The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol

+6
Paulmold
chrisvesey
AutoSleepy_Don
ian
peugeotboxer
mikebro
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol Empty New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol

Post by mikebro Mon May 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi.

Just about to send off for a replacement leisure battery for the Symbol. The present one has not been holding charge so I had it checked and sure enough two of the cells are down. I've measured up the space under the driver's seat (non- swivel type - battery comes out through the top with seat right forward) and have room for a 110ah battery as long as it's less than 240mm high (I've found one or two on Ebay). Due to the extra length, though, I will have to cut out the right hand hold down stud and, I guess, fabricate a replacement further to the right. if someone has done this already, I would be keen to know if the large bolts that hold down the battery tray go into captive nuts, or go into nuts that fall off when you undo the bolts. I think I will need to take out the tray to modify it. Or has someone got an alternative cunning plan for holding the larger battery down?

Thanks in advance

Mike
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol Empty Re: New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol

Post by peugeotboxer Mon May 27, 2013 3:20 pm

Others have done this.
Have you had a search?

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol Empty Re: New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol

Post by ian Mon May 27, 2013 3:23 pm

I haven't an answer for the question you ask but like you I'm needing to change my leisure battery. I have been checking prices and different specs. etc. and have come to the conclusion that in terms of value and effectiveness it will be better for me to change the size of my 'battery box'. Its a shame because it is so well constructed but I suppose like everything else things have to move on.

As part of my research I came across some very useful information as to 'best buy'. There are some really informative people 'out there'. I hope you find it as useful particularly the middle to later postings.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers Ian

ian
ian

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Mon May 27, 2013 4:52 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:Others have done this.
Have you had a search?

PB
Thanks but yes I have read all other previous threads I can find on this subject and could get no info on what actually needed to be done.

Rgds

Mike
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Mon May 27, 2013 6:06 pm

mikebro wrote:Hi.

Just about to send off for a replacement leisure battery for the Symbol. The present one has not been holding charge so I had it checked and sure enough two of the cells are down. I've measured up the space under the driver's seat (non- swivel type - battery comes out through the top with seat right forward) and have room for a 110ah battery as long as it's less than 240mm high (I've found one or two on Ebay). Due to the extra length, though, I will have to cut out the right hand hold down stud and, I guess, fabricate a replacement further to the right. if someone has done this already, I would be keen to know if the large bolts that hold down the battery tray go into captive nuts, or go into nuts that fall off when you undo the bolts. I think I will need to take out the tray to modify it. Or has someone got an alternative cunning plan for holding the larger battery down?

Thanks in advance

Mike

busby65 fitted a larger one to his Symphony which I believe may have very similar measurements to the Symbol?

If he doesn't see this post then suggest you PM him for some further details?

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Wed May 29, 2013 4:30 pm

ian wrote:I haven't an answer for the question you ask but like you I'm needing to change my leisure battery. I have been checking prices and different specs. etc. and have come to the conclusion that in terms of value and effectiveness it will be better for me to change the size of my 'battery box'. Its a shame because it is so well constructed but I suppose like everything else things have to move on.

As part of my research I came across some very useful information as to 'best buy'. There are some really informative people 'out there'. I hope you find it as useful particularly the middle to later postings.

Cheers Ian

Hi Ian,

The amount of information and advice on the above link was overwhelming!! In the end I could not find a battery that followed all the advice AND fitted under the driver's seat. So, I've decided for the time being to simply replace the battery with one the same size (Enduraline EXV90 from Tayna). If happy with this one, then longer term I will get another the same and modify the mounting arrangements to take the two batteries. Let us know how you get on!!

Thanks to all for the responses.

Mikebro
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Wed May 29, 2013 5:08 pm

SNAP! gimmefive

I bought the exact same battery yesterday and fitted it today.

I'm very happy with what I read and also the service from Tayna was excellent.

Expect a large package with lots of egg boxes!

Cheers Ian
ian
ian

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Wed May 29, 2013 7:48 pm

ian wrote:SNAP! gimmefive

I bought the exact same battery yesterday and fitted it today.

I'm very happy with what I read and also the service from Tayna was excellent.

Expect a large package with lots of egg boxes!

Cheers Ian

Brilliant smile! hugegrins

Mikebro
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Hi mikebro or ian,

The Eberspacher in my van will only start when the battery is in peak condition sensored1  and so I am once again in the familiar situation of trying to fit the largest battery I can into the annoyingly small holder under the drivers seat. sensored1  I would love to fit a 110Ah but they don't fit  sensored1 

I note you have fitted the "Enduraline EXV90 from Tayna"  which I think is this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Do you recommend this battery?

Thanks, Don
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:14 pm

Yes Don I'm very happy with the Exv90. It holds charge well. It is a bit taller than the original so I used the thick plastic sheet it came packed in on top to prevent any chance of contact with the seat. Not really necessary but there you go.

Mikebro
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:20 pm

HI,
remove the seat, four spline headed bolts,slide seat forward and remove two bolts then slide seat back and remove the two front bolts,, be aware that the seat is heavy so I stood at the back and put it on the settee. The battery is easy to lift out and the tray can be unbolted (the nuts are welded in place) you can now do whatever you wish. I fitted two batteries of the original size side by side turned 90 degrees. You need to remove the retaining bolts and relocate the relays and fuses. Be aware that the battery will sit on the bolt heads and need packing,
regards, Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 am

AutoSleepyDon,

The trouble with joining in a thread on your first post is that no-one knows you have joined the forum as not everyone reads every post. Why not say hello here....

and tell us a bit about yourself and your Autosleeper.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:22 pm

mikebro wrote:Yes  Don I'm very happy with the Exv90. It holds charge well. It is a bit taller than the original so I used the thick plastic sheet it came packed in on top to prevent any chance of contact with the seat. Not really necessary but there you go.

Mikebro
Great, thanks for the tip.
Battery arrived this morning from Tayna in good condition and well packaged.  Packaging is so nice it seems a shame to throw it away.

You obviously know the Enduroline does not have a lip at the bottom like the OE battery had, so I wonder how do you hold it down?

New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol Xxx10

New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol Batter11
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:54 pm

Yes, the Enduroline doesn't have a lip. What I did was to remove the plate that the battery sits on. I then drilled four holes in it so I could pass through two luggage straps. These are the type made of flat nylon material with like a pull-up buckle. With these threaded through the four holes, then the plate re-bolted in, then the battery re-installed, the straps can be passed over the battery and the buckles pulled up tight. Because I am intending to (eventually) turn the battery through 90 degrees and fit a second one, I also removed the "ledge holder" while I had the plate on the bench. It now serves no purpose and would just be in the way.

Hope the above is understandable. I can't take pictures as the van is still all tucked up for the winter.

Rgds

Mikebro
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks mikebro/Chris, I would not have had the confidence to remove the seat without your postings.

chrisvesey wrote:The battery is easy to lift out and the tray can be unbolted (the nuts are welded in place) you can now do whatever you wish.

Are these the bolts for the tray? i.e. unbolt these to remove the tray
New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol Bolts11
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:55 pm

yes those are they
chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:04 pm

I notice that your battery box is differen TV, mine is open at the front but the tray looks the same. if you fit two batteries turned 90degrees one battery will sit on one of the holding down bolts and will need a packer under it,
chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AS Rambler Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:08 pm

I fitted a second battery under the passenger seat. I used a small ratchet strap to secure it. The hooks fitted through the slats on the back panel. I cut a piece of aluminium to act as a tray. The battery is every bit as secure as the other one
good luck with whatever you decide - Peter
AS Rambler
AS Rambler

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rambler

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:33 pm

could not see any small ratchet straps on amazon or fleebay (plenty of beefy 5m ones).  This is what I have done.

New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol My_eff10

It seems sturdy, I torqued the end plates down against the string and gaffa taped over the wood packing but I might try again next weekend  scratch head
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:00 am

Hi, I think a better idea than string and gaffer tape would be a metal strap .
Should be easy to get a 1 to2 inch wide strip,bend to shape and a hole each end for nut and bolt secured.
I would only regard a string /gaffer tape as a get you home at best.
regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:50 am

I agree, string is not a good idea for a permanant fix.
These straps are only 25mm wide:

I know they are too long, but can be cut to the appropriate length.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:56 pm

I removed the 2 bolts (A) and the plate will not budge. All those bolts do is hold the frame to the floor. bugg*r.

The plate seems to be fastened underneath somehow and I cant feed a strap through underneath.  Maybe I could weld some hooks to the plate but with my DIY skills, that's probably out of the question.  There are a couple of thin bars (B) at the front and rear that are spot welded to the frame, not sure they would take the strain of straps.  Alternatively I might run the straps longitudinally off a plate held by the original bolts (c).

I need to get creative.

PS I bought this Symbol new in Sept 2002 and has not been modified.
 New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol B10

side view
New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol A10
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:31 pm

Sorry you can't get the plate out. My 2001 Symbol must be different, as it just took two bolts, which screwed into captive nuts in the main van floor, and the plate came right out. Looking at the pictures of your plate, perhaps you have room to drill some holes in the vertical edges? I didn't remove the seat at all, so needed to take the plate out to get at it with the drill. But with your seat removed, you can maybe get the drill in OK? 

Rgds

MikebroNew leisure battery for 2001 Symbol 248932417
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:39 pm

Hi there, my 2000 Symbol has a lip at the front of the seat base which the battery slides under, not the same as yours. I have a 110 amp hour battery fitted as well.

Best regards, Mike   courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Spent a couple of hours this morning replacing the string with loop straps with cams, rather than ratchets. Made terminal covers from Sugru silicone rubber, there is about 1cm clearance between top of terminal and bottom of seat.
Here is the result.

All I can say is the patent office will be busy on Monday morning.

New leisure battery for 2001 Symbol Finish10
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next