The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol athermic glass

3 posters

Go down

Symbol athermic glass Empty Symbol athermic glass

Post by sussex Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi folks,
Has anyone out there got any experience with the dark coloured athermic glass now fitted to the AS Symbol?
I'm a little concerned on two counts; one that the interior looks dark, does it also feel dark inside, and does the athermic glass eliminate condensation in cold winter weather as well or better than the former double glazed plastic window units, especially when heating is used?
Many thanks in anticipation
Sussex up!
sussex
sussex

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Symbol athermic glass Empty Re: Symbol athermic glass

Post by nimbus Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:04 pm

We've got it on our four year old Warwick Duo. It does decrease the light inside the van by a small amount, but not a problem. We sometimes get a small amount of condensation, particularly in the winter after cooking, but it's just a mist on the glass and never runs, unlike the condensation on the windscreen. I wouldn't say it's any worse than on our previous van with double glazed plastic windows.

The big advantage of the glass is that it's virtually impossible to see in from the outside during daylight. We often see people looking at the van not realising that we're looking at them!

I certainly wouldn't let it put me off buying a van.
nimbus

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Symbol athermic glass Empty AS Symbol athermic glass

Post by sussex Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:02 am

Hi Nimbus,
Thanks for your prompt reply. I had been wondering about the glass, worried about condensation and feeling dark inside but your comments are helpful as a user. I'll now try to arrange a visit to a showroom to take a real look, so far I've only seen them briefly at NEC shows!
Cheers
Sussex up!
sussex
sussex

Male

Back to top Go down

Symbol athermic glass Empty Re: Symbol athermic glass

Post by dbnosey Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:38 am

The only problem I have with the windows on my Warwick is. The windows are darkened by a film which is fitted at the factory. This can be damaged very easey which then leaves a hole in the film that allows light through. My view would be for AS to buy vans instead of mini-buses and fit the flush darkened plastic windows that were fitted to I think elddis caravans a few years ago.
That way you would have double glazing which also has the privacey.
dbnosey
dbnosey

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Symbol athermic glass Empty AS Symbol athermic glass

Post by sussex Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:57 am

Hi dbnosey,
Thanks for your reply, now there's something new! I hadn't realised that the windows could be damaged and holes made in them, assuming that they were made from coloured dark glass not an applied dark film. It will be interesting to see if any other members have had the same problems as you.
Many thanks for the caution,
Cheers
Sussex up!
sussex
sussex

Male

Back to top Go down