The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tantalizing potential storage space

+4
whisky
mikemelson
Wanderer
Shakespeare's daughter
8 posters

Go down

Tantalizing potential storage space  Empty Tantalizing potential storage space

Post by Shakespeare's daughter Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:25 pm

Between the washroom wall and rear door of our 2005 Symbol is a tantalizing space. Given the need for efficient storage in a Symbol, I feel that this space MUST be used.
We do not want to drill into the washroom wall. Last trip we tried super gluing hooks to the window so we could hang raincoats there – that was not entirely satisfactory….

Any suggestions?

Any other storage hints? Other than those given in an older, previous, thread which I found that is.
Shakespeare's daughter
Shakespeare's daughter

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Tantalizing potential storage space  Empty Re: Tantalizing potential storage space

Post by Wanderer Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Don't know the layout SD can you take a pic and post it so that we can all chew it over?
Wanderer
Wanderer

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : none
Vehicle Year : not appl

Back to top Go down

Tantalizing potential storage space  Empty Re: Tantalizing potential storage space

Post by Shakespeare's daughter Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Wanderer wrote:Don't know the layout SD can you take a pic and post it so that we can all chew it over?

UMMM well I can take a photograph; not sure I know how to upload it!!
I just thought that someone would have dealt with the same problem, and found a solution.

But I'll have a go. Tomorrow.
Shakespeare's daughter
Shakespeare's daughter

Back to top Go down

Post by Wanderer Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:49 pm

Yes I'll bet they have but I like a challenge. smile!
Wanderer
Wanderer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Wanderer Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:57 pm

Just checked the photo uploading SD. When you click on the reply button you get a row of options just below Post title. If you hover your mouse halfway along you see 2 options for loading your image. I just tried the Host Image one (without posting of course). Click on browse then insert your image from your own file, then upload.
Wanderer
Wanderer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:31 am

Shakespeare's daughter wrote:Between the washroom wall and rear door of our 2005 Symbol is a tantalizing space. Given the need for efficient storage in a Symbol, I feel that this space MUST be used.
We do not want to drill into the washroom wall. Last trip we tried super gluing hooks to the window so we could hang raincoats there – that was not entirely satisfactory….

Any suggestions?

Any other storage hints? Other than those given in an older, previous, thread which I found that is.

I have a (June) 2004 model Symbol & have no room whatsoever in this area, A/S must have changed the layout slightly at this time because I can just about slide a thin plastic foot-mat between the closed rear door & the washroom.
A previous owner has made an alteration that significantly increases storage space, the back wall of the overcab locker has been brought back by 6 inches, & being at the wider end, has doubled the capacity. I described this on an earlier post.

This might bring it up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mikemelson
mikemelson
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Tantalizing potential storage space  Empty Potential Storage Space

Post by whisky Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:47 am

Hi SD.
When I had a AS symbol I removed the panels on the back doors, cut out the centres and retrimed them. Fitted carpet to the inside of the door skin. This made two quite large storage spaces. Leveling ramps and a couple of wood blocks in one, hook up cable in the other. On the side of the loo between the loo door and the back doors is a space where you can secure a piece of melamine for an additional worktop that fits across from the loo wall to the sink/cooker unit. Sorry I have no photographs of these. Sold this van three years ago.
Just an idea or two.

Whisky. look here
whisky
whisky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:53 am

whisky wrote:
When I had a AS symbol I removed the panels on the back doors, cut out the centres and retrimed them. Fitted carpet to the inside of the door skin. This made two quite large storage spaces. Leveling ramps and a couple of wood blocks in one, hook up cable in the other.

Now I like that suggestion, nice one. At the moment I just have a net pocket fixed on each door panel and keep my 'pitch reserved' sign in one but I think your idea is much better.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Shakespeare's daughter Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:03 pm

whisky wrote:Hi SD.
When I had a AS symbol I removed the panels on the back doors, cut out the centres and retrimed them. Fitted carpet to the inside of the door skin. This made two quite large storage spaces. Leveling ramps and a couple of wood blocks in one, hook up cable in the other. On the side of the loo between the loo door and the back doors is a space where you can secure a piece of melamine for an additional worktop that fits across from the loo wall to the sink/cooker unit. Sorry I have no photographs of these. Sold this van three years ago.
Just an idea or two.

Whisky. look here

Like the door cut out idea. Thanks.

We have a pull out work top, which was a standard conversion fitment.

The bit I'm on about is directly behind the window of the back door. Space to hang things, if we could find a way of doing it without drilling into wood of washroom.

We have had the van a year now. Just about to embark on third ‘long’ trip.
First was 4 weeks last September in France.
April - June this year we did 3 months wandering in Europe.

Now about to set off for 6 weeks.

Haven't used the same storage configuration so far. Keep on experimenting and moving stuff about.

2 'successes'
- a plastic box, quite deep, with handles and lid. It travels behind passenger seat and holds loo chemicals, hook up, levelling blocks, warning triangle and other 'outside' stuff. When on site it lives outside - and makes a handy drinks table when we cannot be bothered to get other table out.
- another, shallower lidded box, with piece of carpet on lid, which I use as a foot rest by the passenger seat. I am short, and found travelling with legs ‘dangling’ quite uncomfortable!! Used it for books originally. Now I have a Kindle, so can use it for other stuff.

Shakespeare's daughter
Shakespeare's daughter

Back to top Go down

Tantalizing potential storage space  Empty Storage Solutions.

Post by whisky Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi SD.
Another storage idea is to fit a plastic file box type holder to the side of the seat next to the side door. Just enough room for this when the door is shut. good place for mags nick nacks etc.

Whisky. wave
whisky
whisky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Waves117 Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:21 pm

whisky wrote:
Another storage idea is to fit a plastic file box type holder to the side of the seat next to the side door. Just enough room for this when the door is shut. good place for mags nick nacks etc.

Whisky. wave

This is a great idea - thanks Whisky

Waves117 wave
Waves117
Waves117
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : TRIDENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Shakespeare's daughter Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Keep these ideas coming. I am, currently, sorting out in "Wendy" ready for trip. Just discovered that a deep wine carrier makes perfect place to store tins [will stop them falling about] and fits in lower cupboard under sink as if made for it.
Shakespeare's daughter
Shakespeare's daughter

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:15 pm

SD
I know what you mean by the wasted area in front of the rear n/s door although at one point the door is very colse to the rear of the washroom leaving very little gap.

One ting that I have done in my Symbol is to remove the wire basket under the n/s rear seat and substitute trays/boxes from the pound shop. This makes much better use of this space. see pics

It is also possible to remove the backboard of the washroom and convert this to some extra storage space. I have not done this.

As regards toilet chemicals I find that I can store what I need just inside of the toilet cassette access door.

I also store items in the compartment which houses the water heater and space heater and also in the gas cupboard.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shakespeare's daughter Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks.
Yes wire basket went after first long trip. Next to no good!

I have just washed a ton [well I exaggerate, but lots] of plastic storage boxes. They keep stuff so tidy. Well, in theory they do.

The locker above the cooker I found pretty impossible during first trip. It is deep and tall, but the front is low, so stuff would fall out. And, being short I found it hard to reach in - solution - 2 of those squarish hessian bags sold in National Trust shops, charity shops and places like that. They fit snugly in there, keep stuff togther and I can lift them out easily to get at what I want.

But still no solution for the 'space' behind rear door!!!
Shakespeare's daughter
Shakespeare's daughter

Back to top Go down

Post by Fiona Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Shakespeare's Daughter - we just shove things into this space (electric hook-up reel, water hose, and a garden bench cover which we use to cover the table and chairs etc when left outside. They stay there until the door is opened! I posted some ideas in a different section of the forum - I think this is the link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Keep the ideas coming - it's great to read other people's solutions. smile!

Fiona
Fiona
Fiona

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down