The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rock and roll bed: crash tested?

3 posters

Go down

Rock and roll bed: crash tested? Empty Rock and roll bed: crash tested?

Post by Peel Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Hello experts.

Please does anyone know whether rock and roll beds in 90s van conversions - specifically a 1994 Trident - were safety tested in any way?
Must admit this had never occurred to me in nearly 5 years of ownership, but while browsing aftermarket upgrades (thinking of greater comfort more than anything) I realised these seat/beds can be bought fully crash-tested (£2k plus), 'pull-tested' (£1k plus) and untested (as cheap as £250).
I'd be very interested to know where the standard kit on my Trident might fit on this scale. It's plainly not top-end, but will it have been tested in any way at all do we think?

Thank you  wave
Peel
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Rock and roll bed: crash tested? Empty Re: Rock and roll bed: crash tested?

Post by Dutto Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi there,

You are wise to be worried about the accident potential of your beds!  up! 

Statistically speaking, most people are caused by accidents and many of those accidents occur in beds!  wave  wave 

Beds are inherently dangerous and I have found to my cost that other people's beds are more dangerous than the one I have at home!  champagne  champagne 

Over the years I have tested many beds but most of them have only caused minor abrasive injuries.   up!  up! 

However, one bed in Hull failed so badly that I had to leg it back to my ship wearing only my shoes and a macintosh. Whistle1  Whistle1 

Luckily for me it was a dark night and not many people were at large to witness my distress.  tap_fingers 

Hope this helps. allthumbz  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Rock and roll bed: crash tested? Empty Re: Rock and roll bed: crash tested?

Post by finbar Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:56 am

The Trident beds wouldn't have been crash tested as the seat belt mountings are fixed to the VW body anchor points rather than the bed frame itself. The aftermarket beds tend to mount the seat belts to the bed framework.
The other structual mounting point would be the seat to the floor fittings, but given the vehicle ages I doubt that they were tested.
The campervan/motorhome industry have only just become concerned about rear passenger safety in recent years.
finbar
finbar

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down