The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bringing back the shine

+4
ian
brodco
Cymro
alpall
8 posters

Go down

Bringing back the shine Empty Bringing back the shine

Post by alpall Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:33 pm

My newly acquired duetto needs a good polishing up, can anyone recommend anything. My research is showing not to use T cut, which I'm glad about because it looks like too hard work.
alpall
alpall

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto automatic

Back to top Go down

Bringing back the shine Empty Re: Bringing back the shine

Post by Cymro Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Welcome to the forum Alpal.  You'll find that it's expected and polite that new members introduce themselves - see the home page, under
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But you're most welcome. I don't know what the bodywork of a Duetto is.   If it's GRP, then use Farleca GRP Restorer & Wax, followed by Starbrite's premium marine polish with PTFE.
That was the best advice I had, thanks again to this forum.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by alpall Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:57 pm

You've obviously missed my introduction... thanks for your reply Cmyro albeit I don't understand the jargon.
alpall
alpall

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Hi. wave 

alpall wrote:My newly acquired duetto needs a good polishing up, can anyone recommend anything. My research is showing not to use T cut, which I'm glad about because it looks like too hard work.
Cymro wrote: I don't know what the bodywork of a Duetto is
Bodywork = standard painted steel. Roof = fibreglass.

For the roof the things “Cymro” said in his last post seem to be the general advice. Can’t speak from experience because I’ve never really polished up my roof (smacked hand).Whistle1 

For the bodywork I’d try a good wash followed by a decent car polish. If that doesn’t work what have you got against T cut?
Not something to be used on a regular basis because it’s abrasive but for neglected paintwork that has become stained or bleached by the sun and will not polish up I’ve found it marvellous.

I’d say only use it as a last resort when everything else has failed. Afterwards you can just go back to normal wash and polish.

Brod.

Last edited by brodco on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by alpall Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks for the explanation I didn't know that!
I've nothing against T cut, I don't know enough about using anything other than car shampoo and Autoglym polish.  I've read that T cut contains ammonia and that there are now products on the market less harmful that takes the hard work out of getting a shine.  The body work is very dull on my duetto and certainly needs something.  I would gladly pay someone else to do it but don't know who to go to.
I've used to be a blonde:snigger:
alpall
alpall

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi,

To my knowledge and I've been restoring classic cars for years there is 'no alternative' to hard work in bringing back the shine.

Nowadays I use one of these:

and it's still hard work.

BUT
I don't need or have a gym membership. I sweat for free!! bouncing 

For polishing which you can do by machine/hand I use this on my motorhome and it does everything. Bringing it up like new:

If you don't want to do it yourself I'm sure there'll be local valets/polishers who will do it for you. It would be expensive though.

What I would suggest is to get your compound/polish and set yourself small targets. Do something like the bonnet and then stand back and see/admire the difference you have made.

I never polish my whole vehicle at once. I'm too old and would be aching for the rest of the month!

By the way on another subject:
If you want your smiley's to show up you have to leave a space after the last word smile!

Regards Ian
ian
ian

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:37 am

alpall wrote:You've obviously missed my introduction...

Terribly sorry: I did. I plead the success of the Forum - so many Members joining!

The answers which have been posted to your query typify the helpful and constructive nature of the Forum.

No excuse other than hot weather for starting the polishing!  Me too.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by alpall Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:09 am

Many thanks everyone.  I shall be buying Farecla to start, at a slow pace my van should be pristine before the winter.

I love this forum to bits.

xxx:smile!:
alpall
alpall

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by alpall Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:11 am

Hi Ian, on my last reply I thought I had left a space before using an icon. This time maybe.  smile!
alpall
alpall

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:13 pm

alpall wrote:My newly acquired duetto needs a good polishing up, can anyone recommend anything. My research is showing not to use T cut, which I'm glad about because it looks like too hard work.

You might find this thread by Jenny and Peter interesting;

Done an incredible job and all by hand too. Damned hard work!

A few months ago I looked around for a professional to do my roof as I can't trust myself any longer on ladders. Unfortunately when he arranged to come it poured down and by this time I had only a few days before leaving UK. I'm now looking at getting it done next year.

A point worth mentioning that if using a powered buffer, you do have to 'know what you're doing' as it's possible to leave burn marks on the roof which you will never get out.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:43 pm

Well, I have been a member of this forum for just over 24 hours, the last two of which have been spent following advice posted here and now the top of my Trophy is gleaming ... almost gleaming.  I can't reach the centre of the front above the windscreen.  scratch head  Anyone any tips?  Am thinking that perhaps I need to pull up alongside (or under) some scaffolding. confused3 I blew my budget just buying Betty, can't afford any professional job and am more than happy to get my hands dirty doing this, so, any tips?!

Thanks
Betty's Mum
Betty's Mum

Female

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:41 pm

I guess it depends a bit on your level of agility. On my old high-top Transit I could grasp the door mirror and step both feet up onto the top of the front wheel, and from there it's possible to reach to the centre if you're average height. Another trick if you're feeling a bit less steady is to open drivers/passengers door, position a stepladder outside and a thick layer of newspaper on the seat. You can then climb the ladder, step one foot onto the seat and use the top of the door as a support while you lean over to the centre.

Be careful though. I learned the hard way that putting a carrier bag on the seat to stop it getting wet footmarks achieves that effect, but the result is so slippery that you are likely to come a cropper (fortunately in my case nothing broken...).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:09 am

With a step stool / small steps strategically placed near to the front wing you should be able to reach, without feeling unstable. Parking the vehicle on a slight slope may also give you an advantage. I'm only 5' 6"" and can reach the front section of my Topaz in this way.  Whatever you use always be sure you are stable and don't over-reach !

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:56 am

I've got one of those 'multi-purpose' ladders that make different shapes.
However, I only use the 'A'-frame position and find I can reach just over half way across the roof. So from each side, I can cover the whole roof.
This includes the front 'slopey' bit.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:20 pm

I was about to try using one of those flat microfibre floor mops ... that will make the neighbours chuckle hugegrins If that fails, I guess its the camcorder and the ladders (then if I should fall, the £250 from YBF will come in handy to pay a pro!) .  If that does not work, I could always try one of these ... broomstick !
Betty's Mum
Betty's Mum

Female

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down