The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol Oak Woodgrain Boards

5 posters

Go down

Symbol Oak Woodgrain Boards Empty Symbol Oak Woodgrain Boards

Post by Guest Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi all, I am looking to re-fit the faded oak woodgrain boards to the rear of the shower & sink unit on my 2003 Symbol, the sun through the back doors has bleached them almost light beige, anyone know where this board can be obtained ? I believe it is 4mm ply/mdf based, I am in Suffolk 
                                                                                                             scratch head
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Symbol Oak Woodgrain Boards Empty Re: Symbol Oak Woodgrain Boards

Post by peugeotboxer Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:42 pm

I can't speak for your vehicle but mine is actually 'Fablon' plastic stuck onto the plywood.
It is very realistic and had me fooled for years!!

Have a look in a hardware store, pretty sure you will be able to match it.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:44 pm

This fading has been a long-time problem of Symphonys and Symbol and bringing back the colour has been discussed before, look through this thread for ideas...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Symbol Oak Woodgrain Boards Empty symbol oak woodgrain boards

Post by Guest Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:51 pm

thanks 'Peugeot Boxer' & co, I couldn't bring myself to use fablon, my aversion is because my parents used to cover everything in the house with it in the sixties, I'm sure I've seen a thin ply or mdf product with a tougher melamine finish than adhesive plastic sheet, maybe 'Auto-Sleeper' will be able to advise me, the wooden worktop lippings & trims will be no problem to renovate
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Symbol Oak Woodgrain Boards Empty Fablon

Post by johndean Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi,

After much looking for a plywood suitable we used Fablon which was a prefect match and a great finish looked good for years and cost very little. Just be careful to ensure no bubbles whatsoever. it was a 1995 Symphony
Regards
John Dean
johndean
johndean

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : !2019

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:38 pm

symbol54 wrote:thanks 'Peugeot Boxer' & co, I couldn't bring myself to use fablon, my aversion is because my parents used to cover everything in the house with it in the sixties
My sentiments exactly for the very same reasons.
However time has moved on and they are very realistic nowadays.

PB

ps. wonder if they still do the pale blue with whit spots on  think_smiley_46
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Symbol Oak Woodgrain Boards Empty faded wood sink/shower

Post by imnotlost Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi, Symbol54, I tried my best to dye a colour back in our harmony sink/shower panels with no luck when it dried it would wipe off when polished, What I did in the end after many frustrating attemps to restore colour to a laminated board was take the back panel off and glued a blue liner [thin carpet from leisure lines] to the panel and to the sink panel, Hope our alternative solution is helpful to you. Ken.
imnotlost
imnotlost

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 am

Hi Symbol54,

I had the same problem 18 months ago on my Symphony, somebody had tried to paint a dyed varnish on the back sink unit and toilet cubicle side where the

sun had bleached them both (YUK!), tried to rub it down and found out it was a covering, I then considered replacing the boards but it looked like a big job and

having looked on the internet I could not find a match wood wise, I checked out various e bay sites for fablon and found ( I think it was a German make) almost

exact copy with slight grain not cheap but the results were brilliant! spent a lot of time carefully cutting and tucking in the edges used the plastic blade tool supplied

and no bubbles at one point when I first started I pulled it off and started again no problem the result is still no bubbling and I have been to the South of France a

couple of times in blistering heat, would I use the same fablon if I needed too on another van you bet well proud of the results. I also removed the wooden strip at

the bottom to tuck it in and on the other side made a smaller one to match, once the fablon was in place and trimmed with a Stanley knife and  having tucked it in

sealed round with a little clear bead of sealant.

Top tip:- buy cheap look cheap worth spending a little more as you have to look at it quite a lot.

hope this helps you decide:up!: 

Pat
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down