The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electrical hook up ?

+2
mikejack
Carlos Fandango
6 posters

Go down

Electrical hook up ? Empty Electrical hook up ?

Post by Carlos Fandango Thu 04 Jul 2013, 11:00 pm

We had our first night away last weekend , and was a great success smile! 
However when we went to leave , the battery was flat scratch head on our 1988 trooper was connected to an electrical hook up ? I had assumed that when it was "plugged in " all the electrics would be powered from the 240v supply.
A friend has said that the three pin socket is powered from the 240 hook up, but all the other things, int.lights, water pump and 12v socket were still feed from the battery, but an in built charger trickle charges the battery. Is this correct ? is there a way of checking if its charging ?
Thanks in advance
Russ
Carlos Fandango
Carlos Fandango

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Electrical hook up ? Empty Re: Electrical hook up ?

Post by mikejack Thu 04 Jul 2013, 11:30 pm

I am not familiar with your van but someone will be along who is but yes when on hookup all your 12v stuff runs from the battery. You should have a charger somewhere mines got a switch on the side so yours might and be off i also have a green light on the control panel that lights when on charge. To test put a multimeter across your leisure battery  and check the voltage without ehu lead and then with the ehu plugged in when on hookup you should get about 14v or a bit more.
mikejack
mikejack

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : medallion
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri 05 Jul 2013, 7:46 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Follow the above link to the handbook for a 1991 Trooper that should be similar in operation to yours.

At that time a second leisure (auxiliary) battery was optional and its sounds from your post that it was your starter battery that went flat, suggesting you don't have a leisure battery however your starter battery should be charged when on hook up - if the charger is switched on.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewart John Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:14 am

Hi

Also bear in mind that using your Van Radio for 3 or 4 days will drain your battery down if the van is not started up.    up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz 2.0 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:16 am

Hi wave 

Carlos Fandango wrote:A friend has said that the three pin socket is powered from the 240 hook up, but all the other things, int.lights, water pump and 12v socket were still feed from the battery, but an in built charger trickle charges the battery. Is this correct ?

Almost! The built in charger is usually a high current device capable of powering all the 12V equipment and charging the battery as well.

But:
Peter Brown wrote:At that time a second leisure (auxiliary) battery was optional and its sounds from your post that it was your starter battery that went flat, suggesting you don't have a leisure battery however your starter battery should be charged when on hook up - if the charger is switched on.
I’m sure I read somewhere on this forum that the charger was an option as well so it’s worth checking that it’s actually fitted.

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Otto Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:02 pm

G'day,yes the charger is an option as indeed is the leisure battery, Propex blown air heater etc. well worth fitting a proper caravan-style power-supply    which will work all your 12 volt lighting, water-pump, 12 volt socket, heater blower etc. while charging a leisure battery and indeed will happily work everything if the battery is removed or not required if always using a hookup, I fitted one from BCA Leisure and it works a treat with or without my leisure battery but I'm sure your local caravan dealer would be able to help if you're not sure,
All the best, Colin
Otto
Otto

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down