The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Symbol LED Daylight Lights - poor build

+6
-mojo-
CC
Peter Brown
Bulletguy
modelman
djmvan
10 posters

Go down

2013 Symbol LED Daylight Lights - poor build Empty 2013 Symbol LED Daylight Lights - poor build

Post by djmvan Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:06 pm

I wonder how many other owners have had an LED daylight running light fall out on the 2013 models?

They are held in, (not by a screw into the body of the light, or anything solid like that) by a bent piece of perforated plate stuck to the fibreglass lamp holder by silicone!  The plate has a bolt through it that passes through a piece of bent aluminium that holds it in place behind the cutout of the front spoiler.

Silicone isn't an effective glue, it's a gap filler. Sure it can be used as a glue for many non-load bearing applications, but securing the light holder shouldn't be one of them.

Anybody else had this problem?

Dave
djmvan
djmvan

Male

Member Age : 64

Back to top Go down

2013 Symbol LED Daylight Lights - poor build Empty Re: 2013 Symbol LED Daylight Lights - poor build

Post by modelman Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:07 am

You can replace silicone with a PU ( polyurathane )  adhesive, trouble is, its so good, you'll have trouble removing it (for maintenance) so I would only

use a couple of  'dabs' here & there.

The biggest problem I have with these PU's is that they only come in the standard cartridge-gun size, & 'go-off' if not used once opened, so it 

can be a bit waist-full unless it is all used within a few days.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

2013 Symbol LED Daylight Lights - poor build Empty Re: 2013 Symbol LED Daylight Lights - poor build

Post by Bulletguy Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:19 am

What about "No Nails"? Though you may have the same problem as modelman mentions above as the stuff is so good. I use it to fit number plates so it gets rid of the unsightly screw fittings. Never had one drop off yet and if you do have to replace, the plate is easy enough to break.

Afraid i'm not surprised at OP's post. The trend for many manufacturers of later models is to build down to a price at the sacrifice of quality. A good example being older model Hymers which often sell for more than later models on the used market. And that's a company known for it's build quality.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:23 am

If I'm reading this right your problem is with a brand new Peugeot chassis - if that is the case, why aren't you letting Peugeot deal with the problem?

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:50 pm

My DRL's were fixed with silicone and they are as secure as the day they were fitted and we have done several thousand miles since fitting

AutoSleepers obviously fit them using this method so they can be removed  or replaced easily if needed at a later date..... I don't totally agree that silicone is not an adhesive as window fitters use it to stick UPVC trim all the time. 

i wouldn't use anything more permanent than silicone myself.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

2013 Symbol LED Daylight Lights - poor build Empty The fact is - the DRL pack fell out

Post by djmvan Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:47 pm

Actually, the DRL pack is easy to take out, it's held at the back with a bracket and a nut and bolt. Sorry but your argument that it's done like that to make it easier to replace doesn't follow.  The light strip itself is held on by two nuts and bolts and could easily be replaced even if the holder had the securing bolt put through it before the light strip was put in it.

I didn't ask how to fix it, that will get done, I asked if anyone else had had the problem...
djmvan
djmvan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:26 am

djmvan wrote:I didn't ask how to fix it, that will get done, I asked if anyone else had had the problem...

It's true, you did. But if you don't want to know how to fix it, why did you ask the question?
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:32 am

undefined wrote:
Silicone isn't an effective glue, it's a gap filler. Sure it can be used as a glue for many non-load bearing applications, but securing the light holder shouldn't be one of them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Well worth reading. If your light come out it would most likely be down to the fact that the surface was not prepared properly before adhesion, Simple fix and quicker to do yourself than take the MH back to the dealer.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

2013 Symbol LED Daylight Lights - poor build Empty Read what I wrote !!!

Post by djmvan Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Read what I wrote - where did I ask how to fix it? 

Don't read "stupid" when you see "newbie" - I've already had enough of this forum - if people can't read and comprehend a question such as:  "Has anyone else had the same problem"  then what's the point?

I'll repeat the question: "Has anyone else had the same problem" and no - I don't want advice as to how to fix it or what glue stuck what.....
djmvan
djmvan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:45 pm

djmvan wrote:
Don't read "stupid" when you see "newbie" - I've already had enough of this forum 

"I'm sure I'll be asking my fair share of "stupid" questions over the next few weeks / months!"

Well that's the first one then!!    smile! 

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:44 am

djmvan wrote:I've already had enough of this forum

Oh dear, another person who does not understand how internet forums work. In my experience of many forums (fora?) your approach will always end in conflict and failure.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:44 am

What a sad sad person 'djmvan' must be.
How can you get so wound up about comments on a forum that are designed only to be helpful, even if advise was not requested.
Perhaps djmvan should gracefully retire from the forum and spare us all
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

2013 Symbol LED Daylight Lights - poor build Empty Retired happy :-)

Post by djmvan Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:45 pm

wave
djmvan
djmvan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:07 pm

My what a happy chappie, err has he gone??  confused3 

I can never understand why people cant live together in harmony, this forum is great and helped me out many times as a "newby".

We are all here to help one another and that's what we all do best, oh well all sorts make a world unfortunately.

Best regards, Mike  courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down