The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harmony and Symphony layouts?

+6
Harper22
Bartfarst
peugeotboxer
chrisvesey
mikebro
woodbutcher
10 posters

Go down

Harmony and Symphony layouts? Empty Harmony and Symphony layouts?

Post by woodbutcher Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:02 pm

Probably been asked before but what are the main differences between these vans. I know the Symphony is slightly longer but it looks like the front seating arrangements are slightly different too?

We really like the Harmony layout, with the different options in the seating and sleeping area and the fact that the front seats swivel around. We have seen a nice Symphony but it appears from the photos that the front is made of a single seat and one bench seat that doesn't convert to single as the Harmony does, and that only the passenger seat swivels around. Is this the case because it may be a deal breaker for us?

Thanks for any help.

Steve.
woodbutcher
woodbutcher

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : None

Back to top Go down

Harmony and Symphony layouts? Empty Re: Harmony and Symphony layouts?

Post by mikebro Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi,

My van is a Symbol not either a Symphony or a Harmony. However, since no-one else has replied, and the Symphony and Symbol have identical length and sleeping arrangements, I think I can help.

The Symbol (Symphony) has a double bed, or two singles, that make up WITHOUT the use of the driver and front passenger seats. Only the passenger seat swivels round - the driver's seat does not swivel. Note you have the option to make up one double or two single beds. both wothout using the driver or front passenger seat.

The Harmony is considerably shorter. Its double bed or two singles make up by INCLUDING the driver and front passenger seats with both swivelled round.

For me, the big advantage of the longer vans is that there is space to store stuff on and around the driver and passenger seats while the bed is made up. However, I guess that the shorter Harmony is even easier to park.

Others may correct me if I'm wrong anywhere!!

Rgds

Mikebro
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:15 pm

hi,
with our symbol we sleep across the van and do not need to use the front seat or any infill cushions. If you are 5/10 or under you should be OK,
chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes, we also sleep across the van in our Symbol. But even if you sleep "fore and aft", either in single beds or the double, you still do not use the front seats in a Symbol or Symphony, just infill cushions. Whereas in a Harmony, you do use the front seats.

Best regards

Mikebro  smile!
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by woodbutcher Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:05 am

Thanks for the replies but it was the seating rather than the sleeping arrangements that i was hoping to learn about. I like the way both the Harmony front seats swivel around to face the van and that there can be two single belted travelling seats.

The extra room in the Symbol and Symphony is tempting though.

Is anyone aware of a resource for checking all the Autosleeper van layouts?

Thanks again.

Steve.
woodbutcher
woodbutcher

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:53 pm

woodbutcher wrote:Thanks for the replies but it was the seating rather than the sleeping arrangements that i was hoping to learn about. I like the way both the Harmony front seats swivel around to face the van and that there can be two single belted travelling seats.

The extra room in the Symbol and Symphony is tempting though.

Is anyone aware of a resource for checking all the Autosleeper van layouts?

Thanks again.

Steve.

Steve

If you PM me an email address I'll send you a copy of the AS Brochure on Harmony and Symphony.
The info you need may well be in there.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:50 pm

We love the flexibility of the Harmony's seating layout: the way in which the front seats are brought into use really makes the very best use of all available space in the SWB chassis, as opposed to the MWB chassis for the Symphony and Harmony where the forward area has limited utility. One of my favourite configurations is to turn the front seats into the van space through just 90 degrees so they face each other. Then one can stretch one's legs out, beer in hand and relax. I have added another 'detent' the seat swivel mechanism to lock it in this position, in addition to the 180 degree standard positions.

Now there's just the two of us, the seat behind the driver we keep as a bench 100% of the time. Adding one further table socket to the floor centrally then enables the table to be put in the middle of the gangway, which suits us just fine.

In fact, as I've probably said before, having owned our Harmony for nineteen years, we still have not seen anything which fits our needs as well as what we've got.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by woodbutcher Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks for the input Bartfarst. I also like the flexibility of the Harmony, but have yet to actually see one in the flesh. Doesn't appear to be that many around unless i travel a long way. Will just have to be patient.
woodbutcher
woodbutcher

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:05 pm

Bartfarst wrote:....... MWB chassis for the Symphony and Harmony where the forward area has limited utility.......
I meant to say Symphony and Symbol.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:04 am

woodbutcher wrote:Thanks for the input Bartfarst. I also like the flexibility of the Harmony, but have yet to actually see one in the flesh. Doesn't appear to be that many around unless i travel a long way. Will just have to be patient.

Did you get the brochure?

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:38 am

mikebro wrote:Hi Chris,

Yes, we also sleep across the van in our Symbol. But even if you sleep "fore and aft", either in single beds or the double, you still do not use the front seats in a Symbol or Symphony, just infill cushions. Whereas in a Harmony, you do use the front seats.

Best regards

Mikebro  smile!
The harmony will also make a transverse double WITHOUT using the driver and passenger seats, Granted you need to be about 5/10 5/11 but it works a treat, If however you want a king size double then yes you utilise the driver and passenger seats with some additional cushions between the two. I have had my harmony for 2 years now and have looked at well over 300 vans since getting it and still havent found anything as versatile with the layouts you can utilise  up!
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:57 am

I'm a little confused by the reference to single and double seats in the original post. I've got a Symphony and it's got two single seats at the front, but only the passenger one swivels. 

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:08 am

Traficlady wrote:I'm a little confused by the reference to single and double seats in the original post. I've got a Symphony and it's got two single seats at the front, but only the passenger one swivels. 

Nora
I'm wondering if they mean the habitation seats? The Harmony has two seats in the back that make two forward facing belted seats for passengers, one two seater side facing bench with a forward facing single (the layout of the symphony/symbol and duetto i believe) and if you wanted then it could also be two side facing benches (but you wouldn't be able to use the side door overly well) both of the cab seats swivel to face the rear which makes two really nice 2 person dining areas one either side. Have to say I love the versatility.
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 am

That's probably it, just a bit confusing the way it's been written.

Shame they didn't make both the Symphony front seats swivel and make up part of the bed, it would make it a lot easier to make the bed up. My passenger seat is quite hard to move from behind but I like to use the side sliding door otherwise I'd make two settees.

Nora

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:57 am

Traficlady wrote:That's probably it, just a bit confusing the way it's been written.

Shame they didn't make both the Symphony front seats swivel and make up part of the bed, it would make it a lot easier to make the bed up. My passenger seat is quite hard to move from behind but I like to use the side sliding door otherwise I'd make two settees.

Nora
I have to say that i never knew the symphony didn't swivel, is that the same for the duetto does anyone know? that would possibly be the only other van i would swap to "IF" the seats did a similar layout as you get the oven and extra cupboards :-)
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:17 am

The passenger seat does swivel (sorry, that wasn't clear in my previous post) but not the driver's seat. To make the bed, you have to turn the passenger seat facing forward and then push it as far to the front as it goes because the single seat in the back extends and hooks onto the base of the passenger seat to make the bed (or settee) on that side.

Just having a quick look on Ebay, it would appear that the Duetto is the same.

As for ovens, I don't know if they are standard in the Duetto but they're not in the Symphony. Mine has one but most of them seem to have a cuboard there instead.

Nora

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:29 am

Traficlady wrote:
As for ovens, I don't know if they are standard in the Duetto but they're not in the Symphony. Mine has one but most of them seem to have a cuboard there instead.

Nora
I've never seen a Symphony without an oven and as far as I know the Duettos all have ovens . I think it's the Harmony/Rambler that doesn't have one as standard.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Maybe it's the Talbots. Having a quick look on Ebay, there are about four Peugeots which all have an oven but one Talbot which doesn't. 

Nora

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Bit late to this one but as a Harmony owner I can confirm there's no oven but as 'chief steward' a double skillet will produce the same end result !
The Harmony is on an SWB at 4.8m, a bit easier to park in tight spaces. Speaking from experience the use of the front seats is do-able, you probably need something on top of the configuration to smooth out the changes of surface. 
Single beds avoid clambering over the other half for a comfort break in the night !
I've made some other modifications which can be explained on a PM if needed.

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Sat May 03, 2014 6:19 pm

Hello newterry,
We have just brought home our 2001 Peugeot Boxer Harmony, and wondered if you had any sugestions as to how we access the leisure battery please.  Would also be interested in your mods, as I have a couple in mind myself.  How would use a skillet as an oven, as isn't it like a frying pan sort of thing? 
All The Best
Linda   (newbe to site)
Linda
Linda

Female

Member Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Sat May 03, 2014 8:03 pm

Linda,
Welcome to ASOF, the technical advice on here is amazing and has been a lifesaver, I've learnt loads from friendly, helpful members.
There's quite a long list of mods so will reply more fully a bit later tonight. Coincidentally I've just contacted my Habitation Service man regarding access to the leisure battery as I need to check the fuse as its not holding a charge and that's his first bit of advice. I've got to phone him and will add what he says once I've cracked it myself.
So, watch this space !!

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 pm

Hello Terry thank you for your reply,
my Husband has just found the four bolts on each corner on top of the seat box which are countersunk, and cunningly hidden under the carpet.  He had already taken the seat off revealing the swivel plate, but now thinks that he could have left the seat on and just turned it 45 % had he realised where the bolts were.
Looking forward to your long list of mods.
Kind Regards
Linda
Linda
Linda

Female

Member Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Sat May 03, 2014 9:43 pm

When we bought the Harmony the 1st time round in 1999 I was keen to keep everything as standard as possible.
To avoid boring the pants of those that have heard all this before I'll do a list and then if anything catches your eye I can go into more detail on a pm with a few photos. To cut a long story short this is the second time we've owned this particular Harmony.
1. 1st time round, carefully cut out an opening in the panel facing the n/s back door for additional storage. The cut-out can be made into a door.
2. Added galley rails around the top of the wardrobe for on-site storage, books, CD's, etc. (They were removed by subsequent owners)
3. Purchased a double skillet which allows you to roast as well as fry-ups, spag bol sauce etc. They stack with a glass lid on top.
4. Purchased a 20 litre water carrier and transferred water to the main tank with a battery powered pond pump avoiding moving the van off pitch. (a 5litre drinking water container is essential for tea making etc)
5. Purchased a 20lt waste tank and folding luggage trolley to avoid moving off pitch.
6. 2nd time round (2011) 'persuaded' the dealer to add an Omnivent to replace the std. vent over the cooker, electric step under the sliding door (Mrs H is disabled), reversing camera, all FOC as his valeter had let slip he'd had the van on the forecourt for 3 months !!
7. I replaced the solid overcab bulkhead (it's in storage for future re-instatement) with a cargo net as I was fed up with being banged on the back of head by the door........
Storage up there then becomes more flexible but the roof lining can droop a bit.
8. Added Air-rides and cruise control.
9. Had the water evacuation pipe that takes water from the windscreen scuttle and dumps it all over the gearbox changed to the longer LHD version (thanks 'flying high'). Having then had the gearbox serviced and and the oil changed, gear selection now a lot better.
10. I HATE rattles so as the van is for day use I've removed the upper flyscreens and blinds (which were mouldy anyway). The assembly is complete and in careful storage for re-instatement if needed and I can now have a normal conversation with my passengers.
11. Just added the one-piece cab carpet recommended by ASOC from Motorcaravan essentials- brilliant.
12. Replaced the table post velcro straps with quick release toe straps (bike stuff) for easier access.
13. Found my way into the Peugeot 'Service Box' so I have the original build notes and the exact date the base vehicle was built.
I later found out that there was a 9 month gap from the subsequent AS build date to us buying the Harmony as 'new' (don't get me started... )!!
I see you're in Hampshire so it may be possible to do a 'show&tell' as I'm off J9 M27.
If there's anything else, let me know via a pm.  allthumbz

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down