The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ford transit auto sleeper

+5
Paulmold
Dutto
inspiredron
-mojo-
alfandm
9 posters

Go down

ford transit auto sleeper Empty ford transit auto sleeper

Post by alfandm Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi All,My wife and I have just jioned,as we are looking at down sizeing to a LWB ford transit 1990s model so we can use as our main Vehicle, does any one have any views on this model and fuel consumption expected we are looking at a diesel model,plus any views on the petrol models,thanking you in advance for any information good or bad,Alf:thanks:
alfandm
alfandm

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : none

Back to top Go down

ford transit auto sleeper Empty Re: ford transit auto sleeper

Post by -mojo- Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Do you plan to travel regularly in the LEZ? If so, a diesel will be out of the question, as they are prohibitively expensive to make compliant.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:05 am

-mojo- wrote:Do you plan to travel regularly in the LEZ? If so, a diesel will be out of the question, as they are prohibitively expensive to make compliant.
I think that provided your intended purchase was first registered on or after 1/10/2001 and is not over 3500kg MGW it is compliant at present - but TFL do have a habit of changing the goalposts.
I had a Fiat 2.8JTD based Hymer first registered on 1/09/2001 and had to get a homologation certificate from Fiat to prove that it was Euro 3 and not Euro 2. Even with that TFL cocked it up and it took several months to sort out. It was very important to me because I live just inside the LEZ and it costs £100 a day if you are not compliant!
We now have a Euro V Lancashire so should be OK for a few years.

However, we will soon have to pay the congestion charge on our Prius, which is currently exempt, if we drive into Central London (who would want to?) - an example of TFL moving the posts to which I lodged a formal objection on principle - but without success. sensored1

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:53 am

inspiredron wrote:I think that provided your intended purchase was first registered on or after 1/10/2001
The OP has already stated that they are looking for a 1990s model.

Fuel consumption for vans of that age has been covered extensively before - if you do a search for Duetto (a typical LWB Transit based converstion of that period) fuel consumption you will find plenty of info. As you would expect, it is heavily dependent on how fast you plan to cruise. My own experience (but of a SWB of that age) is 32-34mpg, with a diesel TDi dating from 1999, cruising at no more than 60 on the motorway.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:01 am

-mojo- wrote:
The OP has already stated that they are looking for a 1990s model.
Oh dear - it is late isn't it! rolleyes

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by alfandm Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi All and thanks for your replys,the model we have been looking at is a 1998 duetto, but are not sure if to go for the diesel or petrol models,we dont go into the LEZ so not to bothered,and as for other citys in Europe again not to bothered as we stay out side and use public transport,cheers Alf,up!
alfandm
alfandm

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi there,

"Petal" is a 1998 2.4 litre turbo-diesel and she still ticks all the boxes after two and a half years.

We get up to 34 mpg (32.4 mpg on the run down to Italy towing a trailer).

Diesel is a lot cheaper than petrol almost anywhere but the UK so we get an extra benefit when touring overseas.

With regard to the LEZ and restricted zones in other parts of Europe my answer is "So what? I don't live in a city and I hate going into them anyway."

If you visit a city with an LEZ there will be some kind of Park and Ride scheme or you can use your push-bikes.

Hope this helps. allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:41 pm

As far as I am aware, the Duetto was never made in petrol form. The petrol version of a transit at the time was dearer than the diesel, whereas on the Boxer, the petrol ones were cheaper which is why most Symphonys are petrol and most (probably all) Duettos were diesel in non-turbo or turbo. I think the last petrol transits used were in the Legend.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:16 pm

Hi Tommy is a 1996 Non Turbo Duetto and is for sale if you are interested

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Only reason for sale is that we are returning to being campsite wardens again in 2014 and really need a tugger (caravan) for living in long term.

A log of our trip this year can be seen here

Although we never really checked, fuel consumption was better than expected. For a good while Tommy was our sole vehicle, perfect for parking in standard parking spaces (without height barriers), comfortable to drive with the plush seating.

The 90's Duetto is a good choice, maybe we are biased but "hey-ho" ! up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by alfandm Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:50 am

Tommy-Darcy wrote:Hi Tommy is a 1996 Non Turbo Duetto and is for sale if you are interested

Only reason for sale is that we are returning to being campsite wardens again in 2014 and really need a tugger (caravan) for living in long term.

A log of our trip this year can be seen here

Although we never really checked, fuel consumption was better than expected. For a good while Tommy was our sole vehicle, perfect for parking in standard parking spaces (without height barriers), comfortable to drive with the plush seating.

The 90's Duetto is a good choice, maybe we are biased but "hey-ho" ! up! Thank you for the offer,very interesting and nice looking van will keep it to mind, what type of price are you looking for,you can pm me with that if you wish,many thanks Alf:up!: 
alfandm
alfandm

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:58 am

alfandm wrote: Thank you for the offer,very interesting and nice looking van will keep it to mind, what type of price are you looking for,you can pm me with that if you wish,many thanks Alf:up!: 
Why not just follow the link you were given to see the asking price?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Asking £10750 and worth every penny :-)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

ford transit auto sleeper Empty Duetto owners view

Post by rodcdm Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi there,
 We have a 1998 Lwb Transit with a 2.5 litre turbo diesel. It has 75000 miles on the clock and they are strong engines so hopefully will last over 150000 miles. It returns just on 30MPG. We always keep it at the top of the green band on the Tachometer on Motorways and this equates to 60 - 65 mph. Gives you a bit in hand for overtaking long ques of lorries.
I would think a non turbo one would be noisy and pretty sluggish.
It is ideal for a couple and not too big to drive around town. The gas water heater and warm air heaters are getting a bit long in the tooth and can be temprimental. Also watch out for leaks on the water heater due to frost damage.
Other wise it has everything an up to date vehicle has without costing zillions.
Look at lots - there are some around that have had a rough life.
rodcdm
rodcdm

Male

Member Age : 84

Back to top Go down

ford transit auto sleeper Empty Duetto owners view

Post by rodcdm Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi there,
 We have a 1998 Lwb Transit with a 2.5 litre turbo diesel. It has 75000 miles on the clock and they are strong engines so hopefully will last over 150000 miles. It returns just on 30MPG. We always keep it at the top of the green band on the Tachometer on Motorways and this equates to 60 - 65 mph. Gives you a bit in hand for overtaking long ques of lorries.
It is ideal for a couple and not too big to drive around town. The gas water heater and warm air heaters are getting a bit long in the tooth and can be temprimental. Also watch out for leaks on the water heater due to frost damage.
Other wise it has everything an up to date vehicle has without costing zillions.
rodcdm
rodcdm

Male

Member Age : 84

Back to top Go down

Post by alfandm Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:17 pm

rodcdm wrote:Hi there,
Thankyou for a your  informative points of view, which i have taken onboard for our searching of this model which will help us on making our right choice,thanks again Alf.
alfandm
alfandm

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by alfandm Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

"Petal" is a 1998 2.4 litre turbo-diesel and she still ticks all the boxes after two and a half years.

We get up to 34 mpg (32.4 mpg on the run down to Italy towing a trailer).

Diesel is a lot cheaper than petrol almost anywhere but the UK so we get an extra benefit when touring overseas.

With regard to the LEZ and restricted zones in other parts of Europe my answer is "So what?  I don't live in a city and I hate going into them anyway."

If you visit a city with an LEZ there will be some kind of Park and Ride scheme or you can use your push-bikes.

Hope this helps. allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Thanking you kindley for your Reply, the duetto sounds a good Van, and i think the choice will be a turbo powered duetto! like you we are not bothered if we dont use the van in london and like always when in europe we park on a site out side a said city and use public transport or our Bikes it makes a much injoyable day, Thanks again Regards Alf.
alfandm
alfandm

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:20 pm

rodcdm wrote:I would think a non turbo one would be noisy and pretty sluggish.
I beg to differ, Tommy is neither noisy nor pretty sluggish. Ok so it is no sports model, but will cruise quite happily at 70 mph on appropriate roads and as said previously though we have never checked the fuel consumption we were very suprised how economical we found him to be.

Please don't put non Turbo models down.

Ours is a 1996 model, and we have not had any problems with the gas water or warm air heaters smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:05 pm

alfandm wrote:

drinksallround 

Thanking you kindley for your Reply, the duetto sounds a good Van, and i think the choice will be a turbo powered duetto! like you we are not bothered if we dont use the van in london and like always when in europe we park on a site out side a said city and use public transport or our Bikes it makes a much injoyable day, Thanks again Regards Alf.
Alf,
Hi  My experience of those models are;
Turbo diesel is best.
Petrol second
Non turbo third.
Have had experience of all.
However i found the differences are not great over the low milages most owners do.
my main problem was finding a Duetto that was rust free.One dealer told me the only rust free Fords are in the museum.
However he was wrong as members here have some good Duettos.
I found the Symphony models for sale much better regarding condition.
So i would go for condition first second and third.
Oh i prefer the front look of the Symphony!allthumbz
regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by alfandm Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:44 am

Hi Mike, Thanks very much for the useful input, funny enough we have been also looking at the symphony's,and like the look of them,so i will let the thread know what we in the end decided ,Regards and thanks again Alf.up!
alfandm
alfandm

Male

Back to top Go down