The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-using stick-on beam deflectors

+3
Bartfarst
bedford1984
travelgran
7 posters

Go down

Re-using stick-on beam deflectors Empty Re-using stick-on beam deflectors

Post by travelgran Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Can anyone advise on a safe glue we can use to re-use the headlamp beam deflectors we bought last year to travel abroad? Don't want to melt the headlamp cover! Or do we have to buy a new set each year? Or buy the £50 covers which still look from the kit pictures as though you stick a black patch over the beam as we used to do?
Thanks
travelgran
travelgran

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Re-using stick-on beam deflectors Empty beam deflectors

Post by bedford1984 Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:36 pm

have you thought about double sided tape which seems the best option so you can peel back off by leaving a bit of the paper on both sides hope this is usful
john
bedford1984
bedford1984

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : bedford cf 250

Back to top Go down

Re-using stick-on beam deflectors Empty Re: Re-using stick-on beam deflectors

Post by Bartfarst Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:13 pm

bedford1984 wrote:have you thought about double sided tape which seems the best option so you can peel back off by leaving a bit of the paper on both sides hope this is usful
john

I do a bit of photographic mounting and picture framing, and for print mounting I use sheets of double-sided mounting film from a 30m roll which I've found ideal for rejuvenating the deflectors, if you remove the existing remnants of the original adhesive first: a solvent may assist in this. If you (or anyone else) wants some then if you send me an C5 sized SAE I'll send sufficient for a couple of refurbs FOC.

Contact me by PM in the first instance.

Hope this helps.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:17 am

Our beam deflectors are stuck on a set of headlight protectors which are clipped on as and when required. Previously we used the "Universal Duck Tape" home made deflectors which I cut from a pattern each year (in the old days of glass headlights !!)
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:23 pm

I use double sided Sellotape bought from the local Post Office, stick 3 bits across each deflector, cut round the perimeter with scissors, peel off backing tape, place on headlight lens, Job Done!!
mikemelson
mikemelson
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:50 pm

I have a set of the £50 lamp covers which come with two black sticky patches. I have re-used the sticky plastic bits many times, after each continental trip removing the sticky patches and keeping them for next time. The lamp covers also have marks on them which show where the patches are to be fitted.
On the later vans with plastic headlight lenses there is no marking to show where to fit the patches.
I leave the covers on all of the time. One of my lens covers has a star shaped impact crack in it which, had I not had the covers fitted, would have damaged the headlight and that would have cost more to replace than the cost of the lamp covers.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi there,

I just line the vehicle up against the garage door before we leave and use a bit of black "Duck Tape" to kill the bit of light that goes down to the LEFT on "dip".

Been doing it for over fifteen years and have never had any complaints from the Police on the continent - but a bit difficult to clean off the glue when we get back home!

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround

Last edited by Dutto on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change "right" for "LEFT" - eejit!)
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down