The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol leisure battery not charging

+2
Dutto
Jude
6 posters

Go down

Symbol leisure battery not charging Empty Symbol leisure battery not charging

Post by Jude Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:23 pm

Have just fitted new alternator to my 2004 Symbol and now leisure battery not charging/fridge inoperative when travelling (vehicle battery now charging so alternator good). Have checked all fuses & relays and all good. However, handbook says habitation relay module (beneath driver seat) has 2 fuses (green 30A & blue 15A) and 2 relays. In fact it has 3 fuses, including yellow 20A. Handbook also says an additional 30A fuse - "part of the 2nd battery charging system" -  is located above vehicle battery in engine compartment. I can't find any such fuse!

All suggestions welcome.
Jude
Jude

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Symbol

Back to top Go down

Symbol leisure battery not charging Empty Re: Symbol leisure battery not charging

Post by Dutto Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi there,

My first thought is that something has tripped and needs to be re-set so "Seek and ye shall find!" - perhaps.   wave

Hope this helps. allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Symbol leisure battery not charging Empty Re: Symbol leisure battery not charging

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:08 pm

I don't know where your vehicle sits in the timeline. Older vans detected ignition on to operate split charge and fridge relays. Newer vans use the D+ output from the alternator for that purpose. Is your new alternator a like for like replacement and did you reconnect all the ancillary wiring?

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks Peter. Symbol model is 04 reg. Had alternator fitted for me and it is Lucas LRB00438 as recommended for Peugeot Boxer 2.2 hdi post 2002. All ancillary wiring supposedly refitted.

I'd be grateful for any further help. Thanks in advance.
Jude
Jude

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:09 pm

You need to get an auto electrician to check the D+ output and then follow it into the AS circuitry where it may be fused. The trouble is all vans are a bit different so its difficult to do more without 'hands on'.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 am

Jude wrote:Have just fitted new alternator to my 2004 Symbol and now leisure battery not charging/fridge inoperative when travelling (vehicle battery now charging so alternator good). Have checked all fuses & relays and all good. However, handbook says habitation relay module (beneath driver seat) has 2 fuses (green 30A & blue 15A) and 2 relays. In fact it has 3 fuses, including yellow 20A. Handbook also says an additional 30A fuse - "part of the 2nd battery charging system" -  is located above vehicle battery in engine compartment. I can't find any such fuse!

All suggestions welcome.

Hi It might not be the same but my Symphony has 2 fuses above the battery in the engine bay.. Not that easy to see. A 30 and a 20.
The 30 is for the 2nd battery and the 20 for the fridge.

regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Weymouth John Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Funnily enough I've just this afternoon noticed for the first time a 30 Amp fuse hanging down on stray wires above the battery and wondered what it was for. Now I know!   (2002 Symbol)
Weymouth John
Weymouth John

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol-Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Those fuses and holders are very vulnerable to corrosion causing either the fridge or split charge to stop. Worth doing a regular check and cleaning of the contacts. Replacements are easily obtained but they will let you down when least wanted (usually just before a trip).

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks to all. Problem now fixed thanks to an expensive auto-electrician. Last post most accurate - corrosion around contacts - simple in the end but VERY annoying! And there is NO additional 30A fuse in engine compartment above battery, contrary to handbook.
Jude
Jude

Male

Back to top Go down