrins
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi there,

Would one of these do the trick?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Or maybe one of these?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this helps save a trip at least. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:30 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
Update for Dutto!!

I think A/S must have used an air gun to fasten the seat squab to the frame. The screws are absolutely rock solid and i cannot get 'em to shift at all despite several attempts. Doesn't help much having arthritic issues so i can't get much 'purchase' on a driver and the power one i have won't even touch it.

Don't laugh, but are you sure you are turning the screws the right way? I have had the experience when working in restricted spaces and especially when working with screws 'upside-down', that it is quite easy to become disorientated and try and tighten instead of loosening.

I have though, had the Auto-Sleeper glued-screw experience in a Duetto, where the screws have gone through fabric and into timber. The glue (for sticking the fabric down) had become twisted, along with fabric, around the screw thread and boy was it a pain to undo (and put back later).
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi I have gone out and looked at my 3rd seat.
It looks that the seat will have to be removed to check the runners.
Its a pain, up side down, and a right angle attachment may be needed due to lack of space.!!
Not an easy job.
Best of luck.

Regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:14 pm

Spospe wrote:Don't laugh, but are you sure you are turning the screws the right way? I have had the experience when working in restricted spaces and especially when working with screws 'upside-down', that it is quite easy to become disorientated and try and tighten instead of loosening.

I have though, had the Auto-Sleeper glued-screw experience in a Duetto, where the screws have gone through fabric and into timber. The glue (for sticking the fabric down) had become twisted, along with fabric, around the screw thread and boy was it a pain to undo (and put back later).

Yes i know.......you have to think back to front and upside down! It's similar to when you first 'tackle' a reverse thread....the brain has to dis-engage from 'normal'!

Your comment about 'glued screw' is interesting as this is what i've wondered. If A/S have used it (which seems quite likely) then not only is the screw well and truly stuck, but i am too.....even with Duttos suggestion, because obviously i've been taking care not to damage the screw head otherwise if i knacker the head the only option left then is drilling out which i'd imagine they've used hardened or stainlesss (they appear to be) making that nigh on impossible.

Just a pity A/S didn't use industrial glue to 'set' the stupid screws holding the runners instead which would have been more useful as once fitted, they should never need to be removed.

mikethebike wrote:Hi I have gone out and looked at my 3rd seat. It looks that the seat will have to be removed to check the runners.

Its a pain, up side down, and a right angle attachment may be needed due to lack of space.!!

Not an easy job.

Best of luck.

Thanks. You've got the frustrating nature of the job off to a tee. I've got good quality drivers capable of getting in at the limited space but can't get enough 'purchase' necessary due to arthritic 'issues'.....ironically the result of years fiddling around with cars when i thought nothing of it!

The reason i'm tempted to take the van to A/S is because if they 'cock it up', it's down to them to get it sorted.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down