The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Side windows weather-strip - Peugeot Symphony

+8
chrisvesey
Flying High
mikethebike
newterry
peugeotboxer
Shuggiegreen
boxerman
psion739
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Side windows weather-strip - Peugeot Symphony Empty Side windows weather-strip - Peugeot Symphony

Post by psion739 Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Dear forum, this is my first posting.  The weather-strip (the rubber edge trim that the Parapress windows slide forwards and backwards in)  has perished and split open.  There is no signs of a leak inside the vehicle.  

I have searched the internet and found loads of trims but nothing I can recognise as being fit for purpose for a 1997 Peugeot symphony auto-sleeper.  Any advice for a stockist (or correct description of the weather-strip) would be appreciated.

If anyone has replaced these weather-strips and can offer any advice that would also be appreciated. 

Many thanks
John
psion739
psion739

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Side windows weather-strip - Peugeot Symphony Empty Re: Side windows weather-strip - Peugeot Symphony

Post by boxerman Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:28 pm

Hi John,
have you tried [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Side windows weather-strip - Peugeot Symphony Empty Re: Side windows weather-strip - Peugeot Symphony

Post by Shuggiegreen Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:22 pm

Or you could try the Autosleeper factory they may be able to help.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:00 am

psion739 wrote:Dear forum, this is my first posting.  The weather-strip (the rubber edge trim that the Parapress windows slide forwards and backwards in)  has perished and split open.  There is no signs of a leak inside the vehicle.  

The same has happened to mine.
I tried before to get some runners without success.
In reality we don't use the sliding windows at all. 
I would imagine that all vehicles of this age have suffered a similar fate?

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by psion739 Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Thank you to everyone who responded to my enquiry.  I contacted Auto-Sleeper Part enquiries.  I had an email back from Alan Osborne (Auto-Sleeper), his response indicated that the part is now obsolete and they are trying to source a replacement part.  I have asked Alan to let me know when they have a replacement part.  If I hear anything I will add a note to this post.

John
psion739
psion739

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:00 pm

My Harmony has gone the same way so I'll tag along on this thread in case there's any news.

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:36 pm

Without doing any measuring, two lengths of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] glued side by side might do it?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:15 am

psion739 wrote:Thank you to everyone who responded to my enquiry.  I contacted Auto-Sleeper Part enquiries.  I had an email back from Alan Osborne (Auto-Sleeper), his response indicated that the part is now obsolete and they are trying to source a replacement part.  I have asked Alan to let me know when they have a replacement part.  If I hear anything I will add a note to this post.

John
John, If he gave you the old part number it may help.
regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by psion739 Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:50 am

I am going to try Frank's idea and I have ordered a metre strip of each of the following and see what sort of a mess I can make:

SKU:ProductQuantityPriceExt. Price
R315Rubber Extrusion1£2.75£2.75
R990Rubber Extrusion1£3.25£3.25
151Window Channel1£4.00£4.00

Best wishes John
psion739
psion739

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:58 am

Hi Its worth a try.
Let us know how you get on.
regards

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:52 am

It's looking promising, I'm looking forward to reading about how you did it as well. 
Terry

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:13 am

Me too! Looks like a good solution.

Best regards, Mike   courtesy

Last edited by Flying High on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot smiley)
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by psion739 Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:58 pm

Good day folks, sorry about delay in posting my comments about Frank's ideas using choice of three profiles.  I purchase a metre of all three and only one was suitable, but not easy to fit.

I had a phone call from Alan Osborne at Auto-Sleeper and he advised me that they had sourced a new profile.  I order three metres and installed it with a little difficulty (where the windows cross over I had to do a bit of pulling and stretching to make it fit under the plastic windows).  Well it is all done!  Remember to cut out a notch in the profile near the window drain hole.

The new part is WW0144  Profile for Sliding Window, £3.25 per metre (including VAT). 
(Alan's phone number is 01386-842630)

Best wishes
John
psion739
psion739

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Thanks for that John.
Will order some up for fitting when there is not much else to do!!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:24 pm

John,
How easy was it to get the old stuff out, and I take it you didn't have to remove any/all of the window panels completely ?
It's a job the needs doing so I'm looking forward to having a go.
Great stuff, well done.
Terry

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by psion739 Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi Terry,

Apparently you don't have to remove the windows.  There is enough give in the plastic windows to enable the profile to be laid in the bottom channel.  Taking the old out was easy a pair of pincher's/ pliers/ screwdriver and a bit of brute force.  It was so badly perishes and brittle in just came away in my hand.

The method I used to install the new is not very professional.  I cut the length first then laid one end in the channel up to the window cross over, then tackled the other end leaving a bulge in the centre.  The tricky part was sliding the window forward and backwards over the trim so it would fit in the channel.  It has been raining today whilst doing the job and I think the rain helped lubricate the channel and new trim.  Despite the advice of Auto-sleepers there is not a lot of vertical movement in the plastic windows and maybe there is a more professional method. 

Please use your own discretion and don't use my method as I am not a mechanical engineer.  I hope that has been some help to you.

John
psion739
psion739

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:34 pm

John,
Thanks for the advice, I've just been down and had a look at the Harmony and the old stuff is definitely past it so getting out shouldn't be too difficult. Did you do the top channel and sides as well ?
Terry

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by psion739 Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:12 pm

No Terry,

They were OK and had no signs of damage.

John
psion739
psion739

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:18 pm

John,
Thanks for that, I'll concentrate on the bottom tracks.
Terry

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:00 pm

John,
The new profile arrived from AS today and had a look at the existing to get an idea of how do the job.
On my Harmony the profile for the sliding window panel goes along the bottom channel, up the leading edge and across the top (3 sides) in one piece. Did you cut yours just to fit the bottom channel ?

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by psion739 Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:35 am

Hi Terry, I only replaced the bottom section.  The top and sides were OK.  I didn't cut out the bottom section! but it may have been done by a previous owner.  Looking at the design I was happy just to replace just the bottom section.  I did cut a slot in the channelling at each end near the drain hole.

As mentioned previously it was difficult to fit the channelling under the windows, but with a bit of brute force, pulling, poking and stretching it eventually fell into place.  I fitted it in the rain and the water may have been a good lubricant. 

I asked auto-sleeper if I should dismantle the window and they assured me that there was sufficient clearance to do it. Good luck with your fitting.
Regards John
psion739
psion739

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:25 am

Hi Thanks John,  Missed the updates until today. Will order some.

thanks again.

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:33 pm

hi,
silicone spray (halfords £3) should make things easier, has anyone done anything with the sealing brush fitted vertically between the windows? Mine suffered from moss growing on it,
chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by psion739 Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi Chris,

Mine looks OK.  I am not sure how the sealing bush is attached to the window perhaps you could phone Alan Osbourne at Auto-sleeper spares (01386 842630), he is a very useful guy and helped with the other problem.
John.
psion739
psion739

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:47 pm

Okey doke, thank you.

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next