The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Athermic glass

+3
roli
Relaxez-Vous
WMartin
7 posters

Go down

Athermic glass Empty Athermic glass

Post by WMartin Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:29 pm

In the strong winds a few weeks ago, I smashed the back window of my Warwick XL. It went off like a bomb! I want the replacement to be the same specification but I can't find out what this is. I understand the vans come from Peugeot with the windows fitted, possibly coated, and AS attach the privacy film. My insurers want to fit standard green glass but I'm concerned this will look and behave differently to all the other windows. So, does anyone know what makes the glass athermic? Is it the film, a coating or the glass itself?
WMartin
WMartin

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Athermic glass Empty Re: Athermic glass

Post by Relaxez-Vous Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:49 pm

Do you have rear door restrictors that hold your Warwick XL rear doors open at 90 degrees?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:33 am

I think its Auto Windscreens that sort replacement windows  out for AutoSleepers from memory
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by WMartin Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:52 pm

Relaxez-Vous wrote:Do you have rear door restrictors that hold your Warwick XL rear doors open at 90 degrees?
I think so, but I've heard that some vans have been delivered with the restrictors missing. There is some restriction at 90 deg. but it's not difficult to open the doors wider. This is a photo of the offending door.

Athermic glass 1b1d2947-8f02-40cb-9a04-cbfc1d4c52a9
WMartin
WMartin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WMartin Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:01 pm

roli wrote:I think its Auto Windscreens that sort replacement windows  out for AutoSleepers from memory
Yes, that's right. Auto Windscreens are being helpful but, without the exact specification, we don't know if the glass they want to fit is athermic. They have used my chassis number to identify the part, but the glass appears to be standard green glass. i just need someone to confirm it has the desired athermic properties.
WMartin
WMartin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:33 pm

The glass is standard and it’s the tint that is used by Auto-sleeper that gives it its properties 5% suntek carbon tint is what is used

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WMartin Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:44 pm

FreelanderUK wrote:The glass is standard and it’s the tint that is used by Auto-sleeper that gives it its properties 5% suntek carbon tint is what is used
Thank you Chris, that's very helpful. Yous say this with some authority, have you had a similar problem?
Bill
WMartin
WMartin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:17 pm

Not me personally but a friend is going threw the same thing now, and is trying to get the black buttons fitted as a warranty item

Auto sleeper will sell you the film but charge a small fortune for it, they quoted £40 just for a piece large enough to do the sliding window on my van then I had to get it fitted , I just had a different tint put on,same colour outside but looking threw the window it has a brown tint

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:33 pm

Not sure if this helps or not, but this might be of use? They list 5% Suntek Carbon Tint. There are probably other companies who can supply it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : EX-SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2018

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:21 pm

The rear door black restrictor buttons were missing on our 2019 Kemerton XL. I followed the discussion in ASOF during late 2019. When I had to return to our local Peugeot dealer because an engine management warning light came on, I raised the issue of the missing restrictor buttons. Eventually they were fitted under warranty by the dealer.
The background story was that in Spring 2019 Fiat who supply the rear doors to Peugeot stopped fitting rear door restrictor buttons with the appropriate lever mechanism. It's not just the button itself, you need the correct metal lever restrictor thingy. Peugeot were not happy with Fiat and some months later the restrictors were reinstated during manufacture by Fiat.

So there's a batch of 2019 Ducato and Boxer vans that don't have rear door restrictors. Some will have gone on to become motorhomes where it doesn't matter about the rear doors. I have no idea how many vans are at risk of damage because of these missing restrictors.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WMartin Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:06 am

Relaxez-Vous wrote:The rear door black restrictor buttons were missing on our 2019 Kemerton XL. I followed the discussion in ASOF during late 2019. When I had to return to our local Peugeot dealer because an engine management warning light came on, I raised the issue of the missing restrictor buttons. Eventually they were fitted under warranty by the dealer.
The background story was that in Spring 2019 Fiat who supply the rear doors to Peugeot stopped fitting rear door restrictor buttons with the appropriate lever mechanism. It's not just the button itself, you need the correct metal lever restrictor thingy. Peugeot were not happy with Fiat and some months later the restrictors were reinstated during manufacture by Fiat.

So there's a batch of 2019 Ducato and Boxer vans that don't have rear door restrictors. Some will have gone on to become motorhomes where it doesn't matter about the rear doors. I have no idea how many vans are at risk of damage because of these missing restrictors.
Many thanks for this information. I think Peugeot call it the 'rear door retractable check strap system'.  As you can see from these photos, the system has not been fitted to my van - the hole is where the button should be. My back door swings open to 180° with very little resistance, hence the damage to the window and I think I need to get Peugeot to fit the mechanism to prevent further problems. 
Athermic glass 80345aca-b3ab-4b74-b638-23691e66dfdfAthermic glass 19f9ee5c-589f-4f73-930b-73f695af43b9
WMartin
WMartin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:22 pm

When I visited our Peugeot dealer JCT600 in Bradford in 2019 Service has already had a customer whose van had been damaged in the wind by the door swinging right round so they already knew.. The Parts Department who I first spoke to when I was there didn't know of this issue.
Our dealer took some photos of our van's door to send to Peugeot and some weeks later the dealer fitted the restrictors. It would have been sooner but they phoned when I was in a cafe and didn't hear them say they were ready to do the job.

I did remove the door trims myself before taking the van back for the dealer to do the work because though the trim panels had holes for the restrictor buttons they were covered by fabric. I wanted to break through the fabric and make as neat a job as possible and finishing off with some fabric glue.

At the time with the trim panels off it would have been better if I'd have had then some Dacron insulation to also beef up the insulation in our rear bathroom area. It can be a tad cold in there in winter. It's a job I still have to do.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WMartin Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:35 pm

Relaxez-Vous wrote:When I visited our Peugeot dealer JCT600 in Bradford in 2019 Service has already had a customer whose van had been damaged in the wind by the door swinging right round so they already knew.. The Parts Department who I first spoke to when I was there didn't know of this issue.
Our dealer took some photos of our van's door to send to Peugeot and some weeks later the dealer fitted the restrictors. It would have been sooner but they phoned when I was in a cafe and didn't hear them say they were ready to do the job.

I did remove the door trims myself before taking the van back for the dealer to do the work because though the trim panels had holes for the restrictor buttons they were covered by fabric. I wanted to break through the fabric and make as neat a job as possible and finishing off with some fabric glue.

At the time with the trim panels off it would have been better if I'd have had then some Dacron insulation to also beef up the insulation in our rear bathroom area. It can be a tad cold in there in winter. It's a job I still have to do.
Thanks again, this is really helpful.
WMartin
WMartin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:46 pm

Relaxez-Vous wrote:
RV,

I stuffed additional Dacron into the rear doors but it didn’t make much improvement to the Kemerton’s chilly shower room. What made a real difference was installing a 13A socket, thus allowing a small oil filled radiator to be put on the shelf behind the loo. It’s an improvement that requires us to be on EHU, but we usually opt for that when away in winter.

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Roymck Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:13 am

13 Amp socket in a shower room ! That’s not to be advised and positively dangerous .
Roymck
Roymck

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:00 am

I appreciate the concern but it’s not dangerous, thanks to the clever design of the Kemerton’s shower, which is fully enclosed by tambour doors. Showering is only practical with them shut tight so the socket is never at risk of water splash or ingress, and touching it while in the shower enclosure is impossible.  I may decide to replace it with a fixed heated towel rail, which removes any doubt about safety. If not, I would remove the socket before selling on the van, when the time comes.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down